BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stanley

Admittedly I only watched from 70 minutes onwards. But from what I saw Wimbledon just looked better.

soon as accy went 2-0 wimbledon went 433 and that basically changed the game. Unlucky Stanley!

Feel sorry for Stanley tbh, missed out on auto, then extra time in play-offs.

They never got going again after it restarted.

Hopefully Wimbledon go up, and get the derby games against MK Dons.

• Like 1

Blimey, you're not wrong. I wouldn't mind but I was there! The longest 2nd half ever. They had a clock at the other end of the ground and I swear it was going backwards at one point. I remember Garns scored but not them!

I was there as well, finished school at dinner time, my Dad set off to work at 2am to get home in time to set off to Watford only for my auntie to be late and we then missed Garners early goal :(

Also my Dad got told off he hadn't had his kids with him he would have been decked, apart from that what a great night, but then we had selhurst and Courtney still to come

Interestingly the teams that missed out on automatic promotion from all 3 divisions on the last day have been knocked out in the playoffs, Brighton, Walsall and Stanley, maybe they just didn't have the fight anymore

Edit: Walsall are virtually out

Edited by roverandout

I went on last night with a mate who actually supports them as his main club (seems a rare thing in the crown ground) and had the full intention of wanting stanley to win. But as the game progressed and I thought more about a potential bpool fleetwood scenario I must admit I wasn't bothered at all when they lost the tie. Won't go as far as to say I was glad but one less piranha in the tank I suppose.

Frankly I was more concerned with an early dart after being knackered from work so with the massive amounts of injury time, extra time, floodlight failure I would have taken any result expect penalties.

Edited by matt83

• 1 year later...

Eventually found a thread!

Remarkable win by Stanley at Luton this afternoon with the last kick of the match by all accounts. 

Now top of League 2 and 6 points clear of 4th. Will they hold their nerve and keep the automatic promotion spot this time around?

Still only getting 1,000 crowds.

• Moderation Lead
3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Another reason to get out of League 1 ASAP

Stanley being in the same league as Rovers would be nearly as awkward for me as when I went there for an away game in pre-season and our fans started chanting ‘Accy’s a sh1thole, I wanna go home’.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

For the smallest league club in England it's marvellous. They deserve a season at the next level.

Surely it’s Fleetwood? 

I’m all for their success, but playing the same league against them would be something else. It’s been bad enough playing again Fleetwood! We have to go up this season. 

They won again yesterday, and the gap between themselves and 4th is now 8 points. Barring some disaster, they’ll be in League 1 next season.

On 11/03/2018 at 19:29, only2garners said:

Fleetwood!! They're loaded compared to Stanley.

I was referring to population of both towns. 

Edited by scotchrover

10 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

They won again yesterday, and the gap between themselves and 4th is now 8 points. Barring some disaster, they’ll be in League 1 next season.

I was referring to population of both towns. 

Used to go watch Stanley before I was "allowed" to travel alone to the far side of Blackburn.  Used to live a stones throw from the Crown, my bus stop to town.

Followed em at home and away some times. Was there for the first game after reformation, Accrington Stanley 1968, Formby Town, won 2-1 I think, could be wrong on both counts. Went to some football hotbeds as Kirkby Town, travelling on the coach with the players.  Went to Altrincham for a night cup match.  Still watch for their results but the affair was over as soon as I figured out how to get to Rovers games without Mum and Dad finding out.