BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Labour Leadership Bid And Future Of The Party

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is surely that Corbyn, having been elected to lead simply doesn't do it. He showed no clear leadership in the referendum debate either way

He's been in the job 9 months!

The referendum campaign was lead by Hillary Benn, not Corbyn.

The party would have been better backing him at this moment in time instead of destroying themselves from inside.

They could have mounted a leadership challenge in 12 months time, but no typical Labour, short sighted.

That surely shouldn't be happening though Gav. If Corbyns the leader then surely leading the party's campaign to stay in the EU should have been a given. It's the first big thing he should have done and he doesn't do it. It doesn't matter to me. Totally non party political me, but I can't see why he's so loved by the membership as a leader when he clearly does not lead. He goes his way and sees who follows.

The issue here is that in reality the Labour parties membership makes up a very small % of the total vote, however controls who is in effect one of two candiatws for PM. It allows radical memberships to vote in radical leaders.

Its a reasonable system (what is fairer than the membership directly voting in the leader?) but has one severe weakness in that the general election is a totally different beast, and the issues that matter to the radical membership are not generally shared.

I watched the news tonight - Eagk1e looks totally uninspiring, Jeremy is digging in, and this could well be the end of the Labour party as we know it.

It really feels like we are in a totally different political universe now. One unimaginable ten years ago, and one very much less stable and predictable. I wonder where we will go.

politics. what a farce!

Absolutely

Tories played a blinder here by cutting to the chase and installing May as PM, now stole another march on the labour party which frankly is in turmoil.

They're now trying to keep Corbyn off the ballot paper, its an absolute disgrace and I agree with Len LacCluskey, its a 'squalid Westminster bubble coup' an 'attempted political lynching'

Whether you agree with the current leader or not, we live in a democracy and have rules on voting/electing, they should be observed, not disregarded when it suits.

I agree Gav. The thought of having a leadership "contest" and then deliberately using 1980's rules to try and even keep the LEADER off the ballot is ridiculous.

I also wonder if Cameron is busy packing his bags now, or if there's some absolutely stupid process that has to be followed where there still needs to be a ballot of the membership.

I agree Gav. The thought of having a leadership "contest" and then deliberately using 1980's rules to try and even keep the LEADER off the ballot is ridiculous.

I also wonder if Cameron is busy packing his bags now, or if there's some absolutely stupid process that has to be followed where there still needs to be a ballot of the membership.

There is only one candidate, so one vote would do it, she could be PM by the end of the day.

Any one who wants an election now should have good think about it, with the state of Labour the Tories would win a landslide

• Moderation Lead

The Tories are effectively running unopposed, which is terrifying enough in itself, there desperately needs to be some credible, vote-winning opposition ASAP.

from a Tory point of view, it would probably be the perfect time for the GE as they would get another 5 years unopposed.

I think thats the plan, no leader can have credibility without going out to the electorate, Gordon Brown found that out.

from a Tory point of view, it would probably be the perfect time for the GE as they would get another 5 years unopposed.

Labour would be absolutely annihilated if there was a snap GE. They have called for one but I think there is zero chance they would actually vote in parliament to trigger one.

Even though I like to see Labour get an absolute kicking, for the good of the country I really hope there isn't one. There is plenty of instability right now and I don't think it's fair on the general public.

• Moderation Lead

Labour would be absolutely annihilated if there was a snap GE. They have called for one but I think there is zero chance they would actually vote in parliament to trigger one.

Even though I like to see Labour get an absolute kicking, for the good of the country I really hope there isn't one. There is plenty of instability right now and I don't think it's fair on the general public.

The big concern (for me anyway) is with no real oppositon, the Tories running amok and leaning more and more to the right, privatising the NHS etc. Of course, I could well be paranoid and it may well not happen, but the more I see online, the more worried I get.... :unsure:

The big concern (for me anyway) is with no real oppositon, the Tories running amok and leaning more and more to the right, privatising the NHS etc. Of course, I could well be paranoid and it may well not happen, but the more I see online, the more worried I get.... :unsure:

I'm a tory voter but I do believe in the concept of having a strong and credible opposition to keep the governing party on its toes. If you don't then government becomes lazy and make more mistakes.

I'm a tory voter but I do believe in the concept of having a strong and credible opposition to keep the governing party on its toes. If you don't then government becomes lazy and make more mistakes.

Does the state of the opposition really matter at this stage in influencing the government? The Conservatives are 1/5th of the way into a 5 year term, in my opinion it wouldn't really matter at this point in the cycle how strong the Labour leader was. The Conservatives have won the right to decide on policy for the next 4 years because they won the election last year. If Labour had just won an election, I'd like to think I wouldn't be taking the sour grapes approach of hoping and fretting over how best my party can disrupt all their policies. I'd accept defeat for now, chill out for a bit, let them get on with it and judge them at the end of that period.

May's leadership slogan on her podium today was exactly what you'd expect a Labour leader to say. I know some would say words are just words but I hardly think the Tories are salivating with manic glee at how they can screw the country over just because Corbyn ain't that good. I've every faith in May and the party, let the critics have a good moan as they always do and I fully expect them to get on with it and take us onward and upward.

No reason for a GE if you ask me. Cameron said he wasn't going to stand in the next election, and so it was always a case we would have a new Tory leader before then.

Labour are going through a leadership challenge, and most of the PLP don't want their leader, so theres no point for them.

Lib Dems may win a couple of seats back, but not enough to force a coalition.

No party can put a manifesto forward for the next 5 years at this point anyway, as we have no idea what way the negotiations will go to start with,

Labour, Lib Dems and all opposition parties should be asking for a representative voice on the Brexit negotiations - that's all that is needed for now.

Whenever I think about the ridiculous business of politics I think of Blackadder. "This is the worst moment of my entire life. I've spent my last penny on a cat skin windcheater, I've just broken a priceless turnip and now I'm about to be viciously slaughtered by a naked Tunisian sock merchant. Well, all I can say Baldrick is that's the last time I dabble in politics.

No reason for a GE if you ask me. Cameron said he wasn't going to stand in the next election, and so it was always a case we would have a new Tory leader before then.

Labour are going through a leadership challenge, and most of the PLP don't want their leader, so theres no point for them.

Lib Dems may win a couple of seats back, but not enough to force a coalition.

No party can put a manifesto forward for the next 5 years at this point anyway, as we have no idea what way the negotiations will go to start with,

Labour, Lib Dems and all opposition parties should be asking for a representative voice on the Brexit negotiations - that's all that is needed for now.

I agree there is no reason to have an election right now, but May would be wise to have one within the next six months or so. Leading without a direct mandate from the people is corrosive, as Brown found out.

Whenever I think about the ridiculous business of politics I think of Blackadder. "This is the worst moment of my entire life. I've spent my last penny on a cat skin windcheater, I've just broken a priceless turnip and now I'm about to be viciously slaughtered by a naked Tunisian sock merchant. Well, all I can say Baldrick is that's the last time I dabble in politics.

Try this for size,

The EU is currently trying to get a deal with China which isn't contingent on a 'free movement' clause despite telling UK its a red line.

WTF

I agree there is no reason to have an election right now, but May would be wise to have one within the next six months or so. Leading without a direct mandate from the people is corrosive, as Brown found out.

The GE should be scheduled for after the Brexit process is complete or at the end of the 5 year term, whichever is sooner.

There are 2 reasons for May to go for a GE now, the first to re-affirm power, and to try and justify a mandate to negotiate Brexit entirety by the Tories on behalf of the whole country. The second to give herself a increased majority and 5 years in power- whilst Id agree she'd win, it's hardly in the country's best interest to go through a GE campaigning cycle now instead of just getting on with things - she has 4 years now.

The problem is surely that Corbyn, having been elected to lead simply doesn't do it. He showed no clear leadership in the referendum debate either way

I am probably one of the few on here who has met Corbyn (various times).

He is a Trotskyite. He is a man of protest and opposition; he is no leader.

He listens to those who support him; and closes his ears and mind to those who do not.

Voting Labour is a vote for JC.....that is why I cannot vote for his party at the present moment.

Archived