SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Jermaine Anderson would be a class signing for us. Not a rumour just a recommendation. 

Rejected a new deal other week at Pboro. Two knee ligament injuries in two years has limited appearances iwhilst apparently him and his agent demanded xyz. Good player on his day.

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Didn't realise that. Gutting so much potential.

Yeah not due back till November I think. My mate used to say he was a bit similar to an obviously less talented dele alli. 25 percent of games in 2 years, I wouldn't take the risk myself.

Unsure how reliable it is but Transfermarkt has Bostock value down as £1.7m.

If we spend anywhere near that for the WHOLE window never mind one player I'd be utterly amazed!

8 hours ago, RV Blue said:

I believe Bostock is more of a box to box midfielder than a no. 10, would have thought Mowbray will be hoping for Bostock and Dack or Otzumer.

I think so too.Not much chance of us getting Bostock if St Etienne and Brum are in.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am not faulting TM as he prepares for disappointment “I am talking to a club about a deal but as with all deals, the selling club want loads of money and you’re trying to get them for the best deal possible"

"Well we tried" comes later.

Why are you all so cynical? It's not like the fans have been lied to & ignored, and the squad decimated by lack of funding.

Oh hang on a minute...

It's absolutely vital we invest in youngish players this  summer that can form the basis of a squad so we're not going through this 'hand to mouth' BS every summer, scrabbling round for players just so we have a team. Hopefully Mowbray has told the owners that, they've listened for once, and they won't renege on their promises now Mowbray is back in Blighty.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Why are you all so cynical? It's not like the fans have been lied to & ignored, and the squad decimated by lack of funding.

Oh hang on a minute...

It's absolutely vital we invest in youngish players this  summer that can form the basis of a squad so we're not going through this 'hand to mouth' BS every summer, scrabbling round for players just so we have a team. Hopefully Mowbray has told the owners that, they've listened for once, and they won't renege on their promises now Mowbray is back in Blighty.

You would think that investing some cash in some younger players would appeal to Venkys anyway. If the scouting etc. is all done well and you invest some money, time and patience, surely you'd be looking to make a reasonable profit on these players in a few seasons?

If that's all they care about (making cash) then there's an option, what they are doing at the minute (nothing) just costs them more in the long run. 

Just now, davulsukur said:

You would think that investing some cash in some younger players would appeal to Venkys anyway. If the scouting etc. is all done well and you invest some money, time and patience, surely you'd be looking to make a reasonable profit on these players in a few seasons?

If that's all they care about (making cash) then there's an option, what they are doing at the minute (nothing) just costs them more in the long run. 

Only way they make cash is promotion

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

People will still find a negative in us spending money. What a joke.

I seem to keep repeating this fact recently, so sorry to be so repetitive, but it appears it needs to be clarified once more- we've spent £300,000 on transfers in the last few years and recouped £30 Million via sales of players.

As much as I'd love to be proven wrong, Venky's haven't exactly been throwing money around on our first team recently, have they? So, I'm not sure why people think all of a sudden they will do a complete 180 and sufficiently fund a 'promotion push'.

Even if they DID fund the squad adequately, don't we all think that's all the more infuriating as, if that had been done in January, we'd arguably have been in a better position to still be in the Championship?

If they do, then great, but people aren't being negative for the sake of it, like anything in life, in order to predict the future, they base their predictions on past and recent behaviour and actions. Hence, why a lot of people don't expect the first team to get anywhere near the funding it needs.

I like to think it goes without saying that I'd love us to get 100 points and have a great season, but in case it doesn't, I'd love nothing more!

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Supporters consultation meeting cheston said he had too last summer. Given we signed Williams for 200 k and needed cash six million from Venkys in April, he was either lying, making 50k bids, or just as we know can't cash flow and add up properly.

Clubs with ambition and money to spend don't need to go into the local paper to tell everyone that they have made cash bids for players. They just get on with it in private, pay the going rate, recruit well, assemble a quality squad and then get the credit for it down the line when the results come.

The fact that Mowbray, like Paul Senior before him, has felt the need to go to the club's mouthpiece at the Telegraph and tell people bids have been made but that for whatever reason they haven't come to anything as yet, is so predictable. It tells me the club are worried about season ticket sales approaching the final week before the early bird deadline and feel that telling fans about money to spend rather than just getting on and doing it is going to encourage more to commit to next season.

I'm not calling Mowbray a liar. I suspect he has made bids for people. The question is whether those bids are remotely acceptable or just time wasting amounts. Offers were made to people like Marshall and Mahoney, allegedly, yet they were so derisory that the players went elsewhere.

Paul Senior was adamant that there was money to be spent in January and that bids were made. Where did that get us again? Lucas Joao on loan.

Would anyone really be surprised if a single penny wasn't spent this summer and then Mowbray/Cheston tell us in September that it wasn't for a lack of trying but value for money couldn't be reached? I expect the big excuse will be that League One clubs are holding us to ransom as they expect Rovers to pay more than the going rate.

I'd love to be proved wrong and hope I am, but this seems very familiar to windows past.

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

People will still find a negative in us spending money. What a joke.

The facts of the summer so far:

1) We've released 12 first team players who between them were taking in the region of £100k a week out of the club

2) We've signed 2 free agents who between them are probably earning about £15k a week

3) The club has therefore managed to shave off about £4 million from the payroll without lifting a finger

4) We're therefore 10 players down on the relegated squad of last season

5) The manager is talking about spending money but it hasn't happened yet. Sounds familiar.

6) The sales are yet to begin. No serious rumours linking any of our players with moves away yet.

That isn't being negative. That is reality. Hopefully it changes.

Archived