BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Championship 2016/17 Season

8 minutes ago, TAFKAP said:

They did: of course you had a period of dominance by arguably the biggest club in England with Liverpool.

Four different clubs won the league in the six previous seasons before the name change. 

Biggest club in England with the biggest cheque book hence £££ = trophies was already well underway.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
12 minutes ago, TAFKAP said:

I didn't know that; I doubt that; I contest that; I ask for a source. I'm prepared to eat pie if wrong. 

Regardless though, the difference between you and Manchester that year was a bad miss by Andy Cole in the dying minutes of the last game of the season. I've hated him ever since for that. 

I don't know exactly numbers, but Cole cost Utd the same as Shearer and Sutton together for us. Only one example, granted.

Hendry: 700k

LeSaux: 700k

Captain Sherwood: 400k

Incumbent champions at the time, ManUtd's approx first team (Peter Schmeichel, Denis Irwin, Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister, Andrei Kanchelskis, Paul Ince, Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs, Brian McClair, Mark Hughes and Andy Cole) cost £19.33m.

Whereas Flowers, Henning Berg, Hendry, Ian Pearce, Le Saux, Stuart Ripley, Mark Atkins, Sherwood, Jason Wilcox, Shearer and Sutton set Rovers back £14.7m.

Blackburn's entire back four cost less than Newcastle paid for Darren Peacock and less than half of the sum required to bring Phil Babb and John Scales to Liverpool. In Carlton Palmer, Leeds spent more on a single midfielder than Rovers did across their starting midfield four – illustrating that Rovers' spending was largely limited to their front two and not wasted unlike so many others.

Taken from: https://www.theguardian.com/football/when-saturday-comes-blog/2013/oct/23/blackburn-premier-league-title-earned-1995

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, TAFKAP said:

I didn't know that; I doubt that; I contest that; I ask for a source. I'm prepared to eat pie if wrong. 

Regardless though, the difference between you and Manchester that year was a bad miss by Andy Cole in the dying minutes of the last game of the season. I've hated him ever since for that. 

I loved him for that. I subsequently loved him even more when he scored the winner in the League Cup final for us as well. What a top lad.

'Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all'....

23 minutes ago, TAFKAP said:

Let it go, you will feel much better.

Archived