BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

You intermittently talk about transfers - rest of the time you're settling personal scores or blowing your own trumpet about your football manager knowledge.

In the transfer thread I talk Transfers and fitting them into the tactics that the manager will used not just signing players without a plan. 

No personal scores need settling.cos I dont care about them. 

Yes I have alot football knowledge due to watching games either in the stadium or on tv. Yes I play football manager but its game at end of the day. alot of fans play the game. 

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Coventry owners cut the budget by 50% I am led to believe the season aftet they finished 8th. I have copy that link for that season and the signings. Have a look mate. 

Mowbray has a really proper recruitment plan with players signed to fit the tactics and style. Coyle never did last season

They cut after he failed to get them up you can only go on so long before you cut your cloth accordingly making top 2 finish this season the minimum.

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I admit plenty of times before what Venkys over 7 years has been shocking and wrong but none of it can be undone. I dont keep going on about cos I cant change it or use a time machine to go back and change it sadly(wish I could). 

So what can be done? For me, support the manager/head coach what his title is, the players we got plus the signings we make. My season ticket was renewed. 

Yes some fans will never be happy about some signings. Never mention the owners at all. Its the transfer thread so I talk transfers

Do you not see the owners and signings are interlinked. People are cautious because they know the owners impact the signings and budget etc. You cannot separate them out not least because the owners set the budget, say who gets sold, as well as pulling a ton of other tricks to undermine the manager.

Also again you have a dig at fans - they'll never be happy. WHY SHOULD THEY - VENKYS HAVE TURNED A PREM CLUB INTO A LEAGUE 1 CLUB WHAT IS THERE TO BE HAPPY ABOUT???

Look I get what you're saying about things being a bit better under TM but it's a bit like having a very serious illness but not having as much pain one day. Sure it's better to have less pain but it's not a good situation nor one to be happy about. So maybe less digs at fans unhappiness eh?

9 hours ago, TBTF said:

And didn't quite make it out of Gillingham. Meantime money bags Rovers nip and get him on the cheap from under the noses of the big boys and he remains in league one . Yawn yawn.

Seriously some of the posters on here at present, you'd genuinely get a more balanced view on a Burnley fan site, it is unreal to read.  People genuinely appearing to be just willing us to fail so they can say I told you so.  Fully accept people being pessimistic, but this is way beyond that.  

I'd also prefer Venky's to fund us last season and keep us up, there's one slight flaw in that plan however, I'll leave you to work it out.

Not having a go at you specifically,  there is plenty of others, and similarly I can imagine the way too optimistic folk are tedious to some.  However there are appears genuine glee in some posts just waiting to knock down every signing it is bizarre, I read some to mates at work who support other clubs and they laugh at how bad and negative they are.

Healthy scepticism I get, but this is way beyond that, we need to assemble a decent league one squad to get out of this league, Dack would be a positive on that from anyone who has watched League one, simple as that, as are the others brought in so far.

Fully get the doubters but for me the moment Mowbray heard enough to convince him it was worth staying on convinced me we'd have a chance this season, no guarantee's but a real chance.  The only comparison to past years is we've heard similar from the Venky's.  However we've never had a proper manager, in my view given the backing and control that he appears to have.

By all means if we're bottom 4 in 6 months and Mowbray has been replaced 3 times you can gloat all day but surely you've got to let him prove you wrong?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

In the transfer thread I talk Transfers and fitting them into the tactics that the manager will used not just signing players without a plan. 

No personal scores need settling.cos I dont care about them. 

Yes I have alot football knowledge due to watching games either in the stadium or on tv. Yes I play football manager but its game at end of the day. alot of fans play the game. 

Ian Wright has a lifetime experience in football and listening to him discuss it on MOTD is mind numbing. The amount of football you watch certainly doesn't equate to useful knowledge. Besides, anyone with genuine knowledge doesn't have to keep reminding everybody of it, especially when he's challenged on that knowledge.

You are a copy and paste merchant who gets annoyed when others copy and paste. Most of what you say is just reiterated on whatever page comes up first on google. Just feel this has to be said because I can't be the only one getting bored with your "I'm knowledgable" crusade when it's clear to see you don't have a clue.

Just now, Manchester Blue said:

Seriously some of the posters on here at present, you'd genuinely get a more balanced view on a Burnley fan site, it is unreal to read.  People genuinely appearing to be just willing us to fail so they can say I told you so.  Fully accept people being pessimistic, but this is way beyond that.  

I'd also prefer Venky's to fund us last season and keep us up, there's one slight flaw in that plan however, I'll leave you to work it out.

Not having a go at you specifically,  there is plenty of others, and similarly I can imagine the way too optimistic folk are tedious to some.  However there are appears genuine glee in some posts just waiting to knock down every signing it is bizarre, I read some to mates at work who support other clubs and they laugh at how bad and negative they are.

Healthy scepticism I get, but this is way beyond that, we need to assemble a decent league one squad to get out of this league, Dack would be a positive on that from anyone who has watched League one, simple as that, as are the others brought in so far.

Fully get the doubters but for me the moment Mowbray heard enough to convince him it was worth staying on convinced me we'd have a chance this season, no guarantee's but a real chance.  The only comparison to past years is we've heard similar from the Venky's.  However we've never had a proper manager, in my view given the backing and control that he appears to have.

By all means if we're bottom 4 in 6 months and Mowbray has been replaced 3 times you can gloat all day but surely you've got to let him prove you wrong?

Venky-lover:)

I don't get the view by some that this is something new for Venkys. Some people seem to be suggesting that this is the first time in 7 years that we have a manager who has a plan and Venkys are allowing him to get on with it by sanctioning a few signings. So far it doesn't really look any different to me than this time last year under Coyle or January 16 under Lambert. Both those managers were allowed to bring in some signings early on in their tenures and some Rovers fans were hailing the work done, yet these owners managed to wreck it all by selling prized assets later on in the window.

For crying out loud, they've just released 12 players and we've signed 2. If they didn't allow Mowbray to bring in some new signings then we'd be struggling to even have a pre-season such is the shortage in personnel after their latest round of wage slashing. I accept that most of those that have gone weren't good enough and aren't a reason to lose sleep over, but the fact remains that we've released double figures all on considerable wages. If they carry on as they are and reach Mowbray's target of 7-8 WITHOUT selling anyone, the wage bill will still be significantly less than last season, so Venkys will be happy.

I don't believe they've learned lessons or that really anything has changed other than our budget in this division gets you a lot further than it does in the Championship. They've ended up with a better manager than the last one because Paul Senior brought him in and Mowbray isn't as impatient/demanding as Lambert was. To me its the same as with all the other managers. Give him his budget in May/June, tell him to go away and run things for 12 months on his own. Bowyer was the same until the plan changed. Lambert would have been the same had he not been as impatient. Coyle would have been the same had Pasha not appointed Senior who managed to persuade them to make a change early. Now we're back to the old way of the manager doing everything on his own, which is wonderful when we've no games and he's signing players, not so wonderful if we start losing games and selling players.

Time will tell but I'm frankly astonished some people really believe that things have changed after all that has gone on here.

Ian Wright has a lifetime experience in football and listening to him discuss it on MOTD is mind numbing. The amount of football you watch certainly doesn't equate to useful knowledge. Besides, anyone with genuine knowledge doesn't have to keep reminding everybody of it, especially when he's challenged on that knowledge.

You are a copy and paste merchant who gets annoyed when others copy and paste. Most of what you say is just reiterated on whatever page comes up first on google. Just feel this has to be said because I can't be the only one getting bored with your "I'm knowledgable" crusade when it's clear to see you don't have a clue.

I don't have an issue with anyone discussing transfers on a transfer page but it's saying things like, he's buying players to suit the style he's going to play. How the heck does any of us know what style or tactics he wants to play? He might have done one thing last season trying to win enough games to survive but have a completely different idea of what he needs to get out of league 1. We don't know but Chaddy always talks as though he is the managers best buddy knowing everything that goes on in his head. I've watched a lot of football too but I wouldn't presume to talk tactics with people on here let alone try to second guess our manager

Just now, Dunnfc said:

They cut after he failed to get them up you can only go on so long before you cut your cloth accordingly making top 2 finish this season the minimum.

Yes the top 2 this season is the target this season. Pleases with Mowbray's signings so far in Whittingham, Smallwood and Dack(if he signs)

Just now, Blue blood said:

Do you not see the owners and signings are interlinked. People are cautious because they know the owners impact the signings and budget etc. You cannot separate them out not least because the owners set the budget, say who gets sold, as well as pulling a ton of other tricks to undermine the manager.

Also again you have a dig at fans - they'll never be happy. WHY SHOULD THEY - VENKYS HAVE TURNED A PREM CLUB INTO A LEAGUE 1 CLUB WHAT IS THERE TO BE HAPPY ABOUT???

Look I get what you're saying about things being a bit better under TM but it's a bit like having a very serious illness but not having as much pain one day. Sure it's better to have less pain but it's not a good situation nor one to be happy about. So maybe less digs at fans unhappiness eh?

Yes they are linked of course but Don't Venkys let the manager get on with it like they did with Bowyer and seem to be doing with Mowbray at the minute.

Nobody is happy about being a league 1 club but that's where we are now. I could moan and whinge about every single day but it aint going to change owt is it?

Mowbray staying is the positive and I happy with the Whittingham signing cos of his passing, set pieces, assists and goals he gets will be a major asset to the team. Smallwood I don't know a lot about but from I have read and look up he is ball winning midfielder with experience of getting promotion from this league.

why would I have to listen to Ian Wright on MOTD tbh? I watch the highlights and fast forward through the chat unless its Alan Shearer. But I started watching the highlights on Sky Sports instead cos they are 30 mins long and get to see more of the games

I bored of reading personal digs towards people instead of talking transfers, some people rather focus on the person than the things he has posted about transfers or possible signings

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I bored of reading personal digs towards people instead of talking transfers, some people rather focus on the person than the things he has posted about transfers or possible signings

*rubs eyes. looks again. nope, he really wrote it*

Just now, gumboots said:

I don't have an issue with anyone discussing transfers on a transfer page but it's saying things like, he's buying players to suit the style he's going to play. How the heck does any of us know what style or tactics he wants to play? He might have done one thing last season trying to win enough games to survive but have a completely different idea of what he needs to get out of league 1. We don't know but Chaddy always talks as though he is the managers best buddy knowing everything that goes on in his head. I've watched a lot of football too but I wouldn't presume to talk tactics with people on here let alone try to second guess our manager

Mowbray has already said he wants to play attacking passing football. Last season Mowbray played a much more defensively style of play last 7 games to get results last season. This season he has told the LT he wants play attacking passing football. Now look at his signings(or potential signings) so far, Whittingham and Smallwood signed. One a midfield playmaker and one is ball winning midfielder, Dack supposedly on his way who is goal scoring number 10 player. Gladwin who is a midfielder/number 10 player who performed at this level when at Swindon before his move to QPR. Plus look at Mowbray comments yesterday on the official website about him still wanting to sign players and he mention Centre midfielder, Winger, number 10 and strikers. with him mention these positions indicant to me that he will look to use 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 formation as plan A. Mowbray has also spoken about maybe having to play different way when its a wet and windy Tuesday night away from home, so sometimes he play 4-4-2 or 3-4-2-1 at times. But its good to see a Mowbray having plan A and B after watching Coyle last season playing different formations but look like no work on Training field had taking place regarding tactics and defensively work

I follow the John Lydon football philosophy and it makes for exciting football and you don't have to pretend to understand formation bullshyte invented by coaches to keep them and their pals in jobs.

Plus you don't even have to know wtf football manager is let alone buy the crap.

Just now, JHRover said:

I don't get the view by some that this is something new for Venkys. Some people seem to be suggesting that this is the first time in 7 years that we have a manager who has a plan and Venkys are allowing him to get on with it by sanctioning a few signings. So far it doesn't really look any different to me than this time last year under Coyle or January 16 under Lambert. Both those managers were allowed to bring in some signings early on in their tenures and some Rovers fans were hailing the work done, yet these owners managed to wreck it all by selling prized assets later on in the window.

For crying out loud, they've just released 12 players and we've signed 2. If they didn't allow Mowbray to bring in some new signings then we'd be struggling to even have a pre-season such is the shortage in personnel after their latest round of wage slashing. I accept that most of those that have gone weren't good enough and aren't a reason to lose sleep over, but the fact remains that we've released double figures all on considerable wages. If they carry on as they are and reach Mowbray's target of 7-8 WITHOUT selling anyone, the wage bill will still be significantly less than last season, so Venkys will be happy.

I don't believe they've learned lessons or that really anything has changed other than our budget in this division gets you a lot further than it does in the Championship. They've ended up with a better manager than the last one because Paul Senior brought him in and Mowbray isn't as impatient/demanding as Lambert was. To me its the same as with all the other managers. Give him his budget in May/June, tell him to go away and run things for 12 months on his own. Bowyer was the same until the plan changed. Lambert would have been the same had he not been as impatient. Coyle would have been the same had Pasha not appointed Senior who managed to persuade them to make a change early. Now we're back to the old way of the manager doing everything on his own, which is wonderful when we've no games and he's signing players, not so wonderful if we start losing games and selling players.

Time will tell but I'm frankly astonished some people really believe that things have changed after all that has gone on here.

Things definitely haven't changed. This is apparent by the fact there's been 0 talk of players leaving us, despite us being relegated. This implies either players are on astronomical wages or Venkys are planning on a late clear out to avoid giving TM time to replace/spend the money made.

However, the signings this year are a lot more astute than they have been in previous years. Smallwood has a promotion, Whittingham is a leader and Dack is proven in this league. Compare this with Jack Byrne (a relative unknown with a good youtube promo), Stephen Hendrie and Anthony Stokes. The signings this year have a lot more relative use than last year.#

Venkys will never change that much is true. It is refreshing to see a more professional approach these days. There seems a sense of normality about how Rovers are conducting their business this summer. Rather than 5 or 6 arrive almost instantly, with no warning, we are seeing prolonged interest culminating in bids made, speculation and then ultimately landing our target. Somethings just seems a lot more 'football-like' under TM and long may that continue.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Just got a text of a long time mate who I asked about Gladwin.

Quote: "I would not say that he is an atrocious donkey. He's not that good. Please take him"

If we sign this guy, it will be the first signing we make this summer that I'll be completely unimpressed with.

His career history shows him having a lot of non-league clubs and then failing at QPR and being farmed out on loan twice to Swindon.

Things definitely haven't changed. This is apparent by the fact there's been 0 talk of players leaving us, despite us being relegated. This implies either players are on astronomical wages or Venkys are planning on a late clear out to avoid giving TM time to replace/spend the money made.

However, the signings this year are a lot more astute than they have been in previous years. Smallwood has a promotion, Whittingham is a leader and Dack is proven in this league. Compare this with Jack Byrne (a relative unknown with a good youtube promo), Stephen Hendrie and Anthony Stokes. The signings this year have a lot more relative use than last year.#

Venkys will never change that much is true. It is refreshing to see a more professional approach these days. There seems a sense of normality about how Rovers are conducting their business this summer. Rather than 5 or 6 arrive almost instantly, with no warning, we are seeing prolonged interest culminating in bids made, speculation and then ultimately landing our target. Somethings just seems a lot more 'football-like' under TM and long may that continue.

Or because Mowbray said we don't need to sell?? 

Just now, davulsukur said:

If we sign this guy, it will be the first signing we make this summer that I'll be completely unimpressed with.

His career history shows him having a lot of non-league clubs and then failing at QPR and being farmed out on loan twice to Swindon.

He will definitely have a point to prove. Not the most promising on paper, but i will give him a chance 

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Oh man you're in bother now 

Just now, Tom said:

By the way Chris Neville has left the club he's just announced 

Says it's been an honour. 

Says all good things come to an end.

Says he thanks his friends and colleagues.

Says he's looking forward to developing new and exciting challenges.

Says he's sure the club will move forward and challenge for promotion.

Archived