BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Friendly

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know much about this Wharton lad? I went to primary school at Salesbury and played for the school team in my final year, but that was 37 years ago and we moved away from Wilpshire and Lancashire a year later. There was a lad named Wharton who also played that year but cannot remember his first name. He was also in the year below me. We were pretty decent, with Keith Newton's son, Craig also in the team. Only ask out of nostalgia. The surname rang a bell and I believe Scott may be from Wilpshire.

• Backroom

I hope (but doubt) he's a success but can't ever envisage chanting that. Sad state of affairs for all Rovers.

If he's a success you can be sure I will chant it, get us promoted and I'll chip into the statue fund!

I honestly expect him to fail and when he does I will give him pelters but if he does well I couldn't care less about him being a bit of a penis in the past!

Football fans are fickle, I am happy to admit my fickleness.

If he's a success you can be sure I will chant it, get us promoted and I'll chip into the statue fund!

I honestly expect him to fail and when he does I will give him pelters but if he does well I couldn't care less about him being a bit of a penis in the past!

Football fans are fickle, I am happy to admit my fickleness.

If OC brings a team that works hård, attacks and is (ahem) positive in style of play then it will be interesting. Results will matter but there are many who are painting themselves into a corner with their opinions. Anything above 14th this season would be respectable given the working conditions and "blackpoolesque" situation that was developing...

Anyone know much about this Wharton lad? I went to primary school at Salesbury and played for the school team in my final year, but that was 37 years ago and we moved away from Wilpshire and Lancashire a year later. There was a lad named Wharton who also played that year but cannot remember his first name. He was also in the year below me. We were pretty decent, with Keith Newton's son, Craig also in the team. Only ask out of nostalgia. The surname rang a bell and I believe Scott may be from Wilpshire.

His dad John Wharton played cricket for Rishton.

He's definitely from that area. His younger brother was on Burnley's books and did play for Lammack.

Shirt numbers look tacky as hell. They're not official surely?

Yes they are the new EFL (English Football League just in case you are unsure what country your team plays in :) ) official numbers, . All part of the very expensive re-branding of the oldest football league competition in the world to look as cool as a tacky energy company or something

football-league-shirt-font-sleeve-patche

http://www.footyheadlines.com/2016/05/football-league-shirt-font-sleeve-patches.html

Just seen a kid walking round with one. The number is in the lower half of the shirt and the name is too far down from the neck. In the footage of yesterday's game I though the numbers looked too low (no names printed) and just assumed it was sloppy printing in a rush but it appears that's the style. Looks awful.

If I buy a shirt, I don't get a number on but my kids usually do.

Can these chumps do anything without it being controversial?

Any teasers of the away kit yet? It's my last hope of merchandise this season, following the poor training gear and recycled home kit but I'm not holding my breath.

Thought Graham looked a bit chubs, same for Feeney. Maybe the shirts are unflattering. I thought Byrne looked tidy from what I saw but not much else stood out for me. Didn't think Hendrie looked too good though and heard the same from someone who played against him for u21s but hopefully we'll be strengthening at left back.

Just seen a kid walking round with one. The number is in the lower half of the shirt and the name is too far down from the neck. In the footage of yesterday's game I though the numbers looked too low (no names printed) and just assumed it was sloppy printing in a rush but it appears that's the style. Looks awful.

If I buy a shirt, I don't get a number on but my kids usually do.

I know they can not put the sponsor on the front of kids shirts (gambling company etc) but does that also apply to the EFL sleeve patches which predominantly feature another betting company, did you notice sleeve patches on the shirt that you spotted.

I know they can not put the sponsor on the front of kids shirts (gambling company etc) but does that also apply to the EFL sleeve patches which predominantly feature another betting company, did you notice sleeve patches on the shirt that you spotted.

They're not allowed to put the patches on junior shirts. I don't think they can put them on a shirt if the person buying it is under 18 either.

His dad John Wharton played cricket for Rishton.

Thanks to those who replied. Still struggling to remember the lads name, but had thought it was something like that. Sounds like he is related, if not indeed his lad. Have now seen a photo of Scott and there is certainly a passing resemblance to the Wharton I remember. I think Mick Rathbone's daughter was in my class for a while, as was Keith Newton's son. Howard Kendall lived behind us and John Bailey and Paul Bradshaw lodged with family friends in the village. Good memories and one of the reasons why I chose Rovers as my club for life.

Thanks to those who replied. Still struggling to remember the lads name, but had thought it was something like that. Sounds like he is related, if not indeed his lad. Have now seen a photo of Scott and there is certainly a passing resemblance to the Wharton I remember. I think Mick Rathbone's daughter was in my class for a while, as was Keith Newton's son. Howard Kendall lived behind us and John Bailey and Paul Bradshaw lodged with family friends in the village. Good memories and one of the reasons why I chose Rovers as my club for life.

Ah Ribchester Road! I remember Bradshaw and Bailey, living there-Bobby Mitchell too. We used to see them in the Wilpshire Hotel.

To complete the trivia theme, in an earlier era, Derek Dougan went out with a beauty queen from Somerset Avenue. That was before he became a campaigner for the death penalty, which is a punishment that would have been too good for him after his behaviour around the 1960 cup final!

Ah Ribchester Road! I remember Bradshaw and Bailey, living there-Bobby Mitchell too. We used to see them in the Wilpshire Hotel.

To complete the trivia theme, in an earlier era, Derek Dougan went out with a beauty queen from Somerset Avenue. That was before he became a campaigner for the death penalty, which is a punishment that would have been too good for him after his behaviour around the 1960 cup final!

Don't remember the beauty queen reference - probably before my time, but we did live on both Somerset Avenue and Ribchester Road as it happens (next door to the chapel). I think my brother used to drink in the Wilpshire Hotel. I did do a paper road for the newsagents that included Ribchester Road and whatever the road was that ran behind it!

Archived