BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

32 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

The Stokes figures are correct, which is why getting him out to Hib's is a big ask, top earner at Hibs is on around 4k a week! So we'd have to front 10k a week for the next 2 years just for him to not play for us! I'm not sure Stokes is that wanted by Hibees fans either, he's had a lot of bad press in Scotland recently and aside from his heroic hunskelping in the scots cup final he's done sod all else of note since. 

Get him playing he has talent time for Mowbray to bully him into action if Mowbray has any balls !?

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DE. said:

In isolation bringing in one or two players like Smallwood isn't an issue, but when you make a habit of bringing in players from relegated clubs or players who are cast offs from clubs in the same division it only ends one way. If we continue on the same transfer course as the last couple of years we will soon be playing in League Two. Let's hope Mowbray can stop that from happening. 

Exactly how I see it. I'm not about to judge the likes of Smallwood already, but we can't continue down the route of solely signing freebies and loanees. It's a tried and trusted method of ending in disappointment and in our case, and many others, relegation. We need to be complimenting the likes of Whittingham and Smallwood with a few, sensible, actual transfers. Preferably with resale value.

17 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Exactly how I see it. I'm not about to judge the likes of Smallwood already, but we can't continue down the route of solely signing freebies and loanees. It's a tried and trusted method of ending in disappointment and in our case, and many others, relegation. We need to be complimenting the likes of Whittingham and Smallwood with a few, sensible, actual transfers. Preferably with resale value.

We shouldn't be worrying about resale value. We need players who can consistently perform on the pitch. If they do then Rovers will be successful, and the resale value will take care of itself.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Smallwood was not even deemed good enough for that pi$$ poor Rotherham side for half the season as well...so take what you will out of that.

Didnt he go to Scunthorpe who were in the automatic places with him in the team? They dropped off towards the end when he wasn't around. If he can help our team get into the automatic places in this season I couldnt care less if he can't make an impact in the Championship. His job is purely to get us up and out of this league.

• Moderation Lead

All this talk about Smallwood being in a relegated team from last season to me isn't relevant. He's had experience of promotion from this league and that's where we are playing.

I've never seen the bloke play, in any case, so it seems daft for me to try and assess how good he will be. Just got to wait and see. All we need to do right now is take one season at a time. Worry about players being good enough for the Championship if we get back there.

Just now, robbojohnno said:

Didnt he go to Scunthorpe who were in the automatic places with him in the team? They dropped off towards the end when he wasn't around. If he can help our team get into the automatic places in this season I couldnt care less if he can't make an impact in the Championship. His job is purely to get us up and out of this league.

If he can pass forwards and perhaps trap a ball he is an upgrade on Lowe...I will, of course, reserve judgement but on paper this hardly he hardly sets the pulse racing.

Just now, robbojohnno said:

Agreed, and he's a player obviously known to the manager, which is a far better motive for signing a player than has been the case for several other signings in recent years.

1 minute ago, robbojohnno said:

If he signs a 1 year deal which he won't so bear in mind the life cycle costing of this signing 

3 hours ago, Butty said:

Well he does strike me as an arrogant guy, he's just got one of them faces of a person who'd punch you for looking at him the wrong way (Like Elvis did) :lol: Shame really, if he got his head down this season he'd surely be able too score a few in League one because the lad does have ability which is the frustrating thing. <_<

Got his head down, you say?

24 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

All this talk about Smallwood being in a relegated team from last season to me isn't relevant. He's had experience of promotion from this league and that's where we are playing.

I've never seen the bloke play, in any case, so it seems daft for me to try and assess how good he will be. Just got to wait and see. All we need to do right now is take one season at a time. Worry about players being good enough for the Championship if we get back there.

Horses for courses. I think sometimes there is an element of arrogance from some Rovers fans who are struggling to see we are a League One side now and that is the market we have to recruit from. Aside from not being able to pay big wages now how would we recruit Championship standard players to Ewood? No player worth his salt would drop down unless decent money was on offer.

Had a look at what Rotherham fans think of Smallwood, to sum up ; -

He's a wholehearted grafter, with limited talent, even by League 1 standards.

The next transfer in after him, should tell us more about where we are going, surely even in this league we need better than that to mount

a promotion bid.

Just now, West Yorks Rover said:

The next transfer in after him, should tell us more about where we are going, surely even in this league we need better than that to mount

a promotion bid.

I had a quick look at him on YouTube. He's a former player of the season for them. Looks like someone who hassles the opposition and then lays the ball off or knocks it to the front man. He looks the kind of player who would just be consistent whether he's on a good surface or cow field because his control isn't that close.

Just now, arbitro said:

Horses for courses. I think sometimes there is an element of arrogance from some Rovers fans who are struggling to see we are a League One side now and that is the market we have to recruit from. Aside from not being able to pay big wages now how would we recruit Championship standard players to Ewood? No player worth his salt would drop down unless decent money was on offer.

Decent money plus long contracts is the only way that we have recruited fees, frees or out of contract players for years now.

Why else would they come. The attraction is an inflated contract.

7 minutes ago, West Yorks Rover said:

a promotion bid.

He played essentially every game in their promotion season didn't he? From what I've seen they are disappointed at losing him.

Just now, RV Blue said:

He played essentially every game in their promotion season didn't he? From what I've seen they are disappointed at losing him.

Fair enough, every team needs grafters, but we'll just have to hope they bring in enough talent to go with it.

As for disappointed to be losing him, maybe half and half on that one.

21 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Smallwood confirmed. 

Have we ever been this organised under the venkys regime? 

Looks like Mowbray getting what he wants.

I don't think we could have gone much lower, still no fees spent, still signings replacing players who were initially better. Though there is an argument potentially to suggests Whitts is reasonable.

not exactly organised at all, look around the place 

Just now, Dunnfc said:

I don't think we could have gone much lower, still no fees spent, still signings replacing players who were initially better. Though there is an argument potentially to suggests Whitts is reasonable.

not exactly organised at all, look around the place 

??

Archived