BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boycott

How are you Neal? If i recall correctly you and me both were at the Bridge saying goodbye to Premiership football.

The Thing is though this is so much more than an Iphone 4 or any other form of business. For me this is not a Product. Every match Rovers Plays are as exciting as the next one.

Course it's more but speaking metaphorically to make sense of the fans behaviour it has application. At the end of the day you're buying into an idea, an idea that should make you proud and filled with optimism but past achievements aside that there's hardly anything to be proud and zero to be optimistic about. The fans can't manage the club, manage the team, buy the players, win games... All that stems from the top and those at the top don't care, if they did care there would be more fans present... It's pretty much that simple.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All these issues aside it depends what you want for Blackburn Rovers and for me there are 2 scenarios...

1) Someone performs some sort of miracle and we get promoted, become a saleable asset and then are took over by someone else.

2) We get relegated or go into admin and are sold hopefully resulting in fan representation on the board.

What do you mean in option 1, 'took over by someone else'?

I don't think there's a cat in hells chance Venky's would sell if we somehow managed to get promoted, with all that cash to cream off.

The only direction we can go to rid ourselves is down and down.

What do you mean in option 1, 'took over by someone else'?

I don't think there's a cat in hells chance Venky's would sell if we somehow managed to get promoted, with all that cash to cream off.

The only direction we can go to rid ourselves is down and down.

I'm talking absolute dream scenario there fella. I also agree.

I understand where alexanders is coming from but don't really agree with the notion that the fans are hurting the club the most, or even near the most, nor do I think the fans returning and pledging money to the club would result in a particularly positive outcome.

The problem behind this 'everyone rally behind the club' idea, is it has the potential to backfire considerably (IMO). This is a purely hypothetical scenario that will never happen, but if the 10,000+ fans who have walked away since Venky's came along decided to attend again, that would equal approx £3mil in extra ticket sales (assuming average of £300 a ticket). With boosted match day revenues we could see a couple million more on top so let's say £5mil over a season.

Now, that sum isn't a huge amount but it's of course something. Imagine Venky's looked at the finances and figures and saw the fans were coming back and putting money "into the club". Fan satisfaction + £5mil closer to self-sustainability. IMO, it just gives them more reason to stick around and screw things up even more. They clearly haven't learned their lessons. That's why we have an absent boardroom, have an accountant running operations incl footballing matters, have appointed a dud of a manager and are struggling to get bodies in.

Such large-scale subsidisation of the Rao's reign could be even more disastrous for the club. I don't believe the money would go towards anything in the benefit of BRFC, not to transfers or to wages. It might lower the debt that BRFC owe to Venky's/BOI but as I've said, if they are able to break even with the help of gates and merchandise, it just gives them more reason to continue and the club will never move forward with them in charge. The longer they remain, the harder it will be for BRFC to recover. IMHO, we need them out asap if we are to stand any chance of salvaging this mess.

(edited a spelling error)

I understand where alexanders is coming from but don't really agree with the notion that the fans are hurting the club the most, or even near the most, nor do I think the fans returning and pledging money to the club would result in a particularly positive outcome.

The problem behind this 'everyone rally behind the club' idea, is it has the potential to backfire considerably (IMO). This is a purely hypothetical scenario that will never happen, but if the 10,000+ fans who have walked away since Venky's came along decided to attend again, that would equal approx £3mil in extra ticket sales (assuming average of £300 a ticket). With boosted match day revenues we could see a couple million more on top so let's say £5mil over a season.

Now, that sum isn't a huge amount but it's of course something. Imagine Venky's looked at the finances and figures and saw the fans were coming back and putting money "into the club". Fan satisfaction + £5mil closer to self-sustainability. IMO, it just gives them more reason to stick around and screw things up even more. They clearly haven't learned their lessons. That's why we have an absent boardroom, have an accountant running operations incl footballing matters, have appointed a dud of a manager and are struggling to get bodies in.

Such large-scale subsidisation of the Rao's reign could be even more disastrous for the club. I don't believe the money would go towards anything in the benefit of BRFC, not to transfers or to wages. It might lower the debt that BRFC own to Venky's/BOI but as I've said, if they are able to break even with the help of gates and merchandise, it just gives them more reason to continue and the club will never move forward with them in charge. The longer they remain, the harder it will be for BRFC to recover. IMHO, we need them out asap if we are to stand any chance of salvaging this mess.

Well said.

The problem behind this 'everyone rally behind the club' idea, is it has the potential to backfire considerably (IMO).

I don't think we can ignore the opposite - the "boycott to cleanse" idea has many hypotheticals that could be essentially the final death knell, new owners or not.

I don't think we can ignore the opposite - the "boycott to cleanse" idea has many hypotheticals that could be essentially the final death knell, new owners or not.

Plenty of hypotheticals, JB, but IMO there is nothing to gain from a large-scale backing of BRFC at Ewood, and thus backing of the Rao's ownership. I mean, even if we packed out Ewood with those extra 10,000, it might move us closer to self-sustainability, but to make enough profit to come close to absolving the debt would be near impossible in the short-term. Assuming we owe £100m, considering we have yet to make an annual profit, even with the extra revenue money, we might be closer to breaking even but turning a consistent profit is pie-in-the-sky. Assuming through player sales, extra fans and carboots at Ewood on Sundays, we somehow made a massive (and consistent) £5m profit a season, it would take 20 years to pay them off and get shut. £2mil profit a season? Just 50 years to wait. And that's ignoring the immense likelihood we have of falling further down the leagues and losing access to certain revenue streams.

Personally, I see no way we can rebuild without getting them out asap, before the damage is too much to recover from.

If we are hypothetically speaking, it's worth noting all outcomes. What if Venkys are happy to have us in their portfolio at the same debt level (as 80% is owed to them) but without more investment than absolute necessity? Forever??

In that case, more fans = more revenue = more power to wield in this division.

The most important bit of your original post and also impossible to disagree with; they haven't learnt from their mistakes. What will they learn from 3 people left at Ewood that they shouldn't already know?

Another hypothetical that goes in the face of a boycott is potential investors. I don't want another random owner who has no clue - what's the chances of someone serious taking an interest if we don't have a fanbase left?

It's grim mustard, but I don't see the positives in a boycott that others see. I can understand individual reasons for not going, I mean we all know how horrific it has been, but I'm still to be convinced that walking away is doing the "best for the club" in the long run.

• Backroom

If we are hypothetically speaking, it's worth noting all outcomes. What if Venkys are happy to have us in their portfolio at the same debt level (as 80% is owed to them) but without more investment than absolute necessity? Forever??

Not necessarily. It's more likely to be:

More fans = more revenue = no change

And therein lies the problem.

The 'Boycott' of Ewood Park has been growing throughout the Venkys ownership of Rovers...............it's nothing new:

http://ewoodpark.jimdo.com/attendances-average-attendances-1888-2013/

The somehwhat static imaginary figures for 2012 through to 2015 would be amusing if they were not so sad.

Bottom line is that since 2010 when the Venkys tramped up at Ewood the home attendance has fallen from 25,000 to whatever the real figure will be next season. Personally I doubt that it will average 11,000 even with the likes of NU and Villa coming.

We've been getting averages of 14,000+ for 4 years at Championship level. That's despite horrific mismanagement, instability, generally poor on the pitch product and getting nowhere near promotion in that time.

I'm absolutely convinced that with proper management, stability, communication, respect towards the fans and a big push from the club, combined with a decent product on the pitch and half a chance of challenging for promotion then we could average 16-17 thousand a week in this division, which is a more than competitive amount.

Then if we had a commercial director (what a strange idea) we could try and fill more than 2 boxes out of 20 on a matchday or fill up Jacks Kitchen etc. But at the moment that side of the club is completely neglected and has been for 5 years.

The most important bit of your original post and also impossible to disagree with; they haven't learnt from their mistakes. What will they learn from 3 people left at Ewood that they shouldn't already know?

Another hypothetical that goes in the face of a boycott is potential investors. I don't want another random owner who has no clue - what's the chances of someone serious taking an interest if we don't have a fanbase left?

It's grim mustard, but I don't see the positives in a boycott that others see. I can understand individual reasons for not going, I mean we all know how horrific it has been, but I'm still to be convinced that walking away is doing the "best for the club" in the long run.

Thats a big 'what if'. We can only deal with what we know and make our own individual decisions. What we know is that currently not even the board have any idea about the intentions of the owners and they have no intentions of talking to us either. For me with this in mind it's a simple case of that they're not worthy of my support and I'm sure its the same for many others too.

Being honest, I think we're damned if we do and damned if we don't. That's why we could do with being active in showing potential investors the fans WILL return once Venky's sell up. How we will do that, I am not sure. Perhaps contacting the press and organising a mass boycott for one game, followed by a rally call for all fans to attend the next game. Hopefully get some coverage, Show what the support could be under owners who actually give one. The Liverpool game showed there is a market to be tapped into. Whether this would be even remotely effective or not, I can't say.

I'm absolutely convinced that with proper management, stability, communication, respect towards the fans and a big push from the club, combined with a decent product on the pitch and half a chance of challenging for promotion then we could average 16-17 thousand a week in this division, which is a more than competitive amount.

Then if we had a commercial director (what a strange idea) we could try and fill more than 2 boxes out of 20 on a matchday or fill up Jacks Kitchen etc. But at the moment that side of the club is completely neglected and has been for 5 years.

Yes and a thousand times more yes but we have one big stubborn,arrogant problem....Venkys.

The gobshytes just refuse point blank to run the club correctly for the benefit of all concerned...it's one big ruddy Circus!

Yes and a thousand times more yes but we have one big stubborn,arrogant problem....Venkys.

The gobshytes just refuse point blank to run the club correctly for the benefit of all concerned...it's one big ruddy Circus!

It's not as good as a circus. It's a Guantanamo Bay scenario for the club and the fans. We are stuck here and THERE'S NOT A DAMN THING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT.

I know that it is not the same With my Norwegian Club...

It must be nice to have another club. Probably helps to provide a sense of perspective and distraction.

I have just the one club.

And it's dying.

Venkys tore it to pieces and now keep it locked in a cage, like a predator circling its dying prey. They won't even do the decent thing and give it to someone else to care for or even just let somebody help.

Don't try to hold the fans responsible however well-meant. It's insulting.

It must be nice to have another club. Probably helps to provide a sense of perspective and distraction.

I have just the one club.

And it's dying.

Venkys tore it to pieces and now keep it locked in a cage, like a predator circling its dying prey. They won't even do the decent thing and give it to someone else to care for or even just let somebody help.

Don't try to hold the fans responsible however well-meant. It's insulting.

Venky's like a predator Ha Ha.

More like slimy cowards hiding in their cave that are scared to death of coming anywhere near us.

Not necessarily. It's more likely to be:

More fans = more revenue = no change

And therein lies the problem.

The more revenue, the more they skim off to meet their debts. Wouldn't benefit the club, just the owners.

Venky's like a predator Ha Ha.

More like slimy cowards hiding in their cave that are scared to death of coming anywhere near us.

You're dead right Aggy, even to the point of engaging in dialogue with anyone. chicken?

It might mean not having to keep selling players to rival clubs though.

So the absent fans are to blame for Venkys selling any assets? Sometimes I am bewildered that some Rovers fans have learnt nothing in the last six years. They have stripped the club bare if you hadn't noticed. I haven't sold players, I have dutifully spent money season on season as have lots of other boycotters. Has that stopped them selling anything of value in the last six years? Yes six years, that's how long they have been at it and you think that because some have had enough all of a sudden they are selling players. And they are billionaires ffs.

• Backroom

So the absent fans are to blame for Venkys selling any assets? Sometimes I am bewildered that some Rovers fans have learnt nothing in the last six years. They have stripped the club bare if you hadn't noticed. I haven't sold players, I have dutifully spent money season on season as have lots of other boycotters. Has that stopped them selling anything of value in the last six years? Yes six years, that's how long they have been at it and you think that because some have had enough all of a sudden they are selling players. And they are billionaires ffs.

Sometimes I think we could be floundering in the non-leagues under the current owners and people would still be blaming the lack of attendance as the main issue.

Archived