BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did you call him quality without having a clue who it was?

I assume it was Nixon who said he was quality and Chaddy took his word for it.

Incidentally, for a guy who works in football journalism and should be well clued up, his judgement on players/managers abilities is abysmal (Nixon not Chaddy)

I don't know why there is all this scepticism on Giles Barnes. Before he got injured he was a quality player that many were talking about when he was at Derby. He then had a severe injury and never had a full season for a little while and was written. He since went to the MLS where he has done well and has earned the right to give the UK another shot.

I had a conversation funnily enough this weekend with another Rovers Fan ... Considering how low we are on numbers and how skint we are why hasn't OCM looked at signing anyone from MLS ? After coaching there he must have a good idea of who is good enough for the championship and surely fees and salaries (star players excluding) are lower than here ?? ... I am not big on MLS , perhaps some of our Northern American posters can confirm but I'm sure there's an English striker by the name of Dwyer or Dyer something like that who's prolific over there,and surely the must be a half decent centre half there who's not 36 years old

I don't know why there is all this scepticism on Giles Barnes. Before he got injured he was a quality player that many were talking about when he was at Derby. He then had a severe injury and never had a full season for a little while and was written. He since went to the MLS where he has done well and has earned the right to give the UK another shot.

Perhaps because the only level he has looked ok at - not even good in - is mls. Mind you way we're going he'll be quite a coup...

No sarcastic comment at all.

I was grateful for the post as I didnt know much about him.

Well if that constitutes a 'scout report' then it's no wonder we have to rely on trials! :rolleyes:

• Backroom

Can't believe it was actually Giles Barnes

Remember me joking a few times and having a good hearted back and forth with Gav that Clownpants Jr was talking to him on Twitter and we would probably end up signing him

Shocking lack of imagination

I am not big on MLS , perhaps some of our Northern American posters can confirm but I'm sure there's an English striker by the name of Dwyer or Dyer something like that who's prolific over there,and surely the must be a half decent centre half there who's not 36 years old

Dom Dwyer plays for Sporting KC - he just turned 26 yesterday

http://www.sportingkc.com/players/dom-dwyer

(admittedly he's one of the better strikers in MLS and fights well. granted he may perform well for (an English) side that passes well)

please note the last line on his club bio...

Favorite celebrity encounter was speaking to former Bolton Wanderers manager Owen Coyle.

Remember me joking a few times and having a good hearted back and forth with Gav that Clownpants Jr was talking to him on Twitter and we would probably end up signing him

I would say it's a whole lot worse than that Tom. I likewise suggested Giles Barnes once I knew OC would be appointed, more out of jest than any knowledge he might be interested. The history and profile of the player kind of suggested he may pursue him, but not as first, second or even tenth choice! Not only does it therefore smack of a total lack of imagination if true, it infers to me that OC has also run out of ideas for now. It also definitely confirms he has no real cash to spend on a journeyman pro who showed a bit of promise in his teens but has been blighted with glass legs ever since. Just ponder that for a minute!

Looks like Coyles "scouting network" and "contacts" are as restricted as Lamberts were. For all Gary Bowyers faults,his "scouting connections" were vastly superior even if on a restricted budget,or maybe he just had a talent for "adding value" even if not for getting results on the field. Hence he got the Blackpool gig.

Wouldnt you think Coyle could bring in at least one player from the U.S.to improve the squad?

• Backroom

Considering Lambert only had one transfer window in January, it's a bit harsh to call his contacts restricted. January was just a case of him bringing in players he knew and trusted to steady the ship until the summer.

To be fair to Coyle most managers have players they feel they can rely on, and Barnes is that man for Coyle.

But to a man/woman most posters on here predicted Barnes in, Hanley Duffy and Marshall out with little or no investment.

Easy this managerial lark, £500k a year for failing time and time again.

Good work if you can get it.

Archived