BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer/discussion Thread

What strikes me is that a lot of Our fanbase are very negative towards our own players. Just look at:

Fabio Nunes (Plays in the top division i Portugal)

Ruben Rochina (likely to be sold for 10 MEUR)

Radosav Petrovic (just signed With Sporting Lisbon)

Nikola Kalinic (marketing value 13,5MEUR)

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom Bradshaw would of been an excellent 3rd choice striker and surly Rovers are a better pull than Barnsley and with the fee involved I can't understand why we weren't in for the lad. Young promising striker with a possible sell on clause, I thought that would be right up venky scums street. I see crouch is looking for a club. Would definately get goals but I think we need a pacey striker and doesn't do much different to what we have. Was just curious if other people would take a gamble on him providing the wages were right

Tom Bradshaw would of been an excellent 3rd choice striker and surly Rovers are a better pull than Barnsley and with the fee involved I can't understand why we weren't in for the lad. Young promising striker with a possible sell on clause, I thought that would be right up venky scums street. I see crouch is looking for a club. Would definately get goals but I think we need a pacey striker and doesn't do much different to what we have. Was just curious if other people would take a gamble on him providing the wages were right

fee involved

What strikes me is that a lot of Our fanbase are very negative towards our own players. Just look at:

I think you are mistaking the fan base and the club. None of those players received abuse and it's the club that decided to sell them.

It didn't happen at Rovers for those players for various reasons.

Two of the main ones being timing and not being suited to English football

I wouldn't imagine a fee would be involved. I don't know what he would go for if there was but I think they would do similar to what Sunderland did with Gomez to get rid of his wage and free a squad space. For arguments sake he's free. Unless you mean a fee for Bradshaw which was around half a million. Surely we can afford that

Marshall is the one player we can't afford to lose. Technically gifted players like him are hard (and expensive) to replace. Centre halves, however, are much easier to replace.

Reading between the lines, if Duffy/Marshall don't sign a new contract then they'll be sold. Why on earth would they sign new contracts? I imagine they want prem football, they wont be anywhere near that at Rovers. Much better for their careers to leave on a free next year. The only hope would be to give them a cheap release clause in their new contract if a prem club comes calling - they may then sign a new deal.

I think you are mistaking the fan base and the club. None of those players received abuse and it's the club that decided to sell them.

It didn't happen at Rovers for those players for various reasons.

Two of the main ones being timing and not being suited to English football

They didnt get any abuse ? Our fans were massively negative towards all four mentioned players.

With Cheston saying there's a 'definite possibility' (wow, so bad - literally contradicts itself) then I think that the offer of the contracts to those two now is to gauge their plans and sell this summer if it seems likely they will refuse to sign.

The clock is ticking now and if they don't sign a new deal before the end of August their value will diminish greatly. If they don't sign I think they are free to talk to other clubs in January and leave in the summer for nothing. I know there are some exceptions to this (age, length of service etc) but I'm not sure if they apply to Marshall and Duffy.

Once again the question should be asked as to how this situation has arisen.

They didnt get any abuse ? Our fans were massively negative towards all four mentioned players.

Never were they abused or shown any negativity on the pitch. There was some negativity on message boards but unless they read them and are sensitive little souls it wouldn't have had any effect.

Yes. I liked Rochina; although he could be frustrating to watch, he could make thngs happen and the game was less predictable when he was on the field. (Oops I nearly said exciting then!) The rest though never earned their stripes at Rovers - and that's what we have to judge them by. Kalinic in particular was poor.....fully living up to that YouTube video of lowlights. About the only thing me and den ever agreed on I think!

I think the situation has arisen with both Duffy and Marshall that contract talks weren't high on anyone's agenda last season as they'd both been fairly indifferent. There are many on here who would have driven Duffy to whichever club was looking at him and others who called Marshall every name under the sun. Not many on here were in a particular rush to extend either of their contracts if memory serves.

The clock is ticking now and if they don't sign a new deal before the end of August their value will diminish greatly. If they don't sign I think they are free to talk to other clubs in January and leave in the summer for nothing. I know there are some exceptions to this (age, length of service etc) but I'm not sure if they apply to Marshall and Duffy.

Once again the question should be asked as to how this situation has arisen.

Never were they abused or shown any negativity on the pitch. There was some negativity on message boards but unless they read them and are sensitive little souls it wouldn't have had any effect.

For some reason the club appears to go into 'hibernation mode' for several months. This seems to have happened every year since Venkys bought the club. Between February and June nothing happens. No contracts are signed, no announcements are made, no season tickets on sale, no communication takes place.

It seems that nothing can happen because Venkys won't approve anything until they've had their annual summit meeting in May. After that whoever occupies the Ewood boardroom has the authority to make a few signings and release season ticket details along with a few cheap promotional stunts. However by this stage it is too little too late. It seems after the chaos of Shaw, Myers and Lambert quitting they were quite happy to leave things in limbo until they could be bothered to get round to deciding what to do next, by then we are playing catch up with all our rivals on and off the pitch. Miles off the pace in terms of squad size and season ticket sales, not to mention a staff structure nowhere near what is to be expected at a club of this size.

Marshall and Duffy, as two of our first team mainstays and most important and valuable players, both at good ages, should have been signed up to new contracts months ago. At a proactive club with ambition and a structure to match, these two would have been priorities and their futures should have been clear by now. It seems Cheston is only just getting round to initiating contract discussions, which usually take months to resolve, and I don't expect either of them to have any interest in committing their long term futures to the club when they could have their pick of Championship rivals.

Why are we trying to sell a player to a rival when we've only got 17 outfield players?

How can Ipswich afford £250k for a player and we can't? (They are heavily in debt and losing money, just like us)

No way on this earth we paid £250k for Bennett in January. He was out of contract in the summer and Norwich were happy to let him go.

Nobody is indispensable at this point. We've got 17 players, with question marks over whether 3-4 of them are good enough for the Championship.

Bennett is a reliable and steady player, who Mick McCarthy must rate.

If he goes it will be another free transfer or loan replacement. Building the squad on quicksand again.

If we had 27 senior players I could accept selling him. As it is we can't even fill a bench without dipping into the Under 21 squad.

For me they've purposely let the contracts on Marshall etc run down so we end up in a position of having to sell or the player accepts the same or reduced terms.

If you'd any inkling of keeping them whatsoever there'd have been something on the table 6 months ago, I'm sure their agents are always asking. When they don't get answers they'll start putting feelers out hence the constant linking of these players over the past 12 months yet no one actually puts in a bid.

I'm sure Marshall has something lined up and it'll be put down to him 'oh well he didn't accept the offer he wanted to go'. Then it's a few more million to disappear and a chance to spend nothing and hope someone pulls a rabbit out the hat.

Farcical

We've got about 33 right midfielders, Bennett is hardly indispensible.

I'm sure Marshall, Conway, Feeney and Mahoney can pick up the slack.

Bennett can play several positions and did do last season. I think every squad needs a couple of versatile players who offers their manager a few options during a game.

Just read the interview with Mike Cheston in regards to how happy he is with Owen Coyle. Somewhere in that interview he says he wanted to 'avoid paying compensations for outgoing and incoming assistant managers' as one of the main criteria to hire a new management team......

We really have no money at all do we??? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Unless Grant or someone else goes I really feel we will only sign freebies or loanees, nothing else.

They'll have to sell someone this window for sure so even if it isn't Hanley it might well be a curved ball out of nowhere like TC last summer. Evans maybe ? or even a clutch of players like Bennett, Conway and another just to bring a few quid in !

Just read the interview with Mike Cheston in regards to how happy he is with Owen Coyle. Somewhere in that interview he says he wanted to 'avoid paying compensations for outgoing and incoming assistant managers' as one of the main criteria to hire a new management team......

We really have no money at all do we??? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Unless Grant or someone else goes I really feel we will only sign freebies or loanees, nothing else.

Yeah that's exactly what I read into that interview. No money. Literally not a bean.

Archived