BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Danny Graham

Very candid for someone still playing, though I suppose you get to his age and you think ‘feck it!’

Oh and I’ll remind folk of this video when they start banging on about how ‘the game’s changed’, ‘players rarely drink/go out’, ‘they come back from the close season these days without an inch of fat’ etc etc 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kie_BRFC said:

Just finished listening to this, and it reaffirms to me exactly why I won't be kissing Venky's feet after a few good years under Mowbray. The fact Coyle was even appointed, let alone kept on for so long is an absolute disgrace, and just shows to me that we are always one decision away from everything collapsing again.

Disgusting appointment. No respect. 

I knew it at the time and everything I have heard merely confirms that judgement..

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Very candid for someone still playing, though I suppose you get to his age and you think ‘feck it!’

Oh and I’ll remind folk of this video when they start banging on about how ‘the game’s changed’, ‘players rarely drink/go out’, ‘they come back from the close season these days without an inch of fat’ etc etc 

Good boy Danny, but maybe not so great on self-reflection. First he tells on being hard done by Mowbray in League One, where he started 2 games, and then was out of the squad untill November. Shortly after he tells about him and Dacky going out on the piss all the time and getting called into the gaffer's office 3 times before October. Might seem related :)

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, briansol said:

Good boy Danny, but maybe not so great on self-reflection. First he tells on being hard done by Mowbray in League One, where he started 2 games, and then was out of the squad untill November. Shortly after he tells about him and Dacky going out on the piss all the time and getting called into the gaffer's office 3 times before October. Might seem related :)

Quite!

"It was carnage, mate, We was steaming.." (Repeat),,,...Dear, oh dear...

47 minutes ago, briansol said:

But Dack played in most of the games.

15 minutes ago, arbitro said:

But Dack played in most of the games.

Actually looking at the stats, Graham is rewriting history. He was not out the squad, but on the bench, and came on as a sub most games. He was also back in the starting elevent mid October. Dack was also sub on several of those occasions trying to get to match fitness as I recall.

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=308&teamTabs=results

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It could explain Dack scoring 1 in 9 before October (0.11 goals per game) and then 17 in 36 after that (0.47 goals per game)

As I recall many of his goals came because of his partnership with Graham which is borne out by your figures. My point was that I believe Mowbray has had his favourites in his time here. I spoke to a player at Hilton Park after a defeat at Aston Villa and put that point to him. His wry smile spoke volumes.

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Good podcast with Danny Graham here. Mentions his time at Rovers towards the end of it, describes his relationship with Mowbray as "love-hate" and mentioned him being unfairly punished and made an example of for being late after getting stuck on the motorway due to a car accident. Also mentions going vegan, his relationship with Mulgrew and Dack, Coyle being a laughing stock and his time with Lambert too.

Is their a copy with English sub-titles?

Interesting interview in many ways. Coyle got a million quid for Burnley’s promotion! It seemed clear to me how divergent fans’ and players’ interests are - The fans pain about Coyle seems in stark contrast to the jolly japes at his expense by the players. It really is only a job to them, and when you have what is effectively an unbreakable contract then your job isn’t at risk no matter how useless the manager.

And I for one think Mowbray was right to drop Graham for missing training the day before a game, no matter what the reason. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Might not be a popular opinion and don’t get me wrong I do like the guy. He gave me his shirt in Austria before he didn’t pay the taxi driver and ended up in the nick but he did come across as a bit of a man child. We’re about the same age but he didn’t seem very professional. Him and dacky might have enjoyed nights out but I wasn’t enjoying working overtime and travelling for hours to watch his lethargic overweight ass struggle as Southend battered us. The night in Manchester after we got promoted he talked like the season was done . There was a league title at stake plus other little comments and his attitude confirmed the holiday mentality with the we best do abit.  He was a good player for us as is Dack and I’m sure they arnt the only ones but it just annoys me when they have all summer to have fun with there massive bank balances and can’t be 100 % committed during the season. The start to the league one campaign was abysmal and there coming in with the same body fat as me and playing with hangovers.  I didnt think he came across well at all 

Graham deserved to be dropped at the start of the league 1 campaign, he was ridiculously out of shape and not interested when on the pitch. Credit probably goes to mowbray for his attitude shift.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Interesting interview in many ways. Coyle got a million quid for Burnley’s promotion! It seemed clear to me how divergent fans’ and players’ interests are - The fans pain about Coyle seems in stark contrast to the jolly japes at his expense by the players. It really is only a job to them, and when you have what is effectively an unbreakable contract then your job isn’t at risk no matter how useless the manager.

And I for one think Mowbray was right to drop Graham for missing training the day before a game, no matter what the reason. 

Im not sure on the second bit, not if he was stuck on the motorway because of an accident. If there was no reason or it kept happening then fair enough 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Think the motorway thing is abit harsh as a one of but agree with the rest . 

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I think the message of no excuses being acceptable is a good one early in a manager’s reign.

I get what your saying id like to think I’d get given a break in that circumstance as a one off. If Tony did that to me I would be annoyed and think he wasn’t very understanding. If it happened again then fair enough 

Edited by Oldgregg86

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I get what your saying id like to think I’d get given a break in that circumstance as a one off. If Tony did that to me I would be annoyed and think he wasn’t very understanding. If it happened again then fair enough 

I think it suggests Mowbray's patience wasn't at its best before this occurance.  He didn't believe him or he wouldn't have dropped him.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think it suggests Mowbray's patience wasn't at its best before this occurance.  He didn't believe him or he wouldn't have deopped him.

Yeah that came across also . Danny’s attitude probably didn’t help Tony’s decision if he was telling the truth about motorway. I get why Tony might have made the decision he did 

Watched it, and was a good insite. Spoke alot about his time with other clubs and Managers, and very complimentary about them all bar Di Canio , Coyle and Mowbray. Given he was at rovers for four and half seasons he skirted around his time at the club. 

He liked Lambert who was true to his word of leaving if venkys didnt back the club with cash.

He spoke of the treatment of Mulgrew being unfair, given our goals against column did not improve last season.

Obviously loved a good session on the beer, as did most of the teams he has played for.

Mowbray and Venus giving different views on how they want the side to play, is probably why we have come up short the last couple of seasons. If the players are not sure whats being asked of them, they cant be expected to keep with any game plan.

I did sense, he has just left a ship, which has never been as happy as it may look from the outside.

A big season ahead for Rovers and Mowbray. We certainly have the numbers to be able to get through injuries and suspensions. We need to show consistency in our play now. We looked world beaters against Wycombe and Derby. However Forest and Cardiff, those two teams sat 10 yards deeper and basically nullified any penetration. It was a similar tale against Newcastle, we had all the ball, but around the 18 yard box, it was trying to thread the eye of the needle. I actually think Rovers do suffer from not having big lads in the attacking third. We could argue, Gallagher and Brereton should be on the end of crosses with their height. However im 5-10, and at their age was scoring 10 to 15 headers a season. Their body shape is all wrong, its easy to defend. They are too static when we hit long to either player. They take up a space, rather than go and meet the ball. Danny Graham was a master of hold up play. Whilst when we get the ball in the box, Gallagher in particular is either static waiting for it to land on his head, rather than making a movement to meet the ball. Or he is just not backing himself to beat his man and score.

I think the squad we have should get top 6, but TM will need to come up with plan b, c and d, so we dont become predictable  relying on individual moments of brilliance.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, arbitro said:

As I recall many of his goals came because of his partnership with Graham which is borne out by your figures. My point was that I believe Mowbray has had his favourites in his time here. I spoke to a player at Hilton Park after a defeat at Aston Villa and put that point to him. His wry smile spoke volumes.

I'm not sure you can really blame him for having his favourites sometimes. If he has a group of players always out and enjoying their time on the beers then an Elliot Bennett who looks after his body and comes into training ready to work what is Mowbray supposed to do? He is probably well aware of certain players attributes but if he were to pick them regardless of attitude it says to those players that their attitude doesn't matter and to the rest, especially younger players that they don't have to be professional. 

In this instance I am all for Mowbrays favourites and having role models such as Elliott Bennett in the squad is exactly what is needed, even if he isn't getting many minutes.  

• Like 3

Just now, ben_the_beast said:

I'm not sure you can really blame him for having his favourites sometimes. If he has a group of players always out and enjoying their time on the beers then an Elliot Bennett who looks after his body and comes into training ready to work what is Mowbray supposed to do? He is probably well aware of certain players attributes but if he were to pick them regardless of attitude it says to those players that their attitude doesn't matter and to the rest, especially younger players that they don't have to be professional. 

In this instance I am all for Mowbrays favourites and having role models such as Elliott Bennett in the squad is exactly what is needed, even if he isn't getting many minutes.  

I think it’s not as black and white as were trying to make it. For instance fergie was known to be ruthless with his players and even stricter with the young lads but cantona generally got away with most things . You do have to set a standard and risk upsetting players whilst getting the best out of players that won’t respond anything but negatively to authority. It’s down to man management and I hate the guy but no doubt fergie was the best at it 

Souness was another who had his favs i remember him shunting Lucas Neil around at one point just to have him on the pitch. 

Just a bit grim when you feel you have to leave out some of the better players just to get a bit of respect and prove a point because ultimately it's the team that suffers.  Hit them in the pocket instead and get them in for extra training and threaten breach of contract if they refuse.  

It shows a bit more balls than just dropping them then probably using a line 'we are trying something else today son' when they know the real reason.

12 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

There is a balance to be had in my view but if weakening the team and lessening the chance of winning because of a situation that was out of Grahams control seemed harsh. And lest we forget Dack was close to being jailed because of misdemeanours off the field, in fact Mowbray spoke for him in court. I can't be certain but I don't recall him being dropped because of it.