BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Most Famous Blackburn Lad Ever?

Another little known one, starred in every episode of one of arguably the big US tv shows of the seventies and all spin off movies (6), might not know the name but the face? the guy above "grandma" and now a respected guitarist / musician Jon Walmsley

large.jpg

That's a pretty impressive CV! I wonder how he got from Blackburn to the Waltons

Vinjay - we are in the I Can't Believe it's Not Football message board FYI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Walmsley http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0909455/

No matter how he protests, Vinjay abandoned Rovers for City. That is unforgiveable and he has abandoned his right to lecture anybody else about disloyalty.

I went to a few games there with a friend that was it you can call it glory hunting or whatever. To be honest I probably will go to the Etihad again because I like the club (I liked City before 2008 and they don't play in the same league as Rovers at the moment anyway) someone on here said they attended the Dynamo game recently presumably as a neutral. OK maybe if I attend its slightly more than just being a "neutral" but going there was the only thing I enjoyed about football at that point. Even then I was still miserable most of the time.

Look I know it comes across as "sympathy seeking" but what else can I say? Don't people know what depression is? Its like I said its been much better recently (going to the doctors and getting counselling helps) and if you don't believe me just look at the timing. I assure you that simply appointing Lambert (I've supported his appointment as you can see) wasn't the reason.

For goodness sake I'm guilty as hell of taking football too seriously but this is real life. Abuse and arguments take their toll on someone who's already depressed than someone who isn't. You don't know how it felt for me (especially at that time) being told I wasn't a real fan simply for refusing to wish luck to Phil Jones. Yet after stuff like that and other countless examples people are shocked that I left! If you seriously think my extreme anger (and admittedly often obnoxious) attitude in the past was just down to a bad temper you're wrong.

You need to seriously calm the kean down matey, getting that stressed over something as trivial as this is not good for you.

Believe me I've handled stress a lot better recently for the most part. As you say however "not good for you" and if you recall I was kicked out of Ewood. I did that because I was at an extreme level of stress. Believe me I have social anxiety and honestly don't want publicity which is the reason I stick to forums. I call it social anxiety you can call it being a coward hiding behind a keyboard if you like! if I wanted publicity why on earth did I leave at that point? Surely that would have made no sense? How do you know a ban wouldn't have followed soon after. I was lucky not to be arrested for trespassing! I'm not trying to come across as a martyr (I'm not) its simply my nature to defend myself. If people get upset about Kean and Venkys (and rightly so) nobody would call that trivial. A lot of that is about what they have done to Jack's legacy so really its along the same lines.

Yes Jack never courted publicity (going on the pitch to celebrate or speak to the fans are the most public things he did) but it bothers me that he isn't more famous than he is. Especially when people like Ferguson (and yes I note the media lovefest for United) get constant eulogies written about them probably by journalists he's threatened to ban in the past. Egomaniacs like him being referred to as "sir" while a good, decent man like Jack gets nothing in comparison.

That's another reason why I've complained so much about "local mentality." Its about protecting his legacy AND wanting him to be remembered for ever. I was always a huge fan of Jack even at my lowest point that never wavered. Maybe I should just let the obsession with this go (nobody can say I haven't spoken up for Jack though its not like I made a big PR stunt out of going to his gravesite like BRAG did) but you know why its hard? Because I am loyal regardless of what you think.

If this isn't the last post I make on this thread (on this subject at least) please suspend my posting for a few days. I'm tired of talking about it and we are never going to totally agree are we?

Pub connection .. Names gone

Edit centurion his folks used to have the centurion I think .

Old jam is right turning your back on your team is sacralige

I'm sorry Abbey but there's no point debating with you because you're so "black and white" about everything. In some ways we are similar though because we both have our own "pet subjects" (such as you with Venkys which I agree with) that we find hard to control.

Edited by VinjayV4

Believe me I've handled stress a lot better recently for the most part. As you say however "not good for you" and if you recall I was kicked out of Ewood. I did that because I was at an extreme level of stress. Believe me I have social anxiety and honestly don't want publicity which is the reason I stick to forums. I call it social anxiety you can call it being a coward hiding behind a keyboard if you like! if I wanted publicity why on earth did I leave at that point? Surely that would have made no sense? How do you know a ban wouldn't have followed soon after. I was lucky not to be arrested for trespassing! I'm not trying to come across as a martyr (I'm not) its simply my nature to defend myself. If people get upset about Kean and Venkys (and rightly so) nobody would call that trivial. A lot of that is about what they have done to Jack's legacy so really its along the same lines.

Yes Jack never courted publicity (going on the pitch to celebrate or speak to the fans are the most public things he did) but it bothers me that he isn't more famous than he is. Especially when people like Ferguson (and yes I note the media lovefest for United) get constant eulogies written about them probably by journalists he's threatened to ban in the past. Egomaniacs like him being referred to as "sir" while a good, decent man like Jack gets nothing in comparison.

That's another reason why I've complained so much about "local mentality." Its about protecting his legacy AND wanting him to be remembered for ever. I was always a huge fan of Jack even at my lowest point that never wavered. Maybe I should just let the obsession with this go (nobody can say I haven't spoken up for Jack though its not like I made a big PR stunt out of going to his gravesite like BRAG did) but you know why its hard? Because I am loyal regardless of what you think.

If this isn't the last post I make on this thread (on this subject at least) please suspend my posting for a few days. I'm tired of talking about it and we are never going to totally agree are we?

If Jack wasn't bothered about being famous, why on earth should you be bothered on his behalf?

And you say Jack got nothing in comparison to SAF. Well, I'll tell you something that Jack got. Wealth that us ordinary folk could only ever dream about, and as a direct consequence of that, living the dream of funding his beloved football club and allowing them to bloody a few noses and win things, including being champions of England. Thankfully, he was able to share that part of his adventure with the rest of us. While I'll be eternally grateful for that, the man is dead and buried now and if he didn't court publicity while he was alive he'll hardly give a stuff now, will he?

I don't know you, and I'm not really familiar with your history, but as someone who has suffered his own mental health issues in the past, I do genuinely sympathise and empathise with you in lots of ways, but you're like an alcoholic that keeps going back to the bottle. There are some things you'll never, ever be able to change or even influence, but you keep on picking at the scab, and I suspect doing yourself harm in the process. Then there are some areas where you actually do have interesting things to contribute, and perhaps a slightly different perspective to many of us, which is often a good thing. The trick for you Vinjay is to develop a safety valve that allows you to filter out what to get involved in and what to ignore.

Take it easy pal.

• Like 1

The trick for you Vinjay is to develop a safety valve that allows you to filter out what to get involved in and what to ignore.

Bang on couldn't have summed it up any better. I'm fully aware of it when I came here in 2005 I mentioned the Walker family/trustees in virtually every post. In 2009 it was a bit better and even people like Ste B (one of the main people who endured me at my worst) have said my posts have been better recently since returning. Unfortunately it has lapsed again but I'll work on it.

Thankfully I've avoided alcohol and drug problems (don't drink though that's largely more personal taste than lifestyle and I've always been sensible enough to listen regarding drugs) though I've been on sertraline recently and its helped. I do have a bad habit of drinking too much Pepsi/Coke though...lot of caffeine. Also on the border of being underweight (probably slightly crossing it) but that's more physical than mental.

If Rovers were in the PL then Jack's name would be more notable. Everyone agrees Jack wanted the former but they go hand in hand. Just as his takeover went hand in hand with publicity he mostly didn't want excluding his rare pitch appearances. Even with that he probably needed encouragement. Though I imagine his attempt to motivate the crowd against Forest was his idea (which was quite successful its the game that was a bloody disaster!) as nobody could have had that effect more than him. I've also been making edits to Jack's wikipedia profile its not lengthy enough.

As for what I said earlier about suspending me please don't lol! Only if I post about this on the thread again!

Edited by VinjayV4
  • Like 1

That's a pretty impressive CV! I wonder how he got from Blackburn to the Waltons

Remember reading something a while ago (and if I remember rightly) that his brother or sister was quite ill and the family decided to move to California for the sunshine , think he was about 5 when they moved.

Maybe oldjamfan can shed some light on the above

Edited by perthblue02

Remember reading something a while ago (and if I remember rightly) that his brother or sister was quite ill and the family decided to move to California for the sunshine , think he was about 5 when they moved.

Maybe oldjamfan can shed some light on the above

Yes I think that was the story. He has quite a few relatives still living in Darwen, mainly second cousins and their offspring. There is obviously a musical gene in the family - my granddad (his great uncle if I've worked it out correctly) was a well known local musician and ballroom dancer in his day.

• Like 1

Bang on couldn't have summed it up any better. I'm fully aware of it when I came here in 2005 I mentioned the Walker family/trustees in virtually every post. In 2009 it was a bit better and even people like Ste B (one of the main people who endured me at my worst) have said my posts have been better recently since returning. Unfortunately it has lapsed again but I'll work on it.

Thankfully I've avoided alcohol and drug problems (don't drink though that's largely more personal taste than lifestyle and I've always been sensible enough to listen regarding drugs) though I've been on sertraline recently and its helped. I do have a bad habit of drinking too much Pepsi/Coke though...lot of caffeine. Also on the border of being underweight (probably slightly crossing it) but that's more physical than mental.

If Rovers were in the PL then Jack's name would be more notable. Everyone agrees Jack wanted the former but they go hand in hand. Just as his takeover went hand in hand with publicity he mostly didn't want excluding his rare pitch appearances. Even with that he probably needed encouragement. Though I imagine his attempt to motivate the crowd against Forest was his idea (which was quite successful its the game that was a bloody disaster!) as nobody could have had that effect more than him. I've also been making edits to Jack's wikipedia profile its not lengthy enough.

As for what I said earlier about suspending me please don't lol! Only if I post about this on the thread again!

More power to your elbow says I. Kudos for winning the battle with such a terrible condition.

• Like 2

I was at school in Brinscall then Chorley with one of Steven Pembertons younger brothers and they lived in a big gaff in Charnock Richard in the mid/late 80's. I don't really remember much about Steven but my mate Lee, his dad and other younger brother were huge Man Yoo fans.

Doesn't mean they didn't originate from Blackburn, I can't remember but I was under the impression they lived Brinscall way before Charnock Richard and Steven maybe just went to school there.

I have only just discovered that Barry Gray, composer of all the music and theme tunes for the Gerry Anderson Supermarionation series, was born and bred in Blackburn, receiving some of his musical education at the cathedral. Surely being the composer of such iconic tunes as Thunderbirds, Stingray, Fireball XL5, Joe 90, Captain Scarlett and the like makes him more widely appreciated than any other Blackburnian in history??

Barry Gray is all over radio 2 at the moment EIT, Janis Long had Blackburn as a theme on her show on radio 2 Weds night at midnight, you catch it on the iplayer.

Stuart Maconie's freakier zone on Radion 6 also has the music of Barry Gray, thats available for 23 days.

You mentioned him, and having never heard of the chap myself his names cropping up everywhere!

Sure I saw someone mention Finney and his wife once clearly implying something negative? What was that all about or is it even accurate? Never heard anything negative about Finney as a person (or player) really other than that veiled reference.

Jack was born in Blackburn without doubt unless his Mum and Dad lied to him for no apparent reason. There's a plaque on Randal Street unless some scum has nicked it again.

Edited by VinjayV4

Sure I saw someone mention Finney and his wife once clearly implying something negative? What was that all about or is it even accurate? Never heard anything negative about Finney as a person (or player) really other than that veiled reference.

Jack was born in Blackburn without doubt unless his Mum and Dad lied to him for no apparent reason. There's a plaque on Randal Street unless some scum has nicked it again.

Correct, Dads family lived next door but one

• 2 years later...

Image result for wainwright blue plaque  Blue Plaque at 331 Audley Range

This is an old thread but I've been reading Wainwright's biography recently and I didn't realise he was the founder member of the BRFC Supporters Club.

There's a picture of him with Eric Robson(the man who did the BBC Documentaries on Wainwright in the mid-1980's) in the book stood on the centre circle at Ewood Park towards the end of AW's life. Can't find it on t'net though sadly. Wainwright called it his 'favourite piece of grass'. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't understand why you're trying to fight this battle on 2 forums Vinjay? 

Xenophobia, racism and downright irrational hatred of certain groups isn't recognisable to many who frequent this site, so no wonder posters are not that interested. 

You'd be better served fighting the battle on - http://roversfans.com/ surely?

• 5 years later...
On 30/03/2016 at 11:32, ABBEY said:

Pub connection .. Names gone

Edit centurion his folks used to have the centurion I think .

Old jam is right turning your back on your team is sacralige

That surprised me. I came from highercoft. It was the roughest place you’ve ever been in. Once had a fight in there and got hit over the head with a gun and the is true 

On 13/10/2023 at 22:34, Boroblue said:

That surprised me. I came from highercoft. It was the roughest place you’ve ever been in. Once had a fight in there and got hit over the head with a gun and the is true 

I have worked on some of the toughest social housing estates in the UK, including a couple in Glasgow and North Lanarkshire that are like the Wild West. Imagine Shameless on steroids.

Highercroft wasn’t even the roughest estate in Blackburn when I worked there. It just about made the top three, along with Green Lane and Shad.

Edited to add: And as is always the case, there were nuances and some very good decent people within each estate - I’m talking about the extremes. There was a street on Green Lane estate called Railton Avenue (I think) that I could write a book about - real tough people.

Edited by oldjamfan1