BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Coyle Interview

Not at all. (If 'digging you out' means 'having go').

I thought the exciting football comments were Keanesque. Kean (and even Desai, if I recall correctly) frequently made comments pertaining to style, as an underhand dig at Allardyce. I took Koyle's comments as a little dig at Lambert.

I want an effective manager in this league. Promotion out of it is everything. I don't expect the Venkys would have found Bumley's football exciting last season but it was bloody effective. I expect 'Claret Venkys' would likely have binned Dyche for not playing "the right kind of football to represent the fans" when he had that run of 4 draws and two defeats in the run up to last Christmas.

Thought I was maybe reading it with my over sensitive glasses on.

I have no problem with attractive football. But as you say, it's got to be productive. Ala Souness. The same doesn't work in reverse though. If we're gonna lose it doesn't make it any easier to stomach if we've played an attractive style or not.

It actually worries me that this is the blueprint. How can we be expected to buy in to this ethos when he immediately implies he'll work within the budget he's given. It's like me telling my kids to expect a wonderful summer holiday in Disney Land when I know I've only got the cash to take them for a weekend in Skegness. I appreciate Coyle can't come out and say it that frankly. But I'm just getting tired of hearing this bullshyte from everyone who traps up here. Have a right good go. Play in the front foot etc... Unless the owners are going to give anyone the funds to achieve it it's all just guff.

Sadly imo this guy doesn't have the defensive capabilities to find a draw when the attacking stuff isn't working. Which makes me think this season will see us struggle even more than previous years. As the league gets stronger we get weaker. That trend only leads one way.

• Like 1

This squad is nowhere near good enough to try and play Coyles brand of open football and he won't get the money to improve it much.

This has got disaster written all over it.

It actually worries me that this is the blueprint. How can we be expected to buy in to this ethos when he immediately implies he'll work within the budget he's given. It's like me telling my kids to expect a wonderful summer holiday in Disney Land when I know I've only got the cash to take them for a weekend in Skegness. I appreciate Coyle can't come out and say it that frankly. But I'm just getting tired of hearing this bullshyte from everyone who traps up here. Have a right good go. Play in the front foot etc... Unless the owners are going to give anyone the funds to achieve it it's all just guff.

Agree completely. That's why his interview just came across as mindless platitudes, and makes it hard to believe. We need honesty and we just have him goin through the motions. I'm not expecting any kind of criticism. But to suggest Premier League within our meagre budget without any real substance just panders to Venkys and patronises the fans.

I'll say it again, we needed somebody we could all get behind and instead we got suspicion, mediocrity and platitudes. He all but relegated Bolton and Wigan and if he completes the set with Rovers then mission undercover judas will be complete. Only through Whelan (who found out Koyle) and their parachutes have Wigan bounced back. I full expect that we will be behind Preston and Wigan next season.

And one other thing which jumped out at me was his use of the word 'we'. 'We' haven't come into this with our eyes closed. 'We' know this side finished bottom half of the Championship. Who is this 'we'? I thought he came in on his own?

Strange but it's probably just an automatic phrase - and fits with his ra-ra mentality. That said, maybe he will be looking to shoehorn his own man in there somehow, alongside Irvind and Kelly?

And one other thing which jumped out at me was his use of the word 'we'. 'We' haven't come into this with our eyes closed. 'We' know this side finished bottom half of the Championship. Who is this 'we'? I thought he came in on his own?

Maybe after scaling Venky towers in his milk tray man outfit to get the job, he brought the cat back with him because it wanted a new collar from Harrods, he will take it back at Christmas when the Queen of Pune requests his presence to get her Chrissy present.

Edited by perthblue02

This squad is nowhere near good enough to try and play Coyles brand of open football and he won't get the money to improve it much.

Half of the squad will play Coyle's brand of open football though----the defence.

• Like 5

Lets see who we sign 1st before judging this one.

Guess we will see in pre season how attacking Coyle will let the team play and what formations we will play

Edited by chaddyrovers

Guess we will see in pre season how attacking Coyle will let the team play and what formations we will play

1st signing Spurr! Does that give you a clue?

• Like 1

• Backroom

We don't have any money so that should give you an idea as to the type of player we're going to be bringing in. It's going to be more Delfouneso/Brown/Koita than Graham/Gestede/... can't even think of a third good player we've signed recently to be honest. Let's just say Evans, he plays well every so often.

If Koyle sticks to his word and we do play attacking football, we will get destroyed.

1st signing Spurr! Does that give you a clue?

I think that was an easy signing that we can not really read too much into, probably took advice from Irvine and Kelly who have been working with him for a few months. Good back up player

Edited by perthblue02

Well his first job is to unearth 2 or 3 goal scoring strikers at this level who'll come for nothing and accept less than 10grand pwk probably. I won't be holding my breath....

Mr Coyle

your task is pretty simple. You need to generate a total of 90 points, 30 wins out of 46 or thereabouts with a few draws, that is the size of the task before you. And you need to achieve this in a division that has just seen the likes of Villa, Newcastle and Norwich come down from the Premiership and who are awash with cash and players that should skate it straight back up such is their fan base and such is the set up they all have in place. You also have to be aware of the teams that have come up, Wigan, Burton and Barnsley, all teams that have a good set up and work ethic in place. You should also be aware that we have teams like Leeds, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Derby, Brighton, Wolves, Forest, Brentford, Cardiff, PNE, Birmingham and Reading, who are all established and all have good set ups at their clubs (leeds apart but who have excelled with the manager appointment of Monk).

Where are you going to start with this little conundrum?

We have a club without leadership, we have a club with owners who treat the clubs fans with utter contempt, we have absolutely no communication from inside the club, we have a dwindling supporter base, we haven't even had a renewal St packs yet, we have no senior management team off the pitch, we have serious financial issues because we are a club run by complete buffoons and we have a wedge in place between the club and its fans that will take forever to remove such is the overwhelming lack of influence from our Indian owners.

So, please OC tell me just how you are going to succeed? I note your recent record and I note that you once managed our inbred neighbours (not that it matters one jot). Its not your relationship with dingle Fc that concerns Rovers fans, it is the lack of success on your CV that does !

I ask myself just who interviewed you for the job? Sylvester that cat or Sylvester the chap in the hot seat. No matter which one it is you really pulled off one hell of an interview to beat the so called top 4 and indeed the so called 40 odd applicants for the job. I would love to know the other candidates scores in interview if you really were the one stand out candidate for the job.

Anyhow Good luck mate, your gonna need it.

90 points, 30 wins with a record like your current one. DREAM ON............

Re-signing Spurr smacks of desperation, and I would've said the same if it was on Lambert's watch. We don't need a mediocre, L1 level defender to make up the numbers, the club needs to sign some actual quality.

Well his first job is to unearth 2 or 3 goal scoring strikers at this level who'll come for nothing and accept less than 10grand pwk probably. I won't be holding my breath....

I think we should be looking at Adam Le Fondre and Matt Taylor(Bristol Rovers) both available on free transfers.

Graham of course but down to wages and where he wants to play.

Akpom from Arsenal on loan. Pacey striker

• Like 1

Wasn't Kenny's first signing Alan Wright. Perhaps its a left back thing?

:lol: bringing Dalglish into it.

King Koyles Blue and Wh... no, maybe not.

In all seriousness though, I'm in the minority of people who think a lot of Spurr. His attitude is spot on. A good lad to have in the squad.

Tying down the players who want to be here, and who are rated, is important in the immediate term as it requires zero scouting, and a simple conversation with Irvine and Kelly will identify the good eggs. Bringing in Danny "offside" Graham is another must for me. Even on a season-long loan. This would need the player to really want to be here and would speak volumes. Both he and Gomez were at Wigan with Koyle, no? Personally I wouldn't break the bank for Gomez but maybe he knows how to get the best out of him.

I think Marshall will be off, as well as Duffy if he has a good Euros. Hanley will come down to the fee but I think he will be off too.

So defenders will soon be as urgent as forwards (again). Although no doubt Lowe will be our "new" right back.

Listen to me... I'm talking like we are a proper football club! :lol:

• Like 3

Re-signing Spurr smacks of desperation, and I would've said the same if it was on Lambert's watch. We don't need a mediocre, L1 level defender to make up the numbers, the club needs to sign some actual quality.

I honestly think it smacks of realism, depressing though that is.

• Like 1

This line worried me greatly. What's this exciting, entertaining brand nonsense? I want a manager who wants to win games, culminating in promotion. That's all any Championship clubs should be aiming for. Maybe his dumb Mourinho comment was designed to highlight his aim of playing exciting football rather than effective football. Have Venkys made this a requirement? Is our future a mere bauble to be pleasing on the eye - regardless of the win, lose or draw stats? Do they understand that the Championship has relegation as well as the PL? Or is someone telling them that it's just another name for the Champions League and we qualified again?

History is potentially repeating itself though:

Experience successful manager

Agency client nomination (allegedly)

- Relegation -

Wilderness short term managers

Promoted back room guy

It's interesting that some fans perceptions of the credibility of Allardyce and Lambert were able to be altered so quickly on both occasions. Each followed by an appointment which has been shrouded in speculation and rumour, and divided the fans. Follows a similar pattern to those who have tried over the years to deflect blame onto the WalkerTrust and even Williams, only to champion their (naive?) successors as doing their best with what they have inherited.

Totally agree with you, I'd rather winning was the only priority (maybe attractive football can be an extremely distant second). But obviously there's the growing school of thought that fans would rather see attractive football, although I do think in effect its more a case of wanting to see both, however unrealistic that demand might be.

I think Coyle knows that even the play-offs is practically a pipe dream, so the hazily defined "entertaining football" is an easier target so he's gonna go for that instead.

Totally agree with you, I'd rather winning was the only priority (maybe attractive football can be an extremely distant second). But obviously there's the growing school of thought that fans would rather see attractive football, although I do think in effect its more a case of wanting to see both, however unrealistic that demand might be.

I think Coyle knows that even the play-offs is practically a pipe dream, so the hazily defined "entertaining football" is an easier target so he's gonna go for that instead.

When you have a 'hardcore' of fans (many of whom are close to the club through the FF) don't care about promotion, or relegation for that matter, the easiest way to keep them happy is also the cheapest. Show pony football on a shoestring. Could work.

The problem is have is that this club needs bums on seats. This requires the non-hardcore to turn up as well. Will tippy-tappy football win them back? Maybe - but only if it is winning football too.

In the absence of Premier League opposition, we need a talisman to capture the imagination. We don't have one as owner, CEO, manager, or anywhere on the field. Nobody we can genuinely trust and believe in, and get behind.

Rhodes was that talisman, followed, to an extent, by Lambert (in terms of gravitas) and now there is nobody. Perhaps we can just somehow create the holy grail of football: The side with no stars, just a great team spirit and 110% effort from everyone. Like Leicester or Forest of yesteryear. Growing your own stars - but that happens once every other generation, and we've just seen ours.

Me personally the only entertaining and enjoyable football. Is winning. Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

I think we should be looking at Adam Le Fondre and Matt Taylor(Bristol Rovers) both available on free transfers.

Graham of course but down to wages and where he wants to play.

Akpom from Arsenal on loan. Pacey striker

All good shouts but I doubt we'll be in a position to offer decent wages to any of them compared to some others who will be after them. Unless the plan is to use the Rhodes cash for wages on decent loans and frees which probably wouldn't be a bad idea in the circumstances.

I'm dreaming now though !

All good shouts but I doubt we'll be in a position to offer decent wages to any of them compared to some others who will be after them. Unless the plan is to use the Rhodes cash for wages on decent loans and frees which probably wouldn't be a bad idea in the circumstances.

I'm dreaming now though !

Le Fondre was a Rovers target of Bowyer I believe last summer. But couldnt due to restriction on wages(10k). I would make him a priority signing to be honest

Taylor is a free so we should be looking at.

Akpom is a loan and Coyle has got Arsenal players on loan before like Wilshere.

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.