BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stanley

I might be completely wrong here but I don't think away goals have ever counted in the play offs. Anyone?

Just been looking for that this is from Wikipedia

Before the 1999–2000 season away goals were used as a tie-breaker after extra time had been played, however, this was abolished following a club initiative launched by then-Ipswich Town chairman David Sheepshanks, after his club had twice lost on away goals in 1997 and 1999.[2] Since then away goals have played no part in the play-off system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_play-offs

Don't remember this proposal which was rejected, this is similar to the system that they use in Aus for the A league

A change to the format of the play-offs was proposed by Crystal Palace chief executive Phil Alexander in 2003. Alexander recommended expanding the number of teams in each play-off series from four to six, providing more clubs with a chance at promotion. Additionally, the two-legged semi-finals would have been replaced by one-off quarter-final and semi-final games, both of which would give home advantage to the team that finished higher during the league season. The two highest placed clubs in the play-off series would advance directly to the semi-final, while the other four clubs would contest the quarter-final

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 2

We knocked Watford out in the playoffs in 1989 on away goals

Blimey, you're not wrong. I wouldn't mind but I was there! The longest 2nd half ever. They had a clock at the other end of the ground and I swear it was going backwards at one point. I remember Garns scored but not them!

Wonder if there was any bets placed in the far east about a floodlight failure :) , anybody remember what game that was years ago were a betting syndicate won a fortune on that?

Edit Link http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/the-floodlights-went-out-ndash-and-an-asian-betting-syndicate-raked-in-a-fortune-2066133.html

Edited by perthblue02