BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

They were just stitching it up for themselves to get a cut of any future transfer fees if young players made the grade and attracted interest and a cut of a pay from a nice long contract if not. That's how it would have panned out i'm sure wee gem would have recommended Henley and Lowe be paid off before now if he was still in the driving seat the corrupt @#/?.

Pretty certain that someone somewhere still had a vested interest in Lowe starting every game. Bowyers obsession with him despite often having better in the squad and means to bring others in and in light of continually poor performances wasn't funny at all.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, tomphil said:

What your advocating is basically promote half the youth team overnight into the first team squad which was always on the cards because it's the cheapo easy option. It's naïve very naïve to do that and expect to prosper in this league without complimenting it with some experienced and physically mature players being brought in as well.

It isn't really promoting half the youth. 

Raya, Lenihan, Nyambe have been around and in the first team the last 12 month. The new additions would be Wharton, Fisher, Tomlinson, Doyle...Hardly turning over trees and over promoting the youth. It gives the perfect balance to bring in 5 to 7 new experienced players who will help groom the young guns. All I said is that we don't need 12 to 15 players. I would much rather have quality over quantity. Specifically, I would like to see us take advantges of the loan market, hand out new long term contracts to the likes of Lenihan and so forth to ensure stability and a similar squad year on year, rather than drastic changes. I would look at signing David Wheater btw. 

7 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

It isn't really promoting half the youth. 

Raya, Lenihan, Nyambe have been around and in the first team the last 12 month. The new additions would be Wharton, Fisher, Tomlinson, Doyle...Hardly turning over trees and over promoting the youth. It gives the perfect balance to bring in 5 to 7 new experienced players who will help groom the young guns. All I said is that we don't need 12 to 15 players. I would much rather have quality over quantity. Specifically, I would like to see us take advantges of the loan market, hand out new long term contracts to the likes of Lenihan and so forth to ensure stability and a similar squad year on year, rather than drastic changes. I would look at signing David Wheater btw. 

:mellow:

Just now, Suhail Slayer said:

Exactly... we won't be bringing in 12-15 players don't worry about that.

6 incomings will be the maximum.... after we have sold 4 (not including Mahoney)

The rest are coming up from the development side.

i.e. 16 out in total. 6 in

So TM is, under orders from Pune, to be the squad size and wages Slayer, Suhail ;)

I remember when Lambert first came in, there were quite a few on the end of their contracts. Looked on the positive side of it, clean slate/he gets to bring in his team. Didn't quite transpire! This time I'm not going to be so positive unless we start getting some guts injected into the squad early on. As for Lowe I wish him well in his career. Wasn't his fault someone put that contract to him. Yes it was well over and above what it should of been but who wouldn't put pen to paper in the same situation. We might find that when he does find another club a cloud is lifted for the lad and he starts playing with a bit more freedom.

I am not worried about the squad size I grew up watching Wimbledon FC at Selhurst park. Their starting 11 pretty always picked itself with an a couple of typical reliable squad players making up the the squad of 18 with 7 to 8 developmental players around the 1st team squad and that is a system I much rather see and enjoy. I would rather see Ward go if it meant Wharton would have a chance to learn around the squad. I would rather see Stokes go and see what Mansell can learn off Graham. At the moment our experienced players are Mulgrew, Williams, Conway, Feeney, Bennett, Graham, Ward, Steele, Stokes, I think 5 new faces to the quality of Whittingham and Mackay Steven is exactly what we need with a star striker and a ball winner as well. 

15 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Some pretty daft posts on here about Lowe. The lad's been a constant first choice pick for 6 years. Every manager - and there's been a few - in that time has put him at the heart of the team. To blame him for our demise when the club has been ripped apart by the owners is clearly nonsensical . I hope he gets a good move - he deserves it if only to get away from idiotic so-called supporters  . 

Can we say then that not one of the managers or their coaches employed at the time improved Jason Lowe as a footballer .

The video that Neal posted of confused Jason Lowe at Brentford says it all, from turning an attacking opportunity into a moving sideways then running the ball out of play summed up the three shots a season no hoper up that is Jason Lowe.

Then again he did have David Lowe coaching him.

1 hour ago, roverstdt said:

I am not worried about the squad size I grew up watching Wimbledon FC at Selhurst park. Their starting 11 pretty always picked itself with an a couple of typical reliable squad players making up the the squad of 18 with 7 to 8 developmental players around the 1st team squad and that is a system I much rather see and enjoy. I would rather see Ward go if it meant Wharton would have a chance to learn around the squad. I would rather see Stokes go and see what Mansell can learn off Graham. At the moment our experienced players are Mulgrew, Williams, Conway, Feeney, Bennett, Graham, Ward, Steele, Stokes, I think 5 new faces to the quality of Whittingham and Mackay Steven is exactly what we need with a star striker and a ball winner as well. 

Not sure I'd rely on that experience too much. I would be very suprised if the bulk of the players you have mentioned end up staying. Agree with you about Wharton. I think Stokes could do a job for us in league 1. I know he had that court case last season but i still can't understand why he didn't even get on the bench at times. Looked alright in the u23. Anyway he owes us, would hate to see him move up to Scotland with us paying him off. I hope we sell Steele, would look forward to seeing Raya in goal when the season kicks off. Can't rely on Graham all season if he stays, would love to see Mansell move up but can't see it. 

18 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Some pretty daft posts on here about Lowe. The lad's been a constant first choice pick for 6 years. Every manager - and there's been a few - in that time has put him at the heart of the team. To blame him for our demise when the club has been ripped apart by the owners is clearly nonsensical . I hope he gets a good move - he deserves it if only to get away from idiotic so-called supporters  . 

And yet despite us selling two full squads worth of players over those 6 years, not one opposition Manager ever prised Lowe  away. Wonder why?

Just now, Dunnfc said:

150 k jackpot. Fair play to Mahoney best away from this shambles although I think he will personally turn out a Keith Tracey

I would be looking 500 k at worst.

I don't think he will be regular there and I expect him to be loan out by January.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Knew he was going but leaving for the club that stayed up on +2 goal difference instead of us feels like the knife'a being stuck in some what.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I would be looking 500 k at worst.

I don't think he will be regular there and I expect him to be loan out by January.

He's not our youth product and we only paid 50k three years ago for him from Stanley.

that means we get FA

Lowe, Henley, Akpan, Guthrie, Emnes, Gallagher, Hoban, Mahoney. Any guesses as to how much a week there is off the wage bill there? I'll guess £70,000 minimum.

I don't doubt for one minute that Venkys will sanction a number of incomings using that huge amount saved on the wage bill. They will probably sanction massive League One wages so long as they are less than those departing.

Whittingham would be an excellent start and a statement of intent, but it needs to be followed by another 7-8 of a similar ilk. 

The problem for Mowbray won't be getting the first 4-5 frees and loans through the door. It will be what happens after that when he needs more but the wage bill has been maxed out and they are refusing to sanction any cash buys. Then he will either have to sit tight and hope or start selling off assets to free up more wages. Either way it will be a disaster for promotion planning.

I hope I'm wrong and the 8-10 are sat on the car park at Brockhall in mid-July. 

Just now, donnermeat said:

Plus his lack of appearances for us.

I suppose yes because they factor that in. Wonder if Accy are owed a cut.

Nervous about Whittingham, how old is he, 32/33? Horrible Danny Murphy type feeling about this.

5 minutes ago, Tony Rover said:

Knew he was going but leaving for the club that stayed up on +2 goal difference instead of us feels like the knife'a being stuck in some what.

Exactly. What a strange and disappointing move. I say at the outset that if he has been offered a pitiful financial package by the club then so be it.

If however he has been offered a competitive and reasonable contract by us then his pending move particularly grates. He could have really become a cult hero for his hometown club and the one he supports. He is one of the few players who the fans sing his name. I saw him at Fleetwood in the EFL trophy last season and he was the best player on the pitch. He could make a real name for himself in this league. 

Mowbray was spot on with his interview - stay at your home town club, play every game and lead your club on a promotion charge.

i had no ill feeling towards Phil Jones (Rovers fan) when he left to go to Utd. Massive move for him and I think we all wished him well.

i actually hope Mahoneys career nosedives and he rots on the bench at forest. A team who barely stayed up!! I'm not one to boo ex players nor not wish them well. This is different though. 

I know it's easy to say this but when I was younger I dreamed of being the main player at Rovers and leading us on a promotion campaign. I wasn't good enough though! Mahoney is good enough and surely owed it to his town, his mates and fans to try and get us out of this division. He is only 20 and has 12/13 good years ahead of him. 50 games this season being nurtured by Mowbray would do him the world of good.

I know a family member of his used to frequent this forum (possibly dad or uncle) and it's dissapointing they haven't advised him to stay.

ps repeated caveat that all of the above is retracted if his contract offer is poor 

Wooah, why is everyone hating on Mahoney? 

We treated him like @#/? for however long he was here. Didn't send him on loan when he wanted. 

Probably offered him a rubbish wage. 

We are a league 1 football club, we aren't that premier league club we used to be. We are tiny and currently very tinpot. 

If any of you had worked at a company for 20 years and got offered a bigger wage at a bigger company you would take it. 

Don't be so bitter.

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Wooah, why is everyone hating on Mahoney? 

We treated him like @#/? for however long he was here. Didn't send him on loan when he wanted. 

Probably offered him a rubbish wage. 

We are a league 1 football club, we aren't that premier league club we used to be. We are tiny and currently very tinpot. 

If any of you had worked at a company for 20 years and got offered a bigger wage at a bigger company you would take it. 

Don't be so bitter.

Hi Connor

Archived