BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Most Famous Blackburn Lad Ever?

I have only just discovered that Barry Gray, composer of all the music and theme tunes for the Gerry Anderson Supermarionation series, was born and bred in Blackburn, receiving some of his musical education at the cathedral. Surely being the composer of such iconic tunes as Thunderbirds, Stingray, Fireball XL5, Joe 90, Captain Scarlett and the like makes him more widely appreciated than any other Blackburnian in history??

• Moderation Lead

Ian McShane was only born here while his Dad played for Rovers (who had also played for Man United), I don't think Ian was in the area long?

(Just checked his wiki, he grew up in Davyhulme, Greater Manchester).

Nah - He was a Man Utd fan

The question wasn't "Most famous Rovers fan ever?" though, was it?

As far as 'Blackburn Lads' go, if you take them at the peak of their popularity, Fogarty will be up there with Ian McShane. The likes of Jim Bowen (although he's probably not from Blackburn at all) and Russell Harty were hugely popular in their day, but perhaps only within these shores? I can't really think of any others.

Jack Walker?

Possibly, but you'd be surprised how many people haven't heard of him or think he's something to do with Walkers Crisps!! Foggy's superbikes wins were watched worldwide, and especially in Asia, which is why I plumped for him. That said, McShane has been in some big shows!

yes i agree, i just thought he deserved a mention that's all, fogarty is the obvious choice as like you say he is famous world wide and is a true Legend in his sport, ive no idea if any of the names being mentioned are true blackburners though(i.e, born and raised in the town)

Edited by T J Hooker
  • Like 1

Possibly, but you'd be surprised how many people haven't heard of him or think he's something to do with Walkers Crisps!!

Well its up to the fans to keep his name out there. No thanks to others the longer the club remains out the top flight the more people (outside Blackburn) will forget him. That angers me a great deal. Its no wonder I've never really wanted the club to "do business quietly" and keeping Jack's name out there is a major reason.

Ridiculous how media go on about Ferguson (vomit), Best (drunk who kept drinking after a transplant), Shankly, Clough, etc. I would say Jack tops the whole damn lot. (I liked clough and only read positive things about Shankly but Jack deserves mentions in the same breath)

Edited by VinjayV4

Possibly, but you'd be surprised how many people haven't heard of him or think he's something to do with Walkers Crisps!!

Being in the Premier League is best way to ensure his name is known nationwide/worldwide. Can't understand how a guy who rode a bike could be more famous than someone who was massive influence on the whole football industry.

I have only just discovered that Barry Gray, composer of all the music and theme tunes for the Gerry Anderson Supermarionation series, was born and bred in Blackburn, receiving some of his musical education at the cathedral. Surely being the composer of such iconic tunes as Thunderbirds, Stingray, Fireball XL5, Joe 90, Captain Scarlett and the like makes him more widely appreciated than any other Blackburnian in history??

I had no idea, great find EIT.

I'd say Matt Smith is possibly the most famous lad to come from Blackburn/Darwen simply because of the world wide showing of Dr Who, the shows massive in the states and puts his profile probably higher than anyone else, rivaled possibly by Ian Mcshane who starred in Dallas in the mid 80's and has gone on to have a very good career. Sadly every time I've heard Ian interviewed he claims to be from Manchester, well Ian you went to Bangor Street school thats not in Manchester!

I had no idea, great find EIT.

I'd say Matt Smith is possibly the most famous lad to come from Blackburn/Darwen simply because of the world wide showing of Dr Who, the shows massive in the states and puts his profile probably higher than anyone else, rivaled possibly by Ian Mcshane who starred in Dallas in the mid 80's and has gone on to have a very good career. Sadly every time I've heard Ian interviewed he claims to be from Manchester, well Ian you went to Bangor Street school thats not in Manchester!

Matt Smith was born and raised in Northampton I believe. His only connection to Blackburn was his grandad or something who live in Darwen and supported Rovers.

Matt Smith was born and raised in Northampton I believe. His only connection to Blackburn was his grandad or something who live in Darwen and supported Rovers.

I thought he was born here and lived with his grandparents as a child, maybe not!

Alfred Wainwright

Russell Harty

Will Greenwood

Being in the Premier League is best way to ensure his name is known nationwide/worldwide. Can't understand how a guy who rode a bike could be more famous than someone who was massive influence on the whole football industry.

He's a world champion. What more do you want?

Ian McShane was only born here while his Dad played for Rovers (who had also played for Man United), I don't think Ian was in the area long?

(Just checked his wiki, he grew up in Davyhulme, Greater Manchester).

He even mentions he's from Manchester in the TV series Deadwood.