BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Danny Graham

Saw the lad break onto the scene at Carlisle who raved about him. Had to say from what I saw he looked promising but nowhere near our level. 

Turns out I was wrong on both counts. Admittedly a lot of that is down to Venkys damage to the club, but a lot of that is also credit to Graham who made him a good championship level striker. Some of his play for us was really intelligent and he always looked and played like a "proper" striker. He held the ball up and brought players into the game and was a focal point for our attacks. For the majority of his time with us he played well and was crucial in us getting promoted- so thanks for the quality and consistency Danny! 

This season age may be catching up with him but given some of the dollopers we have played up front I can't help but think we didn't give him a fair crack at the whip and he would have offered more. Perhaps enough to make those extra few points up... 

Thing is despite knowing his age we haven't really replaced him £12 million on, albeit Armstrong has moved central which has lessened the blow somewhat. Given we need to replace him and being lumbered with two expensive donkeys its no surprise he has been let go. We need all the finance we can to replace him and address the other squad issues. 

All in all during Venkys reign of terror one of the more positive memories and one of the crown jewels of our promotion season. I'll remember him positively which I can't say of too many players of late. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

a proper centre forward who could hold the ball up well and a good finisher,the much vaunted european scouting system should be looking around everywhere for a natural replacement,not sure if we have an british scouting system,maybe it`s been cancelled because it came up with brereton?

Hugill is a natural replacement,  I'd take himwith both BB and SG going the other way.

• Like 2

Nice write up in the Telegraph about Danny Graham:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18606621.rovers-danny-graham-gamble-proved-nothing-sort/

The striking position is the hardest position on the pitch to fill as a manager, although some would say the keeper this season......This is one of the reasons why I could never understand posters hammering Rhodes week in week out "All he does is score goals" yes and bleedin lots of em, exactly what he's paid to do!

Danny Graham was a bit of a love hate figure for me, sometimes he looked laboured, unfit and not interested, then he'd go on a scoring run and all would be well in the world again. Very good servant to the club in difficult times, will be fondly remembered, in our house at least.

• Like 1

Good player for us. Had a few memorable moments but top for me is scoring this frankly unbelievable team goal against Derby.

Really need a striker to come in of a similar quality and experience now 

Edit - only just realised that hes had by far his longest spell with any club with Rovers. 

Edited by joey_big_nose

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Good player for us. Had a few memorable moments but top for me is scoring this frankly unbelievable team goal against Derby.

Edit - only just realised that hes had by far his longest spell with any club with Rovers. 

That's a belter! Is that J Lowe doing his best Iniesta impression. I always rated Marshall - quality player. 

Good footballer Danny Graham, a proper centre forward. Wish we'd had him 5 years younger. 

I hoped Brereton and Gallagher might have learnt something from him in training, but they obviously haven't

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Quite a talking point up there,7 pages of talk just today about signing him,we have 8 pages in 4 years of him being here ? i didnt realise he played so bad there in the past.Kind of like what it would be here if we had ever re-signed Kevin Davies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

That's a belter! Is that J Lowe doing his best Iniesta impression. I always rated Marshall - quality player. 

Yes, a real shame he wasted that talent. Could have been a top Championship or even a decent Premiership player.

A lot of paralells with Bentley.

Many saying he only scored 4 goals this season. Yeah because he only played from the bench mainly. Would be a good signing for them on a free. Will score goals aplenty at that level as we already know. If they can find a Dack too, they might just get out of that league.

13 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

This one for me

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

They are a deluded nation in the NE though. I used to like Sunderland when we were all PL. the way they’ve treated Steward Donald though, the Netflix, the big club mantra recently kinda changed that 

A few interested buyers of Sunderland. CEO of RICH Energy drinks has claimed he has bid. Michael Gray, ours and theirs former player, is also leading a consortium apparently.

21 minutes ago, starscascade said:

Also, Sunderland nab him on a free and they'll be getting a shed load of goals. Watch it in a few months we'll be wishing we hadnt sent him off!

We won’t be he’s finished at this level and a high earner we have to use our monies more sensibly 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, johnradfordsubbuteo said:

Freudian slip by DG in his interview with the website:

"but hopefully there’s going to be an ‘Armstrong and Brereton’ or ‘Armstrong and Gallagher’ partnership and the club will move forward, which is the most important thing.”

Not Brereton and Gallagher I note?

Perhaps an honest opinion, though.

I'd like to think that, having trained and played with all three of them,  Graham's trying to hint to our manager that his experience as a forward has taught him that 'Arma + 1' will be crucial to our forward play next season.

• Like 1