• Billy Davies
    • Keith Hill
    • Alan Stubbs
    • Gareth Ainsworth
    • Alan Irvine
    • Paul Jewell
    • Phil Parkinson
    • Uwe Rosler

The clappers gonna clap ... No matter how much damage is being done .

Long-time reader here, think it is my first post - Abbey you can't call anyone a Rovers Fan when you bought a season ticket whilst Kean was here in our first season in the championship. If you were willing to contribute towards paying that cretins wages, don't get all high and mighty and call other people Rovers Fans. You sound so hypocritical seen as you didn't have the bottle to boycott when the manager was literally tearing the club to pieces.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joyce was interviewed yesterday. Package agreed. He's asked for certain things re whole set up of the club etc. Wants to build the club from top to bottom. If he gets the right answer, the deal is done!

FYI - tough, tough guy. No messing and certainly no puppet.

Thanks for the info Mani, much appreciated. If he ends up as boss then it's better than having someone we already know is rubbish like Redfern....I guess that is where we are at now :/

Do you happen to know what became of Warnock in all of this?

Thanks for the info Mani, much appreciated. If he ends up as boss then it's better than having someone we already know is rubbish like Redfern....I guess that is where we are at now :/

Do you happen to know what became of Warnock in all of this?

No mate, in fairness they could have deals like this in place with several guys. Not sure why they'd 'formally' approach United if he wasn't the guy they wanted though. Plus, he actually fits the original brief doesn't he?

Plus, the club has spent a lot of money on the academy...

Long-time reader here, think it is my first post - Abbey you can't call anyone a Rovers Fan when you bought a season ticket whilst Kean was here in our first season in the championship. If you were willing to contribute towards paying that cretins wages, don't get all high and mighty and call other people Rovers Fans. You sound so hypocritical seen as you didn't have the bottle to boycott when the manager was literally tearing the club to pieces.

I was on the protests so jog on mouthy newbie

In Abbeys defence I don't think any of us fans knew the best thing to do during the Kean era, protesting at the ground before and at the end of matches seemed like the right thing to do by a lot of people and I'm sure Abbey will have been one of the loudest voices in those protests.

In a normal situation you would expect something like those protests to have worked to a greater extent than we did. The longer it has gone on the more people have started to give up, it takes time for a hardcore football fan to turn their back on going to watch their team.

It's very difficult to stop going to watch your team no matter how bad it gets because it's part of who you are as a person. Wow that sounded quite deep actually....Venkys Out! Down with this sort of thing, etc.

No mate, in fairness they could have deals like this in place with several guys. Not sure why they'd 'formally' approach United if he wasn't the guy they wanted though. Plus, he actually fits the original brief doesn't he?

Yep, you are right there. Thanks fella!

Plus, the club has spent a lot of money on the academy...

Not a puppet ? Ok .

Not a puppet ? Ok .

Haha mate, the guy manages everything under the first team at United and is ridiculously well thought of. Takes no crap off anyone. The assurances he's seeking are more in relation to running and control than cash (opposite to PL)

Then he won't get those assurances. Lambert didn't and Warnock didn't I'd suggest.

In any case the lying barstewards will reneg whenever they feel like it.

We are off on another Venky adventure and they are always short-lived.

Weep for the club.

He's not Walter Joyce's son from the 60s/70s is he? Walter and his family would be well known to Duggie.

Did he also play for Bumley?!!

The question is...can our Academy take us where we need to go?

And it sounds like the Venkys still believe the original Kentaro vision.

• Backroom

You know I would be relatively hopeful about Joyce, for every 100 Kidds there is a Mourinho lurking.

Youth managers and coaches can make the step up at times, much rather him than a Redfearn.

If we could talk Warnock into coming in as a director of football type it could be a perfect balance

Day 26 of managerial 'search'.

I don't believe for one moment that Venkys have ever even heard of Joyce, or Warnock, or the other people who have been 'considered' for the job. Infact I would love to know who has been leading this 'search', who has been sifting through the applications, who has had the final say on the 'shortlist' and who on earth has advocated a youth coach for the job.

It absolutely staggers me that anyone on here could even remotely be content with or support the appointment of another youth coach. After all the stick Bowyer got for 2.5 years because he was a youth coach and not a 'real manager' and now 6 months on people are keen on the idea of another one coming in and taking over, only this time he's not a long term Rover who cares about the club with 10 years history with it, but rather an ex-dingle and ex-United man.

The mentality of some people never ceases to amaze me. Presumably just because Joyce is 'highly rated' and he's working at Man Utd immediately means he must be a good manager in the making, despite him having absolutely no experience of this league or conditions like we will face.

He's in the running because he ticks the Rovers/Venkys boxes - supposedly untapped managerial talent that nobody else has discovered, grateful for the opportunity to manage in his own right, would never have had the chance at any other Championship club, cheap, and most importantly supposedly good at 'developing talent'. I'll remember that when we're bottom of the league at Christmas.

I don't want first dibs on United's reserves. We aren't United's B side. We're a Championship club that should be building a solid squad of our own players to try and achieve success, not an opportunity for another club's kids to prove themselves.

Whoever is leading the search has done his job though. Spend 3 weeks being linked to some of the most dreadful names imaginable, so then when Joyce gets the job people will accept it on the basis that 'at least it isn't Redfearn/Slade/Hignett etc'. Throw the Warnock one out there the night before season tickets go on sale when he was never going to come and work here. And if there were serious talks with him then why the complete reversal from vast experience to absolutely none?

Sickening, but then again so is everything associated with Blackburn Rovers these days.

It is bizzare to go from warnock to joyce, i get the feeling the talks with warnock where just to appease the fans but they knew they where nevervgoing to agree on terms

Im also quietwly confident joyce could turn out to be decent at least (he seems like a premium version of bowyer)

Ot is bizzare to go from warnock to joyce, i get the feeling the talks with warnock where just to apeasrcyhe fans but they knew they where nevervgoing to agree on terms

I get the feeling Warnock has been generating his own press to get a job...

I agree Tom ... Joyce is an unknown.. nobody can say if he is good or not and with a good backroom he has a good chance .... we already know what Redfearn is capable of. As mentioned by someone else I do feel this appointment is to set us up as feeder team for Man U youth ..... anyone that doesnt meet the grade for them we will have an option to buy and I am sure the best youth players we would have first refusal.

Again glass half full...

Warnock has been the only name linked to the job who has a decent record and reputation as a manager.

All the rest have either been unproven, lower league or washed up has beens.

Warnock was never in the running. We've been played again. Joyce has been in the running from the start, the delay has been to give the illusion that a thorough search has taken place and to throw names like Redfearn and Hignett into the running so more fans accept the Joyce appointment.

I agree Tom ... Joyce is an unknown.. nobody can say if he is good or not and with a good backroom he has a good chance .... we already know what Redfearn is capable of. As mentioned by someone else I do feel this appointment is to set us up as feeder team for Man U youth ..... anyone that doesnt meet the grade for them we will have an option to buy and I am sure the best youth players we would have first refusal.

Again glass half full...

UNITEDS B TEAM = GLASS HALF FULL, FOR YOU?

FIRST REFUSAL ON THE PLAYERS UNITED DON'T WANT ?

I don't believe for one moment that Venkys have ever even heard of Joyce, or Warnock, or the other people who have been 'considered' for the job. Infact I would love to know who has been leading this 'search', who has been sifting through the applications, who has had the final say on the 'shortlist' and who on earth has advocated a youth coach for the job.

It absolutely staggers me that anyone on here could even remotely be content with or support the appointment of another youth coach. After all the stick Bowyer got for 2.5 years because he was a youth coach and not a 'real manager' and now 6 months on people are keen on the idea of another one coming in and taking over, only this time he's not a long term Rover who cares about the club with 10 years history with it, but rather an ex-dingle and ex-United man.

The mentality of some people never ceases to amaze me. Presumably just because Joyce is 'highly rated' and he's working at Man Utd immediately means he must be a good manager in the making, despite him having absolutely no experience of this league or conditions like we will face.

He's in the running because he ticks the Rovers/Venkys boxes - supposedly untapped managerial talent that nobody else has discovered, grateful for the opportunity to manage in his own right, would never have had the chance at any other Championship club, cheap, and most importantly supposedly good at 'developing talent'. I'll remember that when we're bottom of the league at Christmas.

I don't want first dibs on United's reserves. We aren't United's B side. We're a Championship club that should be building a solid squad of our own players to try and achieve success, not an opportunity for another club's kids to prove themselves.

Whoever is leading the search has done his job though. Spend 3 weeks being linked to some of the most dreadful names imaginable, so then when Joyce gets the job people will accept it on the basis that 'at least it isn't Redfearn/Slade/Hignett etc'. Throw the Warnock one out there the night before season tickets go on sale when he was never going to come and work here. And if there were serious talks with him then why the complete reversal from vast experience to absolutely none?

Sickening, but then again so is everything associated with Blackburn Rovers these days.

Excellent post. Joyce is GB mk II and that's no good at all.

The more I think about it the worst Joyce would be.

1) Manure are stable and professionally run - we are a shambles

2) Joyce has top talent at his disposal at manure - we're down to our last few decent players

3) As youth coach the focus is on developing players - the focus in the championship is on results

4) Youth coach do not really recruit, and certainly not the ready for now type - we need half a squad

5) Youth coach in background - manager in spotlight (more so due to absent owners/no board)

On every level to me this makes no sense whatsoever. This is the exact opposite of what we need.

It's blooming hard not to see it in such way, as ever eloquently put.

I disagree with a couple of things however. The players will be on holiday till mid June at the earliest so 26 days is not really a worry. If we are in a similar position with more new names linked by then, it would be obviously more wood on the fire.

Tom M makes the point I think would turn something like this on its head. Bring in Warnock short term and someone who ticks the development role on a longer plan. If we can't invest, we need someone to take advantage of the work GB, Kinder, Johnson et al have done, put our youth standing back on firmer ground.

Can't despite WJ fits that mould. He also will bring in an affiliation with Man united (whilst frustrating to think necessary) that could give us 3/4 first team loanees in the short term to cover any leaving first team players we can't afford to replace.

I'd feel pretty sickened too if WJ comes to work with some fellow man united youth coaches, but again - him with Kelly/Irvine makes some modicum of sense.

I know much of the positivity needs to be scrapped from an almost empty barrel but I'm convinced someone with a background in youth and potential as manager like Joyce may be a better solution to a manager who is looking to repair a reputation at a lower level, or forge one higher up after some success in lower leagues.

If Joyce has really been offered a job, it's suggesting a couple of things - the advice given to the owners or whoever is making the decisions fits the remit of our needs (at least partially).

Still waiting for someone to find out his agent! :)

We wouldn't get first dibs on utd youngsters if we couldn't pay their undoubtedly high loan fees anyway. Appointing Joyce is a ridiculous option to take. It's true that all managerial appointments are a risk but some are more risky than others. This idea of bringing through youth works if you're a highly successful club already but we'd be starting almost from scratch as very few of our youngsters, if any, are good enough to bring in fees worth mentioning, fees that would be worth more than the cost of their training. The first team squad is what needs investment in terms of time money and quality then you can start thinking about bringing young lads through. Get one right and, in the right hands, the other takes care of itself

I get the feeling Warnock has been generating his own press to get a job...

And that is how he works. He never misses an opportunity to push himself forward through the media and agents (of which his son is one).

Archived