SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gumboots said:

I think he's a do what they tell you to do type of player so in a decent system where you're given a simple task and forced to stick to it you do ok.

Agreed. He's good at some things and he'd dogged but he lacks basic football ability.

I've never thought he was good or even average, just that he's or has the potential to be, the kind of workhorse some managers want.  It would have to be right manager, right team though for him to rise above mediocrity.

I like Lowe. Think he's a much better player than people give him credit for. Unfortunately some fans can't seem to go 5 mins without slagging CM's off at this club. I remember people slating N'Zonzi because he "only passes sideways". Sometimes it's the system rather than the player.

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

We can't sell a lad whose contract has expired.

I'll be honest. I didn't know that. I feel a bit stupid now.

I don't understand how it works. We've got 7 out of contract. Unless we sign then, how do they go to another club? 

If say, the thing I posted about Wigan, Hull and Burnley wanting Lowe, how does he end up at either? And will we get absolutely nothing for him, other than a saving in the wage bill?

Just now, Leyland-Rover said:

I don't understand how it works. We've got 7 out of contract. Unless we sign then, how do they go to another club? 

If say, the thing I posted about Wigan, Hull and Burnley wanting Lowe, how does he end up at either?

Don't feel stupid.

Their contract expires, they say goodbye to all their mates, clear their locker and walk out. Their agent then finds him a club. If the player is any good other clubs will already be in touch with his agent. If the player isn't in demand the agent will have to earn his fee by finding somebody to take him.

Some agents have been making a tidy sum by doing exactly this to Rovers!

In the old days the club used to be able to hold on to player registrations so that they couldn't play for another club but that all changed many years ago. Google Jean-Marc Bosman.

Just now, Stuart said:

Don't feel stupid.

Their contract expires, they say goodbye to all their mates, clear their locker and walk out. Their agent then finds him a club. If the player is any good other clubs will already be in touch with his agent. If the player isn't in demand the agent will have to earn his fee by finding somebody to take him.

Some agents have been making a tidy sum by doing exactly this to Rovers!

In the old days the club used to be able to hold on to player registrations so that they couldn't play for another club but that all changed many years ago. Google Jean-Marc Bosman.

Thanks for clearing that up. Wow. That's a kick in the balls.

So say United buy Messi for £1 gazillion. He signs a 1 year deal. Hates the Trafford Center and wants to leave. So he refuses to sign a new deal, Leyton Orient come along having just won the EuroMillions and tempt him with paying whatever his wages are, which he accept. United then lose their £1 gazillion investment and are left with nothing. Blimey.

Just now, Leyland-Rover said:

Thanks for clearing that up. Wow. That's a kick in the balls.

So say United buy Messi for £1 gazillion. He signs a 1 year deal. Hates the Trafford Center and wants to leave. So he refuses to sign a new deal, Leyton Orient come along having just won the EuroMillions and tempt him with paying whatever his wages are, which he accept. United then lose their £1 gazillion investment and are left with nothing. Blimey.

Sort of. In your example United's 'investment' of £1 gazillion was in the knowledge that it was one year only because they agreed terms with the player at the same time. If they weren't happy with that then they should have offered him more gazillions to stay for longer.

23 minutes ago, Leyland-Rover said:

If say, the thing I posted about Wigan, Hull and Burnley wanting Lowe, how does he end up at either? And will we get absolutely nothing for him, other than a saving in the wage bill?

http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/11/compensation-players-24-mystery/

We will get money for Mahoney because he's under 24 and so we are entitled to compensation....as long as we've offered him a contract for the same money he was on before. Normally the two clubs agree the compensation figure but if they can't it goes to a tribunal. At the bottom of the above link are some examples of fees decide by Tribs.

11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/11/compensation-players-24-mystery/

We will get money for Mahoney because he's under 24 and so we are entitled to compensation....as long as we've offered him a contract for the same money he was on before. Normally the two clubs agree the compensation figure but if they can't it goes to a tribunal. At the bottom of the above link are some examples of fees decide by Tribs.

That's a very interesting read. Thank you.

Are there any other common reasons why sell-on clauses can be attached to players that are moved on, separate to the Under 24 rule.

3 hours ago, morgy_ said:

I like Lowe. Think he's a much better player than people give him credit for. Unfortunately some fans can't seem to go 5 mins without slagging CM's off at this club. I remember people slating N'Zonzi because he "only passes sideways". Sometimes it's the system rather than the player.

Comparing Steven N'Zonzi to Jason Lowe... deary me.

N'Zonzi is (and was) a much better player than Lowe, but I will agree that our supporters have been rather hard on central midfielders of the years. 

I fear that next year we will be looking back and wishing that we had a player of Lowe's calibre, much like I dream of seeing someone like Keith Andrews in our side right now. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

N'Zonzi is (and was) a much better player than Lowe, but I will agree that our supporters have been rather hard on central midfielders of the years. 

I fear that next year we will be looking back and wishing that we had a player of Lowe's calibre, much like I dream of seeing someone like Keith Andrews in our side right now. 

Our central midfield has been largely dreadful for a very long time now.

Jermaine Jones and Phil Jones were probably the last decent 2 and one is a centre back and the other wasn't ours.

Murphy, Etuhu, Evans, Lowe, Akpan, Petrovic, Jorge (who? Exactly) Cairney (technically good, workrate of Berbatov, rarely played CM anyway)

Guthrie was reasonably poor until Mowbray came in, Mulgrew would have been good but was needed at CB.

Archived