BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Championship 2016/17 Season

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

At the end of the day Lambert jumped in here for a few months,  got a fat paycheck and played puke football. Whatever you Lambert worshippers are on, I ain't buying it! 

The four consecutive home wins allied with excellent performances wasn't too shabby was it. Now who was the last manager to do that? Bowyer didn't manage it.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

At the end of the day Lambert jumped in here for a few months,  got a fat paycheck and played puke football. Whatever you Lambert worshippers are on, I ain't buying it! 

I remember the games against Middlesbrough and Fulham at home around February/March last year. I saw signs in those games that we were starting to play his way and had an identity which hadn't been seen on Ewood for years. Middlesbrough were top of the league and we beat them, Fulham were in a similar position to us and we crushed them. Jokanovic was still learning the ropes at Fulham and sorting things out, they survived by the skin of their teeth and a year later finished top 6 playing the best football in the league.

Goes to show that things can change very quickly once a decent manager has had time and a summer to sort things out if the club is run properly. No reason to think that if we had been run properly we couldn't have done the same under Lambert as Fulham did. He had us way ahead of Fulham last season despite a similar amount of time at the helm.

52 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The best football I have seen from Rovers in recent times was Middlesbrough away when we were excellent. I was confident that Lambert could deliver that regularly if he was backed. The Indians reneged on their promise of money and being principled he left. I think Mowbray will do exactly the same if/when they let him down.

I don't worship anybody but I admire people who have principles and are prepared to do something about it. 

Just now, arbitro said:

The best football I have seen from Rovers in recent times was Middlesbrough away when we were excellent. I was confident that Lambert could deliver that regularly if he was backed. The Indians reneged on their promise of money and being principled he left. I think Mowbray will do exactly the same if/when they let him down.

I don't worship anybody but I admire people who have principles and are prepared to do something about it. 

Lambert was backed heavily at Wolves in the January transfer window, and still performed poorly. He couldn't do anything at a club with more resources than us, so what hope would he have had here? He came, he spouted a load of crap about Dortmund and playing attacking football, iscolated Rhodes and played dire football to boot. Only positive thing about him was bringing Graham to the club.

Just now, MikeRovers said:

Lambert was backed heavily at Wolves in the January transfer window, and still performed poorly. He couldn't do anything at a club with more resources than us, so what hope would he have had here? He came, he spouted a load of crap about Dortmund and playing attacking football, iscolated Rhodes and played dire football to boot. Only positive thing about him was bringing Graham to the club.

He made 2 signings in January. One was our own Ben Marshall who he picked up for a knock down fee and most Wolves fans have been impressed with, the other was Weimann from Derby who he took to Villa.

The club spent mega money on Costa but he wasn't Lambert's signing and probably the reason he eventually left.

He won 42% of his games at Wolves. Over a season it is potentially play off form. Took over when they were sinking under Zenga, With a mish mash squad made up of Jackett's leftovers and the Mendes experiment which saw about 20 foreigners join the club last summer.

18 hours ago, Stuart said:

The stick Lambert gets is incredible. The mind boggles. Can't work out what the agenda against him is. I thought it was the Celtic link but Mowbray has that badge. I still think a lot of fans are sore that Bowyer's open door policy down at Ewood wasn't as accessible and Lambert put some noses out of joint. Some of the photos I saw on Facebook were nothing short of amateurish.

Wifh every other manager they need time to get their own players in to be judged. All Lambert had to work with was to try to change the holiday camp losing mentality. Bowyer had umpteen windows and was still talked about as "he needed more time".

Hahahahaha. I'm starting to like you more and more Stu. Did Bowyer have a bloody good go at making a pass at your missus or something?

I don't think there is an agenda as such against Lambert, I think it's more ridicule as a result of his inability to take any responsibility for the last three car crashes he's been behind the wheel for.

Yes he has been unfortunate with owners, but as I have already stated, Mowbray managed to lift performance, moral and expectations with a bunch of cannon fodder at his desposal. Lambert's reign was a damp squid from week four onwards.

Whatever you think of G-Bomb, I'd suggest his stock is higher than P-Unit's at the moment. Lambert needs to step down a level or two and get that winning feeling back. He always struck me as an intelligent bloke, but perhaps I underestimated his ego. Shouldn't be a surprise I suppose as he was a Champion's League winner as a player.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Batman. said:

Hahahahaha. I'm starting to like you more and more Stu. Did Bowyer have a bloody good go at making a pass at your missus or something?

I don't think there is an agenda as such against Lambert, I think it's more ridicule as a result of his inability to take any responsibility for the last three car crashes he's been behind the wheel for.

Yes he has been unfortunate with owners, but as I have already stated, Mowbray managed to lift performance, moral and expectations with a bunch of cannon fodder at his desposal. Lambert's reign was a damp squid from week four onwards.

Whatever you think of G-Bomb, I'd suggest his stock is higher than P-Unit's at the moment. Lambert needs to step down a level or two and get that winning feeling back. He always struck me as an intelligent bloke, but perhaps I underestimated his ego. Shouldn't be a surprise I suppose as he was a Champion's League winner as a player.

'Three car crashes'- that's just hyperbole. Car crashes would indicate relegation and disaster, none of which happened at any of his last three jobs? (Or at all in his managerial career.)

You're also embellishing a hell of a lot re Mowbray, who incidentally couldn't stop us being relegated....(fair enough he gave it a hell of an effort after the car crash of Coyle). Mowbray managed to lift performances, morale and expectations, but ultimately not enough..... He initially lifted morale, but I wouldn't say it's anywhere near where fans or anyone is happy now! It was all ultimately, all in vain as we're in the 3rd division for the first time in over 30 years for goodness' sake! What exactly is there to be positive about?

Lambert was mugged off by Venky's and bailed, he could have bailed there and then but cracked on until the end of the season. (In his shoes I probably would have left then and there tbh, though they must have sold him a hell of a vision, he can't have been completely in the dark about what utter goons they are!)

That's definitely a matter of opinion re Bowyer's stock being higher. Remember, even Coyle managed to get that lot down the M65 promoted and look at him now......(I suspect you'd rather not, as I certainly wouldn't, I can't stand his face!)

Just now, K-Hod said:

'Three car crashes'- that's just hyperbole. Car crashes would indicate relegation and disaster, none of which happened at any of his last three jobs? (Or at all in his managerial career.)

You're also embellishing a hell of a lot re Mowbray, who incidentally couldn't stop us being relegated....(fair enough he gave it a hell of an effort after the car crash of Coyle). He managed to lift performances, morale and expectations, but ultimately not enough..... Lambert was mugged off by Venky's and bailed, he could have bailed there and then but cracked on until the end of the season.

That's definitely a matter of opinion re Bowyer's stock being higher. Remember, even Coyle managed to get that lot down the M65 promoted and look at him now......(I suspect you'd rather not, as I wouldn't!)

In my personal dictionary of disaster, "car crash" is fairly middle of the road, providing everyone escapes with all limbs intact.

He was undoubtedly mugged off by Venkeys, but he didn't do a great deal with what he already had at his disposal, and in my opinion he raised performance levels less than Mowbray did. I'm not embellishing anything, my opinion is no more complicated than that.

Regarding his stock compared to Bowyer's, it is undoubtedly opinion, which is why I said "I'd suggest."

I think a two near play off misses with us and a promotion with Blackpool outweighs the last 4 years Lambert has had. I'm not gonna jump back into the "players at his desposal" debate, as I've already driven around that ring road more times than Partridge on route to Dundee.

4 minutes ago, MikeRovers said:

How long do you believe it takes for a manager to start achieving results? He wanted to play a pressing game and did so with reasonable success without spending any real money. I firmly believe he had several irons in the fire to bring in quality players to suit how he want to play.

Ultimately nobody will ever know if he would have been a success but the people I speak to and go to games with felt confident with Lambert at the helm.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

1 swallow does not make a summer 

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

i think that the best football we have played was against Man United

bring back Coyle

6 hours ago, DE. said:

I think Lambert realised very quickly that he had made a mistake joining us, and the break-clause in his contract suggested he knew in advance he was stepping into a potentially dangerous situation as far as his career was concerned. It didn't take him long to work out that he had been lied to about transfer funding, and the absolute silence from India regarding his plan to get Rovers back on a competitive footing was enough to convince him it was time to go. Who can blame him? It's possible his plan wasn't feasible, but to not even get the courtesy of a reply tells you all that you need to know about our owners and the attention they are paying to Rovers.

Basically, unless you travel to India and kiss their backsides every few months you get nowhere. And even then you only get the bare minimum required to keep the club functioning on any kind of normal level. The whole situation is perverse and if Mowbray wants to put himself through that then okay, but I wouldn't blame any manager for walking away from this mess. 

Pretty much how I see it.

4 hours ago, Batman. said:

Very odd stuff but it's your opinion.

Bowyer gets to spend the last of the transfer cash, and signs, what, 30+ players - some of which end up being good enough to sell and keep the post-parachute payment club going a bit longer. Doesn't deliver despite the clear talent, particularly in attacking positions, at his disposal. Is sacked and ends up in League 2.

Lambert ends up with whatever is left and is told he can rebuild with money from Rhodes' sale. He manages to lift morale (and more importantly fitness) to keep us up then exploits his safety clause and exits stage left. Gets another job in the Championship. If you are surprised that results turned then you haven't been paying much attention. DE has summed it up very well but it's absolutely clear that Lambert was getting nowhere with Venkys - or whichever minion took notes for them.

Mowbray gets the gig after inheriting a disaster of a post-Coyle club and rightly gets some credit for improved results and making us harder to take the @#/? out of, but still oversees out relegation.

Out of those three, I'm sorry but Lambert comes out of it with the better record - and most sense. Mowbray sticks around which shows his greater sense of moral duty (something he would easily be forgiven for) but right now we are absolutely on our knees and need him more than he needs us. So far have we fallen.

I can see your point of view on one hand, but what was his net spend? The profits on his signings were fairly Hughes esqué which suggests he was spotting and developing players very well. That team was dismantled prior to his last season, and from then the decline set in. 

To say that "he should have got us promoted with that team" is to ignore the fact that it was him that assembled it, with names that were hardly household. He brought players through and signed outcasts from elsewhere, and inherited a couple of good ones as well.

But, you speak as if he inherited this incredible squad of Championship players and was then given an open chequebook to add to it. The truth is he inherited a shambles that was in free fall, and turned it into a team that missed out on the play offs on goal difference. The best players from the team were then sold for mega profit.

I think as a first job in football it was a hell of a tough one. Given the circumstances and contexts I think he performed well, and I would have like to have seen him given more support in his final season regarding keeping the better players, or at the very least being able to replace him.

Many clubs and managers with far more extensive/ decorated CV's than Bowyer have overseen rapid declines in what is an absolute bitch of a league. I think he's proved his salt this season, in what was an even more horrific job.

In my opinion to suggest that Lambert did a better job than Bowyer is ridiculous.

Let's see where he  (Bowyer) goes from here..

7 minutes ago, Batman. said:

I can see your point of view on one hand, but what was his net spend? The profits on his signings were fairly Hughes esqué which suggests he was spotting and developing players very well. That team was dismantled prior to his last season, and from then the decline set in. 

To say that "he should have got us promoted with that team" is to ignore the fact that it was him that assembled it, with names that were hardly household. He brought players through and signed outcasts from elsewhere, and inherited a couple of good ones as well.

But, you speak as if he inherited this incredible squad of Championship players and was then given an open chequebook to add to it. The truth is he inherited a shambles that was in free fall, and turned it into a team that missed out on the play offs on goal difference. The best players from the team were then sold for mega profit.

I think as a first job in football it was a hell of a tough one. Given the circumstances and contexts I think he performed well, and I would have like to have seen him given more support in his final season regarding keeping the better players, or at the very least being able to replace him.

Many clubs and managers with far more extensive/ decorated CV's than Bowyer have overseen rapid declines in what is an absolute bitch of a league. I think he's proved his salt this season, in what was an even more horrific job.

In my opinion to suggest that Lambert did a better job than Bowyer is ridiculous.

Let's see where he  (Bowyer) goes from here..

I've always given Bowyer a lot of credit for his recruitment. It's about 50/50 in success rate, maybe a touch over, which in my view is very good indeed. I've certainly not ignored that.

Ironically he would have been better as a DOF in the Paul Senior mould leaving a more energetic Mowbray to motivate and organise them to win football matches. This is based on things I've seen from both.

Alternatively, I'd have liked to have seen Lambert working for John Williams and I think he'd have been better. Just my opinion of course.

Welcome to civility btw, suits you. ;)

3 minutes ago, Batman. said:

I'm only uncivil to those who have earned it ;)

I think the last few weeks and months have shown who truly are good and bad eggs beneath the shells.

I disagree. I think a post-relegation off-season against the futility that is Venkys ownership, and a lack of hope for the future, brings out the worst in people.

I forgive you.

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

I've always given Bowyer a lot of credit for his recruitment. It's about 50/50 in success rate, maybe a touch over, which in my view is very good indeed. I've certainly not ignored that.

Ironically he would have been better as a DOF in the Paul Senior mould leaving a more energetic Mowbray to motivate and organise them to win football matches. This is based on things I've seen from both.

Alternatively, I'd have liked to have seen Lambert working for John Williams and I think he'd have been better. Just my opinion of course.

Welcome to civility btw, suits you. ;)

Intresting you say that as Gaz studies at MMU a degree in footballing operations so certainly on the cards for him one day.

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 12:59, JHRover said:

I remember the games against Middlesbrough and Fulham at home around February/March last year. I saw signs in those games that we were starting to play his way and had an identity which hadn't been seen on Ewood for years. Middlesbrough were top of the league and we beat them, Fulham were in a similar position to us and we crushed them. Jokanovic was still learning the ropes at Fulham and sorting things out, they survived by the skin of their teeth and a year later finished top 6 playing the best football in the league.

Goes to show that things can change very quickly once a decent manager has had time and a summer to sort things out if the club is run properly. No reason to think that if we had been run properly we couldn't have done the same under Lambert as Fulham did. He had us way ahead of Fulham last season despite a similar amount of time at the helm.

Great point. Huddersfield are another one. They sacked the manager around the same time as we did, and were in a very similar position to us back then too. Now look where he has got them. And with little resources too. We both aimed for better with a sacking and ambitious appointment. Only one club did everything they could to support the new man whilst the other continued to press the self-destruct button.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived