BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joint Blackpool Protests. Venkys Out, Oyston Out, Fans United.

The January budget? You mean over 10 million pounds worth of sales and under 1 million of buys?

That's spin LD and you know it. Would you say that Lambert had more or less room for manoeuvre in January than Bowyer had in the summer? I'm not saying he spent big money. But we were out of the embargo and in the same circumstances I'd wager Bowyer would have done enough to see us safe. That's all.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowyer squandered 2 seasons where we still had a good enough squad to go up (including having easily the best strike force in the division for one of them). And not only did we not go up, he didn't get us within a million miles of it before taking us down the league when the good players started to go.

That some fans rated him will always be baffling to me. I can only assume they forget/underestimate what he had at his disposal, or are comparing him to the likes of Kean, Appleton and Berg, managers so woeful they would make virtually anyone who could win a few look good.

. So why do you not understand,the point being MOST on here didn't recognise that Boywer was doing a good job and wanted him out,I thought he did a very reasonable job but you dare to mention it and you got slagged off saying he was useless,and now the same are all over him,and so what if Coyle has links to Burnley,if we snatched Dyche from them,would it be the same reaction...

You really have no idea whether they are the same people or not. Logically, it's very unlikely.

Surely most people chanting for Bowyer supported him while he was here and were upset when he was sacked?

There's also many people who thought his time to go had arrived but were grateful for what he'd done especially when he first took over.

In short you are making a fuss over nothing.

Bowyer blew 10k pw alone on Koita, so he had a fairly decent wage budget to work with...

Granted that was a substantial chunk in our situation. But when you're shopping in the free transfer bin you're restricted by what's available. Koita was very very raw. But there is something there. It was a risk. But what we're the alternatives? We have a poster close to that regime and I'd put my mortgage on him backing that up. Last summer was a real struggle. We took a couple of punts and they didn't work. Such is life. If he'd brought in nobody the squad would have rested on their laurels.

Christ this has been done to death. I only wanted to say I like the bloke and wish him luck. No amount of arguing / debating will change that anyway.

That's spin LD and you know it. Would you say that Lambert had more or less room for manoeuvre in January than Bowyer had in the summer? I'm not saying he spent big money. But we were out of the embargo and in the same circumstances I'd wager Bowyer would have done enough to see us safe. That's all.

Maybe pv, but it was the only window when he didn't. Would he have seen is safe? Having witnessed what went before that season I'm not so sure.

Maybe pv, but it was the only window when he didn't. Would he have seen is safe? Having witnessed what went before that season I'm not so sure.

Guess that's why we're talking about it. One thing is for sure, given the same wiggle room in both the summer and winter windows, he almost certainly wouldn't have got us promoted. I suppose we can both agree on that much.

How many Rovers were on the protest?

Went to the Waterloo, enjoyed a few bevvies and watched some bowls. Then marched to the ground.

Really poor turnout. about 25 Rovers fans along with half a dozen tangerines marched.

Should have stayed at the Waterloo, the bowls was more exciting than the football.

• Moderation Lead

. So why do you not understand,the point being MOST on here didn't recognise that Boywer was doing a good job and wanted him out,I thought he did a very reasonable job but you dare to mention it and you got slagged off saying he was useless,and now the same are all over him,and so what if Coyle has links to Burnley,if we snatched Dyche from them,would it be the same reaction...

Obviously not because Dyche has only been a good manager so far. Coyle has one success and three failures. That was a very poor attempt to discredit fans in my opinion.

Comparing Bowyer's FFP window with Lambert getting no cash to sign players? That's spin.

Bowyer had plenty of transfer windows, plenty of backing and plenty of time. He brought in umpteen players and was able to have a squad he could call his own. By the time he left we had squandered our last chance and the parachute money, and had a very poor squad.

Bowyer had peaked and was taking us down. I can't believe there is another Bowyer debating session on BRFCS, it's exhausting and pointless.

Comparing Bowyer's FFP window with Lambert getting no cash to sign players? That's spin.

Bowyer had plenty of transfer windows, plenty of backing and plenty of time. He brought in umpteen players and was able to have a squad he could call his own. By the time he left we had squandered our last chance and the parachute money, and had a very poor squad.

Bowyer had peaked and was taking us down. I can't believe there is another Bowyer debating session on BRFCS, it's exhausting and pointless.

So exhausting and pointless that you just couldn't resist wading right in yourself?

Pure conjecture. In his last 10 games the corner had been turned and he was averaging the same amount of points that were averaged for the rest of the season. We just had a very poor start, which wasn't unusual under Bowyer. He didn't go 9 games without a win though like Lambert did. Lambert would have taken us down. I can't prove it but i'm gonna say it.

Bowyer actually had very little backing apart from his first couple of windows, unless you call signing Brown and Varney backing. The financial taps were already turned off by then. By the time he left we'd sold the likes of Rudy and replaced him with Koita and Delf. There was a reason for that, and it wasn't Bowyer's doing. He made the club a lot of money too, which probably allowed Lambert to sign 8 players in his one window at the club before he flounced off.

Bowyer did a great job.

p.s. if you find debates on certain topics 'pointless and exhausting' then don't join in with them. Obvious really.

Obviously not because Dyche has only been a good manager so far. Coyle has one success and three failures. That was a very poor attempt to discredit fans in my opinion.

because I was replying to someone saying Coyle has Burnley links not his ability,get your facts right before opening your gob..in my opinion..

• Backroom

Granted that was a substantial chunk in our situation. But when you're shopping in the free transfer bin you're restricted by what's available. Koita was very very raw. But there is something there. It was a risk. But what we're the alternatives? We have a poster close to that regime and I'd put my mortgage on him backing that up. Last summer was a real struggle. We took a couple of punts and they didn't work. Such is life. If he'd brought in nobody the squad would have rested on their laurels.

Ipswich don't have a single player in their team earning £10k pw, PV. There is no excuse at all for spending that kind of wage on a total unknown like Koita. To be fair to Bowyer, he probably didn't have ultimate say and sign off on the wage, but to suggest he didn't have a good budget to work with is ignoring the facts imo. Let's not forget at the start of that season we also had Hanley, Duffy, Evans, Marshall, Rhodes, Conway and Olsson on decent wages, possibly others too.

I'm not trying to criticise the man needlessly, but last summer we did very poor business and he played a significant part in it.

So exhausting and pointless that you just couldn't resist wading right in yourself?

Wading in to respond to point made? Rather hypocritical given your recent pop directly at gb.

Simply trying to nip in the bud the stupid cyclic discussion that somehow Bowyer got a worse deal than Lambert.

What's up with you at the minute?

• Moderation Lead

Pure conjecture. In his last 10 games the corner had been turned and he was averaging the same amount of points that were averaged for the rest of the season. We just had a very poor start, which wasn't unusual under Bowyer. He didn't go 9 games without a win though like Lambert did. Lambert would have taken us down. I can't prove it but i'm gonna say it.

Bowyer actually had very little backing apart from his first couple of windows, unless you call signing Brown and Varney backing. The financial taps were already turned off by then. By the time he left we'd sold the likes of Rudy and replaced him with Koita and Delf. There was a reason for that, and it wasn't Bowyer's doing. He made the club a lot of money too, which probably allowed Lambert to sign 8 players in his one window at the club before he flounced off.

Bowyer did a great job.

p.s. if you find debates on certain topics 'pointless and exhausting' then don't join in with them. Obvious really.

Lambert was taking us down? If that's not conjecture, completely alien from fact as well, then I don't know what is. On what possible basis could that be true? Your bitterness towards Lambert and praise of Bowyer is almost irrational.

It was absolutely unacceptable for Bowyer not to have us at the very least in the top 6 with that strike force and such an attacking force. Why on earth wouldn't he focus on shutting the back door? Something which Lambert immediately focussed on. If Lambert had the backing Bowyer had, I'd wage any amount of money that he'd have done better.

• Moderation Lead

because I was replying to someone saying Coyle has Burnley links not his ability,get your facts right before opening your gob..in my opinion..

Meow. This kitten's got claws!

Lambert was taking us down? On what possible basis could that be true? Your bitterness towards Lambert and praise of Bowyer is almost irrational.

It was absolutely unacceptable for Bowyer not to have us at the very least in the top 6 with that strike force and such an attacking force. Why on earth wouldn't he focus on shutting the back door? Something which Lambert immediately focussed on.

It was a joke based on about as much evidence as the poster I was responding to saying Bowyer was taking us down, .even though we finished the season in about the same place as when he left. I'm not bitter towards Lambert, i just thought he was a bit full of himself, and dismissive of others, without seeing much on the pitch to back it up. I know you fell for it hook, line and sinker, but not everyone did. Your love for Lambo was certainly irrational. He wasn't here long enough, and didn't do anything to deserve it.

It really wasn't 'absolutely unacceptable' for Bowyer not to have us in the top 6. We had a good strikeforce, yes, but we had a central midfield of Willo and Lowe for some of the time Bowyer was here. That is a league 1 midfield. With that 'engine room' I'm surprised we finished in the top 10.

You are factually incorrect about when the 'back door' was shut too. The defence was excellent form day one last season. Probably because Hanley wanted away and had decided to get his head down. I thnik the defence in the two seasons before last was about 10th best in the division. Not brilliant but not the disaster it was painted as on here.

I still find it ridiculous how people can't give GB credit. Nobody ever said he was a top manager but he helped us big time when we needed it.

This "we signed 50 players" ignores the sheer volume of dross put together to be replaced, the millions and millions of wasted wages.

The "stability" argument is dismissed now becahse people think if we'd just got relegated the owners would of gone.... What kind of logic is that? GB made a decent squad with potential out of nothing. Look at the outs and ins, I believe 90% of new managers would've sunk like a stone in that position..

Lambert was backed exactly the same as GB, the only difference is GB would put up with that.

Calling him totally unnacceptable for not getting top 6 at very least is exactly what PV said - ignoring a lot of what went on.

Ipswich don't have a single player in their team earning £10k pw, PV. There is no excuse at all for spending that kind of wage on a total unknown like Koita. To be fair to Bowyer, he probably didn't have ultimate say and sign off on the wage, but to suggest he didn't have a good budget to work with is ignoring the facts imo. Let's not forget at the start of that season we also had Hanley, Duffy, Evans, Marshall, Rhodes, Conway and Olsson on decent wages, possibly others too.

I'm not trying to criticise the man needlessly, but last summer we did very poor business and he played a significant part in it.

I dont know how you can blame Bowyer blame players wages cos I dont think he would have much of a say. Surely that job would have been Derek Shaw or Ian Slivester job? Maybe why Shaw was let go?

Well done for going on the protest Neal. I understand people going to games and have no problem with them but people defending the lunatics is quite alarming. Have these people learnt nothing in the last six years?

Nope seems not.

Away from the Bowyer debate, on the match report on the Rovers website it states something along the lines of 'Rovers have kept their unbeaten run in preseason intact', yep against league 1/2 teams! another example of the Rovers media team putting a positive spin on hopeless things . We were getting hammered off a team full of trialists but it's OK because at least we're still unbeaten in pre season, despite playing shockingly and drawing to BLACKPOOL with the likes of Marshall, Graham and Duffy (our only valuable assets left) playing. Two of those three may not even be here by September, left with only Graham. No hope whatsoever until venkys left, and they ain't doing that in a hurry.

• Moderation Lead

It was a joke based on about as much evidence as the poster I was responding to saying Bowyer was taking us down, .even though we finished the season in about the same place as when he left. I'm not bitter towards Lambert, i just thought he was a bit full of himself, and dismissive of others, without seeing much on the pitch to back it up. I know you fell for it hook, line and sinker, but not everyone did. Your love for Lambo was certainly irrational. He wasn't here long enough, and didn't do anything to deserve it.

It really wasn't 'absolutely unacceptable' for Bowyer not to have us in the top 6. We had a good strikeforce, yes, but we had a central midfield of Willo and Lowe for some of the time Bowyer was here. That is a league 1 midfield. With that 'engine room' I'm surprised we finished in the top 10.

You are factually incorrect about when the 'back door' was shut too. The defence was excellent form day one last season. Probably because Hanley wanted away and had decided to get his head down. I thnik the defence in the two seasons before last was about 10th best in the division. Not brilliant but not the disaster it was painted as on here.

Irrational to dislike a manager with ambition who wanted to take the club forward? Ok then. How many late goals did we concede that lost us points? Madness he couldn't fix that. So, so poor. He wasn't a poor manager but he should have done better with the squad he had, simple really.

Archived