BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Friendly

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't remember the beauty queen reference - probably before my time, but we did live on both Somerset Avenue and Ribchester Road as it happens (next door to the chapel). I think my brother used to drink in the Wilpshire Hotel. I did do a paper road for the newsagents that included Ribchester Road and whatever the road was that ran behind it!

Before my time too...but (sadly) I remember her name..... Valerie Martin.

I also know what book Elvis was reading on the loo, when he died!

Would have guessed the Bible, but curiosity got the better of me so Googled it. Not correct, but not bad effort either. Probably could do with a little divine intervention this season!

From my extensive research on Presley, it would appear that he was reading a book titled 'sex and psychic energy'. Whilst undoubtedly a religious man, the substitution of this for the spiritual book was part of the cover up surrounding the circumstances of his tragic demise.

On another note, I have an 8mm cine film of a 1964 Witton Park parade with a glimpse of beauty queen Valerie Martin in all her finery.

Sorry for going wildly off topic!

Val Martin went out with Derek Dougan. I lived next door to her family as little boy!!!

True. I met the two of them together at a cricket match at Alexandra Meadows. Valerie also played badminton for St Silas' in the Blackburn League.

Archived