BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Championship 2016/17 Season

3 hours ago, AggyBlue said:

Football mirrors society were cheating, lying and stealing are the norm. Totally different from when we grew up.

Well different from when you, me and a few others on here grew up....but not all, that's for sure.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It no big secret that I'm a fan of Jordan Rhodes but he let himself down badly yesterday. Strikers should be up for taking spot kicks, simple as that. Bottled it completely.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

New owner at Forest. After a quick google this guy sounds a bit dodgy

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39962342

At least he has previous football experience though 

"The businessman and Olympiakos owner is facing accusations of match-fixing in Greece but has passed the EFL's owners' and directors' test."

Perfect, just the job, welcome to the funhouse.

The EFL Test: "Are you breathing?" 

If "Yes" - "You passed!" If "No" - "Oh what the heck, you passed anyway!"

Just now, bob fleming said:

"The businessman and Olympiakos owner is facing accusations of match-fixing in Greece but has passed the EFL's owners' and directors' test."

Perfect, just the job, welcome to the funhouse.

The EFL Test: "Are you breathing?" 

If "Yes" - "You passed!" If "No" - "Oh what the heck, you passed anyway!"

They need to change the name of that test. 'Fit and proper' is just insulting. It should be 'cheat and prosper'.

7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It no big secret that I'm a fan of Jordan Rhodes but he let himself down badly yesterday. Strikers should be up for taking spot kicks, simple as that. Bottled it completely.

You're better off with players who actually want to take them than guys who don't fancy it on the night. Wether they're strikers or not is pretty irrelevant at the level these players are playing at.

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You're better off with players who actually want to take them than guys who don't fancy it on the night. Wether they're strikers or not is pretty irrelevant at the level these players are playing at.

Disagree. Any striker should be demanding the ball in that situation. That's his job. Plus Rhodes' biggest attribute is sticking the ball in the net. Not much more required for a penalty.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's not  about technical ability at this level it's about mental attitude. Some of the best penalty takers in my time have been defenders, full backs etc.

Stuart Pearce!

Graham Alexander 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Disagree. Any striker should be demanding the ball in that situation. That's his job. Plus Rhodes' biggest attribute is sticking the ball in the net. Not much more required for a penalty.

Strange old goings on with Rhodes. Was it because it was Huddersfield? We all know he is dynamite from 12 yards.

Apparently Wednesday have commited to buying him for 10 million. Wonder if they are having 2nd thoughts.

I would be totally aghast and flabbergasted if my star striker didn't want every single penalty that came available. And most free kicks. I've seen lada fight over the ball.

5 hours ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

Strange old goings on with Rhodes. Was it because it was Huddersfield? We all know he is dynamite from 12 yards.

Apparently Wednesday have commited to buying him for 10 million. Wonder if they are having 2nd thoughts.

I would be totally aghast and flabbergasted if my star striker didn't want every single penalty that came available. And most free kicks. I've seen lada fight over the ball.

I think his confidence is probably shot as a result of being shunted around. People talk about Bowyer or Lowe not getting credit despite delivering nothing but Rhodes has been treated poorly by Rovers fans when his record speaks for itself. Some will say Bowyer kept us up or stable, if only superficially,  but he had a play-off squad and Rhodes' goals.

3 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Rhodes bottled it for me. He knows he isn't playing well, and if he missed it would have been horrific.

That said, I wonder if he fancies smashing them in away at Shrewsbury next year

If his confidence is low I don't blame him for not taking one.  Let the guys who fancy their chances go first. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

For me Rhodes is a goalscorer nothing else. He isnt a pacey striker or target man. 

If Sheff Wed do sack their current manager then it could Pardew to come in. Rhodes wont fit his type of striker

Why should they sack him Chaddy ? They've had a good season. No guarantees Pardew will do any better.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Why should they sack him Chaddy ? They've had a good season. No guarantees Pardew will do any better.

I think Carlos Carvalhal has been really good since coming in

I.wouldnt swap Pardew for him

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm sure I heard in commentary on Wednesday that Carvahal is out of contract any time now. I can't see the owners renewing it after two play-off failures. Like a lot of foreign owners who don't understand the game they will think they can get better and a silver tongued Pardew could convince them he is the man. He will fail too, get sacked and have his contract paid up.

Rise and repeat.

Just now, arbitro said:

I'm sure I heard in commentary on Wednesday that Carvahal is out of contract any time now. I can't see the owners renewing it after two play-off failures. Like a lot of foreign owners who don't understand the game they will think they can get better and a silver tongued Pardew could convince them he is the man. He will fail too, get sacked and have his contract paid up.

Rise and repeat.

I think he signed a new bumper deal after the play offs last season. Whilst he's done a decent job these foreign owners are all about instant success and I expect he'll be down the road this summer. One or two Wednesday fans a bit fed up with him and his approach to games too. You can get away with it if like Dyche it results in promotion but after spending tens of millions in the last couple of years to still be in the 2nd tier won't go down well.

14 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40004399

So Hudds broke the rule, we don't want to do anything about it, so we are going to change it...

Scandalous really but no surprise. Football is utterly, morally corrupt.

I can't help think though that if Rovers had done similar then we'd have been made an example of.

"Having considered all matters, there is no doubt in the board's mind that Huddersfield Town could have fielded a 'stronger' team, but in the absence of a full and detailed definition of what constitutes 'full strength', there was sufficient scope for the club to make a significant number of changes to its starting line-up."

So they could work out that the team was weakened but they couldn't work out that this by definition made it not full strength - by whatever yardstick!

Sounds like Huddersfield's argument was: you've asked us to select a squad and we've picked from it. It just so happens that we elected to hand an advantage to one relegation candidate over another but that's not our problem. Maybe not but it is the League's problem as it makes a mockery of the competition.

It's a daft rule anyway in the modern game, with its huge squads, but it's there to avoid this explicit issue, and they broke it. It's that simple.

I go back again to my example: if West Ham had fielded a weakened side against United then we wouldn't just have shrugged - back then Rovers fans actually cared enough to get angry about things. But conversely if Liverpool had fielded a reserve side and let Rovers win 2-0 with 10 men there would have been uproar in the whole of football. There would have been a similar outcry if Wagner's decision to cheat had resulted in Brighton beating Newcastle to the title it wouldn't have been swept under the carpet.

The football authorities hate Rovers and will be glad to see us go under. That is he reason they won't investigate. Too many skeletons for too many in authority. I hope a FIFA-style investigation takes the whole lot of them down.

Hello,

I think I should bring some clarity to this issue for you. I understand the upset caused by relegation and the anger and frustration caused by the damage done by the Venky's to your club. I will try to be to the point and accurate.

The Team Huddersfield put out  were not a bunch of has-beens and youth teamers. 

Starters per htafc
Coleman      8
Smith         43 normal captain and in EFL team of the year
Hudson      26 team captain (sub '67 Mooy 50 EFL team of the year)
Cranie        19
Holmes-D   13 (sub '45 Wells 46)
Whitehead 19
Billing         28
Payne        27

Lolley         22

Bunn          19  (sub '67 Scannell 16)
Quanner    18 only joined in January often 1st choice

That is 243 (Subs not included) first team appearances in the starting XI. 

Huddersfield have consistently rotated out 3-7  players for virtually every game since December. Huddersfield do not have a 1st XI and a reserve team. What we have is a squad of about 20 1st team players to choose from. Using the rotation policy was the only way such a small squad was able to make it through the season and a good cup run while staying fresh. The game after Town V's Birmingham  saw another series of changes. 

I appreciate that Relegation hurts but it was not due to Town playing a significantly weakened team. The team Town put out should have been able to beat Birmingham but it didn't. It is worth remembering many of those players were the same ones that held Man City 0-0 in the cup. 

Huddersfield have rotated consistently since December and the last two games (after qualification into the play offs) were designed to give all 20 first team players 90 tough minutes in preparation for the playoff to come. 

Archived