BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Championship 2016/17 Season

New season new thread for championship news, views etc.

Reading confirm Japp Stam has new manager http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36490662

Been an assistant manager for five years at PEC Zwolle, Ajax and Jong Ajax so will be interesting to see how he adapts to the Championship and if he tries to implement the Ajax way

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very surprised by Reading appointing Stam. very strange choice.

I was shocked by McDermott sacking cos they only appoint him mid season last season.

No stranger than appointing a serial loser full kit wnkrr out of the blue with no interview for the lapdogs to crow over

• 2 weeks later...

Newcastle signing Gayle for £10million.

Possibly selling Townsend to Palace for £13million

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/10328206/crystal-palaces-dwight-gayle-set-for-newcastle-medical-sky-sources

Forest, who never far away from being embargo'ed have spent £1million on former Everton striker Vellios.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36662000

Can't be long before promotion/relegation to/from the Premier League is a foregone conclusion when teams can throw 50-odd million at the problem.

Villa have 30M at their disposal curtesy of their new owner.

As Newcastle spend £20m and thats just for starters, Villa are looking to do the same, that should be the top 2 places filled before a balls kicked.

Doesn't always work out that way I know, but I can't see past these 2.

We've got FFP to thank for this. Established Championship clubs are prevented from spending money whilst those that come down from the Premier League are given a period to adjust so they can spend fortunes to try and bounce straight back.

We can hope Villa or Newcastle fail to go up like QPR and Fulham did and subsequently have struggled to adjust whilst living under the threat of FFP sanctions, but its unlikely with Benitez and Di Matteo managing them. 2 Champions League & FA Cup winning managers in the Championship.

The Championship is slowly but surely becoming a 2nd Premier League. Foreign owners buying clubs to try and get promoted, foreign managers across the board.

And our away tickets are more expensive than those at Chelsea & Arsenal next season!

Scandalous.

We've got FFP to thank for this. Established Championship clubs are prevented from spending money whilst those that come down from the Premier League are given a period to adjust so they can spend fortunes to try and bounce straight back.

We can hope Villa or Newcastle fail to go up like QPR and Fulham did and subsequently have struggled to adjust whilst living under the threat of FFP sanctions, but its unlikely with Benitez and Di Matteo managing them. 2 Champions League & FA Cup winning managers in the Championship.

The Championship is slowly but surely becoming a 2nd Premier League. Foreign owners buying clubs to try and get promoted, foreign managers across the board.

And our away tickets are more expensive than those at Chelsea & Arsenal next season!

Scandalous.

We ain't got FFP to blame for this !

We only got them turds in India and there poisionous slimy turds here for it .

Scandalous.

Completely agree. It's the changing nature of football in this country due to the money which Sky is pumping into the game which, in turn, is attracting foreign ownership. The Football League version of financial fair play has worked against existing Championship clubs in favour of those who have been relegated. As you say, the Championship is rapidly becoming a Premier League Division Two and I'm sure at some point their will be a move by clubs to break away from the Football League and go under the Premier League umbrella. The scrapping of the emergency loan system is another move which works in favour of the big clubs who can afford to carry a large squad of players as opposed to clubs working on a limited budget.

As Newcastle spend £20m and thats just for starters, Villa are looking to do the same, that should be the top 2 places filled before a balls kicked.

Doesn't always work out that way I know, but I can't see past these 2.

Yeah, should be nailed on, but a wet night in Rotherham upsets things more than people would think.

Also for Villa psychologically and culturally, there is a lot wrong and broken at the club. That isn't fixed overnight. Also Di Matteo at this level will be interesting to see - he's a bit of a mixed bag as I recall (or could be totally wrong on this, I can't recall much other than his managerial time at Chelsea...) Also Rafa's championship experience is pretty limited too. Might not be the monetary forgone conclusion it seems.

Think more pertinent is that there are a lot of good managers in this division. Hasslebank did excellently at Burton, Rowett at Brum, McCarthy at Ipswich. A lot of canny managers even with fewer resources makes this a tough, tough league next year. All of which could throw a spanner in the works of the bigger relegated clubs, and leaves us with a very daunting season.

Newcastle will walk it same as last time. Villa I'm not so sure. They definitely need some decent players.

Agree on this especially with Vanilla - thing with the barcodes is they seem to be going about it the right way with Ritchie & Gayle (even though maybe tad expensive)

Archived