BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Danny Graham

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think Mowbray may struggle to convince the owners to spend more on strikers considering he spent over 8 million on 2 of them in the summer.  Grahams fitness at the moment looks far better than people give him credit for. As you said though age will catch up with him at some point, hopefully no time imminently. While he is as fit as he looks we need to get the most out of him. And the other 2 should learn from him.

Brereton is not a classic big man though. Not reknown for his aeriel prowess. That said, such a partnership would require moving or dropping Dack.

West Brom may do that

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think Mowbray may struggle to convince the owners to spend more on strikers considering he spent over 8 million on 2 of them in the summer.  Grahams fitness at the moment looks far better than people give him credit for. As you said though age will catch up with him at some point, hopefully no time imminently. While he is as fit as he looks we need to get the most out of him. And the other 2 should learn from him.

I agree that DG is looking good at present, but at his age things can change very quickly. The last thing we want to do is get caught out because we hadn't accounted for a 33-year old striker getting injured or struggling for fitness. Whilst the Brereton signing continues to baffle me, Armstrong has clearly been brought in as a wide man. He isn't clinical enough to be a striker anyway. 

If our entire budget for strikers was given to the Brereton transfer then we've taken a pretty big gamble imo.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No ,he isn't. He looks light, but he is a big lad and has time to bulk up, just not at the expense of his current strengths. I was watching the goal celebration the other day after Lenihan scored, Brereton is the tallest player on the team, bigger than Mulgrew or Rodwell. 

It wouldn't necessarily mean dropping or moving Dack. Smallwood could drop out and we could play 2 upfront with Dack behind. Unlikely to happen bar us chasing a goal though. 

Yeah he is tall but so was Sam Gallagher and he jumped lower than he stood! No way can we play only one central midfielder and then Dack behind 2 other strikers. Dack is a second striker himself. The only way to get all 3 central would be 3 at the back I would suggest. Something that clearly doesnt suit us.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

West Brom may do that

Lets hope not!

1 hour ago, DE. said:

I agree that DG is looking good at present, but at his age things can change very quickly. The last thing we want to do is get caught out because we hadn't accounted for a 33-year old striker getting injured or struggling for fitness. Whilst the Brereton signing continues to baffle me, Armstrong has clearly been brought in as a wide man. He isn't clinical enough to be a striker anyway. 

If our entire budget for strikers was given to the Brereton transfer then we've taken a pretty big gamble imo.

I agree that it is a big gamble but I would be very surprised if a 6 million signing regardless of age could potentially be further pushed down the pecking order by another new striker. Cant see Mowbray (or most Championship managers) being given such a financial luxury!

55 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Pretty sure Mowbray said the opposite a few days ago regarding Graham.

From where I sit he clearly can't play 90 mins 3 times in a week. Has frequent hip and back problems and is usually blowing out of his arse after 60 mins. 

I disagree with the last bit. Hes never been the most athletic player but personally, id argue that Dack has visibly tired in my opinion more obviously than Graham in quite a few games. Obviously he probably cant play every minute of every game all season but on the flip side I hope we arent over cautious over one of our 2 primary attacking threats.

• Backroom
1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I agree that it is a big gamble but I would be very surprised if a 6 million signing regardless of age could potentially be further pushed down the pecking order by another new striker. Cant see Mowbray (or most Championship managers) being given such a financial luxury!

What if Mowbray doesn't see Brereton as a striker though? Thus far his appearances suggest an Armstrong type role of being a wide forward rather than the main striker going through the middle. I mean, he had the chance to put Brereton in the middle on Saturday and instead chose to put Dack there and have Brereton play on the wing. Tony kind of has form for playing strikers out wide (as in he does it constantly).

He played Dack there cos he didnt want playing wide or in the middle as a 3 cos of tactical awareness surely plus he did look shattered. 

I see Brereton taking over from Graham slowly but we take time. 

I agree on your point about Graham not being the best judge of his fitness. 

• Backroom
36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He played Dack there cos he didnt want playing wide or in the middle as a 3 cos of tactical awareness surely plus he did look shattered. 

Yeah, but the fact Brereton was brought on before Palmer or Rothwell to play that position suggests one of two things - Mowbray either sees Brereton as a very effective wide forward, or he was brought on purely because of the pressure of needing to field a player that's going to cost us a significant amount of money. I'd like to think it's the first option, as the second would be wrong on many levels and I don't think Mowbray would compromise the team to do that.

17 minutes ago, DE. said:

Yeah, but the fact Brereton was brought on before Palmer or Rothwell to play that position suggests one of two things - Mowbray either sees Brereton as a very effective wide forward, or he was brought on purely because of the pressure of needing to field a player that's going to cost us a significant amount of money. I'd like to think it's the first option, as the second would be wrong on many levels and I don't think Mowbray would compromise the team to do that.

Or he didnt trust Palmer to the job. And I thought Rothwell would come on for Reed. Surprise when Conway did tbh. 

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Or he didnt trust Palmer to the job. And I thought Rothwell would come on for Reed. Surprise when Conway did tbh. 

I'm guessing he brought Conway on for his experience, particularly with another older head in Graham having come off. A bit worrying if Mowbray would rather bring in a 19 year old kid out of position than play Palmer. 

At the very least I think we should be looking for a loan option to bring in as back up to Graham/Brereton, ideally one who can play the target man position now as opposed to some undefined point in the future. Graham being out for any extended period of time could cause big problems. The last thing we need is all the pressure being put on Brereton to perform when he isn't ready to do so. 

2 hours ago, DE. said:

What if Mowbray doesn't see Brereton as a striker though? Thus far his appearances suggest an Armstrong type role of being a wide forward rather than the main striker going through the middle. I mean, he had the chance to put Brereton in the middle on Saturday and instead chose to put Dack there and have Brereton play on the wing. Tony kind of has form for playing strikers out wide (as in he does it constantly).

I really hope that is not the case and Brereton is being groomed to be a number 9, but obviously one that will be behind Graham for the forseeable future.

Forest fans, including the one who came on this board, stated that he is really poor from that position, and needs to be used centrally. From his cameos in that position, I can understand why.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I see Brereton taking over from Graham slowly but we take time. 

I agree on your point about Graham not being the best judge of his fitness. 

You would, youve been deriding Grahams ability to play 3 games in a week for ages now!

• Backroom
Just now, roversfan99 said:

I really hope that is not the case and Brereton is being groomed to be a number 9, but obviously one that will be behind Graham for the forseeable future.

Forest fans, including the one who came on this board, stated that he is really poor from that position, and needs to be used centrally. From his cameos in that position, I can understand why.

The problem is that at Brereton's age he's going to need to be playing fairly regularly to improve to the level where he can be a regular first teamer. Twenty minute cameos here and there aren't going to help much, especially if he's out of position.

18 minutes ago, DE. said:

The problem is that at Brereton's age he's going to need to be playing fairly regularly to improve to the level where he can be a regular first teamer. Twenty minute cameos here and there aren't going to help much, especially if he's out of position.

Its a difficult one. You could argue that signing a third striker will compromise his development further though.

5 hours ago, DE. said:

I'm guessing he brought Conway on for his experience, particularly with another older head in Graham having come off. A bit worrying if Mowbray would rather bring in a 19 year old kid out of position than play Palmer. 

At the very least I think we should be looking for a loan option to bring in as back up to Graham/Brereton, ideally one who can play the target man position now as opposed to some undefined point in the future. Graham being out for any extended period of time could cause big problems. The last thing we need is all the pressure being put on Brereton to perform when he isn't ready to do so. 

Not a massive fan of Palmer so far. He has qualities but not sure if they are right for this current team. 

For me, we need to start using Brereton from the start in certain games. 

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I really hope that is not the case and Brereton is being groomed to be a number 9, but obviously one that will be behind Graham for the forseeable future

You would, youve been deriding Grahams ability to play 3 games in a week for ages now!

He can play 3 games but he cannot play 90 minutes per game. So thats why in certain Games I would put in on the bench. And play Brereton up front. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Not a massive fan of Palmer so far. He has qualities but not sure if they are right for this current team. 

For me, we need to start using Brereton from the start in certain games. 

He can play 3 games but he cannot play 90 minutes per game. So thats why in certain Games I would put in on the bench. And play Brereton up front. 

You missed out in your opinion.

Graham is as key to this team as Dack take either out and we will struggle to score or create goals.Dack isn’t the same player without Graham up top. Tonight as soon as Graham went off we lost our focal point and Swansea took control. We need a like for like replacement for Graham rather than an expensive experiment that play out wide. And by playing Dack upfront you minimise his best attributes. Tony got it horribly wrong tonight.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

Out of all the players we have at our disposal then Dack should be the one who could play the Graham role. He should be hard to push off the ball. What is removed when Dack takes over the role is the fact that Dack is not close by so he has no outlet ball close by so he feels he has to do it all himself.

Why does Brereton have to come on wide. Why can he not go into the number 10 role?

2 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Out of all the players we have at our disposal then Dack should be the one who could play the Graham role. He should be hard to push off the ball. What is removed when Dack takes over the role is the fact that Dack is not close by so he has no outlet ball close by so he feels he has to do it all himself.

Why does Brereton have to come on wide. Why can he not go into the number 10 role?

Have you ever played up front as a target man ? It's the hardest position on the pitch to play bar none. You've got to want to be there. Maybe Dack just doesn't fancy it.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

I met him tonight at The Aspinall Arms while I was out for something to eat and he was more than happy to have a photo and chat! 

Top man!

Yes he is top man. Spoken to him a couple of times. Polite, respectful he was when I ask could my step daughter have her picture with him. 

Top man and I hope he stays next season