BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lambert Leaving!

I'd be very surprised if Lambert took the job in the first place without being told there were plans in place to make a serious push for promotion. I just can't see why he would take it otherwise. So, here's what I reckon happened:

Lambert was told we'd get out of the embargo and we did. He was told he'd be able to get some players in during the January window, with a limited budget, but he would have the Rhodes money to spend in the summer (and possibly more). So far so good.

Around Feb/March time Lambert started putting plans in place for the summer. He submitted the plans to the board, and probably requested feedback from them within a week or two so he could start to put his plans in place. The deadline came and went, and in whatever communication Lambert does have with India (calls, emails etc) he was met with various stalling tactics. After a while he grew suspicious and that's when he started going public with his concerns.

Myers announced his resignation as he could see the writing on the wall. Lambert probably told the out-of-contract players and his staff what was going on, or what wasn't in effect, as he felt it was unfair to keep them hanging. It's around this time that performances started to drop off as some players feared injury may affect their next move, or quite simply lost the motivation to play at their best any more. Not right but understandable imo.

Lambert was probably told that he'd get final word on his plans when the Venky's representative, this Pasha fella, turned up to Ewood in person. That happened this week, he was obviously told that his plans would not be met, so he's off.

Somewhere between January and March Venkys seem to have changed their minds about the future plans. Whether it was the accounts coming out, the relative under performance of Venky's companies in India, or a lack of confidence in Lambert we will probably never know, but I suspect it's more to do with finance than football.

So we are left now with no management structure in place both for football and non-football activities.

Venkys could appoint a competent board over the summer, appoint a competent manager, and give him whatever limited budget we have to get players in. He may even get to spend whatever money he generates from sales, which would at least give the new manager a fighting chance of rebuilding the squad to a decent standard. Or, Venkys could be on a major cost-cutting exercise where a new board and manager are recruited on the cheap and are instructed to sell anything that moves. Only time will tell on that one, but I think I know which direction we're going in.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Blackpool situation is worse than ours - a real race to the bottom.

Totally agree though it's not much consolation :(

One thing that drives them on though is they are having an almost face to face war with those responsible. They are making his life awkward at the very least, also he might end up in jail. Very much where he belongs.

This can surely come as no great surprise, the mere fact that Lambert had a release clause in shows he was not fully committed to us and that as I suspected at the time he viewed us as a short term stepping stone to try and restore his reputation. Shame for him it's not panned out like that.

As it is I view Lambert's tenure as an absolute disaster. Sold our star striker on the last day of the transfer window, replaced him with no-one and we won't have a single striker at the Club come July 2nd. He's also filled the team with loan signings when a large proportion of the squad are out of contract in summer and quality permanent signings were needed to build going forward.

So basically, comes in, does a crap job, sells our major asset, doesn't replace him, leaves us with hardly any players going forward, and his successor with a nigh on impossible task, then walks out.

Cheers Paul. What a knob.

You are mad he sold Jordan. He would have had usovin up with the right backing. It seems.you are not allowed to come in and tell the world just how f'd ip Venktwat@#/?wits are. Uou know, I pretty much don't give a toss amymore. We have to get em out. Full stop, they gotta go..

I think the Blackpool situation is worse than ours - a real race to the bottom.

I don't.

They have no debt which puts them in a much better position than us. We may have the league position in our favour but as you say it's a real race to the bottom.

I don't want to be pedantic but I said he didn't offer MUCH criticism.

And he didn't....

Well here's one supporter of another club who was more than capable of reading between the lines of Paul Lambert's comments and picking up on the implicit damning criticism of the state of the club:

http://boards.footymad.net/rotherhamunited-mad/2109395618/#UWhoafIPOW7BR9Cr.97

I'm out.

Will attend any protest thats arranged as I always have but I refuse to support the club THEY OWN. Marsh and Duffy will leave, Hanley probably too, Graham will go elsewhere, no self respecting manager will come given the circumstances of PL leaving, there will be gates of 7000, there will be no investment to the playing squad and we will get relegated. Save your money chaps and put it towards a decent holiday because although the club needs support, THEY dont deserve it.

Past the point of being shocked or emabarassed or dissapointed but thats me... finished.

If they or any or their representatives read this messageboard... A word of advice... Dont ever come to Ewood for your own safety.

Or.holiday in the States, lot's of grassy.knolls round where I live. Where's the Stanley thread? We'd best start to familiarize ourselves with the players names cos in 2 years they will be the only local club we can support.

A couple of months ago, I mentioned on the forum that I had been working down at PNE for a couple of matches and was speaking to someone well connected at PNE (just after shaws departure). I was told that Shaw had left because he knew "exactly what was coming" and that "the rest will be jumping ship soon" - there was a few sarcy comments as there always is. I did some more digging and again reported on here that staff were in danger of not being paid and the club had no money left, and a comment of "your lot will be Bolton next season, no two ways about it". I have always wondered how true this was as I couldn't really get to the bottom of it, asked Wheelcock, he wasn't aware, well...................................................

Lambert did something, non of the other managers did before.. he walked away, and didnt stay and take the money, despite knowing what a bunch of lunatics he has to deal with. If he walked because he didnt want his career tarnished next season then so be it, but because the owners cant give him the support, then he was right to walk away and pack it in. Just like many fans have walked away, and just like many fans are about to do now. Its not a matter of forgetting the club, or what the club means to them, never, but its something that has to be done, in the hope that Venkys give up themselves.

If Venkys had shown an ounce of interest, they would have been at Ewood, discussing things, ways forward, plans, and to rectify the huge mistakes they have made, and to restore the faith in the fans. But they have for the last 6 years failed miserably, so you cannot blame Lambert for saying "you know what, this is not for me, and nobody deserves it, not me, not the club and certainly not the fans"

if people think Lambert is a coward for jumping ship, then you seriously need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture here. If you cant see the big picture, then take another big step back until you go back 7 or so years when were in the Premier League, under solid board structure, with an experienced manager in charge. Then take a step forward from there 1 year on, and see what happened in the space of a year since that forgetful day when Venkys rolled into town to cause utter destruction.

This can surely come as no great surprise, the mere fact that Lambert had a release clause in shows he was not fully committed to us and that as I suspected at the time he viewed us as a short term stepping stone to try and restore his reputation. Shame for him it's not panned out like that.

As it is I view Lambert's tenure as an absolute disaster. Sold our star striker on the last day of the transfer window, replaced him with no-one and we won't have a single striker at the Club come July 2nd. He's also filled the team with loan signings when a large proportion of the squad are out of contract in summer and quality permanent signings were needed to build going forward.

So basically, comes in, does a crap job, sells our major asset, doesn't replace him, leaves us with hardly any players going forward, and his successor with a nigh on impossible task, then walks out.

Cheers Paul. What a knob.

Are you on Venkys payroll???

A couple of months ago, I mentioned on the forum that I had been working down at PNE for a couple of matches and was speaking to someone well connected at PNE (just after shaws departure). I was told that Shaw had left because he knew "exactly what was coming" and that "the rest will be jumping ship soon" - there was a few sarcy comments as there always is. I did some more digging and again reported on here that staff were in danger of not being paid and the club had no money left, and a comment of "your lot will be Bolton next season, no two ways about it". I have always wondered how true this was as I couldn't really get to the bottom of it, asked Wheelcock, he wasn't aware, well...................................................

I remember you posting this and I think I put it down to maybe bitterness from Shaw doing the rounds. However I really think they've finally hung us out to dry and have been pushing deals through to pay the bills since Cairney was sold out of the blue so no doubt what you've heard has some truth to it.

If we start selling again which I expect then it's obvious.

By the way ask Wheelock what time it is and he'll say 'don't know, have to check, i'll get back to you'

I think a lot of people would take next season being like Bolton this season if it meant the debt was wiped out and new owners arrived.

Bolton have had the season from hell and are going into League One. But the apparent £180 million debt has all but gone and its a new dawn for them. They've had numerous High Court hearings and came close to liquidation. But they are still there. They have new owners who know how to relate to supporters and whilst they don't have much money appear to have some sort of plan to get them back up to the Championship.

From your view point, everything in the garden is smelling of roses. Another on Venkys payroll???

Probably another on free tickets from cosying up, no wonder some won't condem what's going on. Myers knew what he was doing getting in amongst certain sections.

This season was over after 7 games for me and it was obvious that relegation was an immediate concern. It was pretty clear we would struggle using the lesser players recruited under Bowyer (that we somehow manage to pay 10k per week). The turmoil of the last few months is slowly being revealed and we can now all understand how results and performances have fallen away.

No blame on Lambert for me. Keeping us up was vital and it is pretty obvious he was attracted by a longer term project and pretty clear he has been lied to and misled. Hardly suprising really and as we all presumed a man of his word with some integrity would not hang around for long in a culture of lies and mistrust, coupled with zero ambition, organisation or communication.

Amazing that these owners can put a positively negative slant on next season before THIS season is even finished. Masters at work.

The writing is definitely on the wall here.

HOPEFULLY we can maintain Rovers in its current form. Starting as a phoenix club, would be a long, hard difficult road to come back from and take decades to get anywhere near where we are even at now.

One thing positive out of it all when it goes belly-up; is that it should help reunite the fan base and the town, and hopefully energize everyone once again.

I find it absolutely astounding that a few posters are happy to see the back of him, this is just about as bad as it gets. A reputable manager that on the face of it has had his plans for getting the club back on track just thrown back in his face.

This situation can only get worse, it can't get any better.

Jack Walker deserves better than this, I'm going to the Reading game, but after that I'm finished until the @#/? off back under the rock from where they came.

Enough is enough.

Me too Gav, granted results were not what they could have been but I think if backed he would have had us on the up. We definately became fitter, but that in itself was detrimental to some performamces. I don't think the players brought in were as bad as some make out

We.won't be seeing Graham back that's a given. Venkies experience.with.Lambert has.gauranteed one thing, as long as they are.here.we.will never.see an experienced manager at the helm, no they.can't deal with that, let's stick to the passive does.as.they are.told rookies who won'take waves

I think a lot of people would take next season being like Bolton this season if it meant the debt was wiped out and new owners arrived.

Bolton have had the season from hell and are going into League One. But the apparent £180 million debt has all but gone and its a new dawn for them. They've had numerous High Court hearings and came close to liquidation. But they are still there. They have new owners who know how to relate to supporters and whilst they don't have much money appear to have some sort of plan to get them back up to the Championship.

Agree mate.

• Moderation Lead

I remember you posting this and I think I put it down to maybe bitterness from Shaw doing the rounds. However I really think they've finally hung us out to dry and have been pushing deals through to pay the bills since Cairney was sold out of the blue so no doubt what you've heard has some truth to it.

If we start selling again which I expect then it's obvious.

By the way ask Wheelock what time it is and he'll say 'don't know, have to check, i'll get back to you'

That bit in bold made me laugh. Thankyou, I needed that!

I'd be very surprised if Lambert took the job in the first place without being told there were plans in place to make a serious push for promotion. I just can't see why he would take it otherwise. So, here's what I reckon happened:

Lambert was told we'd get out of the embargo and we did. He was told he'd be able to get some players in during the January window, with a limited budget, but he would have the Rhodes money to spend in the summer (and possibly more). So far so good.

Around Feb/March time Lambert started putting plans in place for the summer. He submitted the plans to the board, and probably requested feedback from them within a week or two so he could start to put his plans in place. The deadline came and went, and in whatever communication Lambert does have with India (calls, emails etc) he was met with various stalling tactics. After a while he grew suspicious and that's when he started going public with his concerns.

Myers announced his resignation as he could see the writing on the wall. Lambert probably told the out-of-contract players and his staff what was going on, or what wasn't in effect, as he felt it was unfair to keep them hanging. It's around this time that performances started to drop off as some players feared injury may affect their next move, or quite simply lost the motivation to play at their best any more. Not right but understandable imo.

Lambert was probably told that he'd get final word on his plans when the Venky's representative, this Pasha fella, turned up to Ewood in person. That happened this week, he was obviously told that his plans would not be met, so he's off.

Somewhere between January and March Venkys seem to have changed their minds about the future plans. Whether it was the accounts coming out, the relative under performance of Venky's companies in India, or a lack of confidence in Lambert we will probably never know, but I suspect it's more to do with finance than football.

So we are left now with no management structure in place both for football and non-football activities.

Venkys could appoint a competent board over the summer, appoint a competent manager, and give him whatever limited budget we have to get players in. He may even get to spend whatever money he generates from sales, which would at least give the new manager a fighting chance of rebuilding the squad to a decent standard. Or, Venkys could be on a major cost-cutting exercise where a new board and manager are recruited on the cheap and are instructed to sell anything that moves. Only time will tell on that one, but I think I know which direction we're going in.

The suspicious thing for me is the so called get out clause. Was it real or was he only ever on a short term deal with a view to getting it extended ?

With a two and a half year contract if you get sacked, get yourself sacked or agree mutual consent that's a hell of a lot of money. Not many would choose to just walk away like that especially given Venkys rep for paying people off. I think the plan was only ever for them to 'have a look' at each other and see how it goes with a view to hopefully kicking on. Hence he's frustrated but there is certainly no bitterness as there would be if he'd been totally hoodwinked.

From their side of it I definitely think he's been used to oversee the Rhodes exit with as little damage as possible, I certainly think that was on their minds as well.

I'm not saying I blame him but I do think this has been his end game for quite a while now

I think all this dates back to March, if not before, and the Myers' issue. PL said at the time that there would be a story to unfold/unfurl in due course. I have thought all along that money, or lack of it, was behind the Myers' issue. I think in due course we will hear more as I doubt Myers/PL will be hamstrung by NDAs.

I don't.

They have no debt which puts them in a much better position than us. We may have the league position in our favour but as you say it's a real race to the bottom.

They have no training ground to speak of, they don't own their own ground - they are currently one league below us, possibly two by the end of the season.

I agree they have no debt - but not certain how long that will continue - though they do have a long way to go to catch up with us on that front.

The majority of our debt is owed to the Venky's - not certain whether that is a good thing or not.

Archived