SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wasn't Roberts the one who played upfront with Bennie the season he got 24 Premier league goals? That wasn't a coincidence 

Sam smart enough to realise McCarthy needed a battering ram to do the dirty work too, when he put samba alongside him. Benni's form improved dramatically and it saved us.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Howe at little Bournemouth that PREMIER LEAGUE club will make Mahoney a player. Great move.

No great financial outlay by Bournemouth with their PREMIER LEAGUE income so a no brainer for them.

You a Bournemouth fan? :lol: or a Dingle? <_<

11 minutes ago, Pedro said:

We need a battering ram with pace. A Jason Roberts style player - another who's hard work went largely unnoticed by a lot of the Ewood faithful because his finishing wasn't great.

Roberts got so much stick around me but he was an absolute work horse, same happened with Roque season after and even Big Sam got a tune from Roberts.

He didn't half miss some sitters though... I seem to remember thinking, if he had time to think, he'd miss it! 

Just now, Biz said:

Roberts got so much stick around me but he was an absolute work horse, same happened with Roque season after and even Big Sam got a tune from Roberts.

He didn't half miss some sitters though... I seem to remember thinking, if he had time to think, he'd miss it! 

He got merciless stick for 'missing' one at middlesboro I remember, last minute of an fa cup tie. It was very unfair. The ball bobbled off his shin.

51 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think a big bruiser would compliment what we already have upfront. Sometimes we are going to need to get the job done in a more direct way. I expect our forwards to get a lot of chances next season and this guy did finish top scorer in hos division, so he must have a bit about him. 

Another kuqi type for the flick ons & the menace factor difficult to find.

Just now, Biz said:

I totally agree. I used to say to my mates, he's three quarters a great player. The missing quarter was his finishing. 

I really liked him though and He'd be a nightmare to play against because he really did use his strength. I'm glad other people appreciate that kind of player ?. One of the things I loved about Rovers was that we weren't the best but we'd unearth some hardworkers, misfits and the occasional class act.

I pray this relegation is us finally resetting ourselves and putting proper foundations in place. It's not ideal I know but we deserve some good times and for me, there is method behind the signings made and the targets mentioned.

Just now, Biz said:

Ill always remember the sitter he missed from a few yards out on an open goal in big sams second game in charge i think, vs sunderland which ended 0-0.

just an appalling miss. 

3 hours ago, Manchester Blue said:

Well the flaw is unless someone has a time machine handy then it's all in the past and therefore pointless to say I'd rather Venky's fund us last season instead of this one.

So no flaw at all then. Lets all just 'move on'.

It's funny when you listen to people who just want to be positive, optimistic, move on, look to the future not the past: they are all putting their faith in the crackpot owners who took us to where we are and remain here - unapologetic, unrepentant.

But, let's be positive and assume that Venkys have turned a corner (again); that they are no longer listening to bad advice (again); that the use of SEM clients is a thing of the past (again); that they are backing their choice for manager (again). Just for a second, let's move on...

So let's say they buy some decent players on decent wages and we make a charge up the table. Let's say we even get promoted. Well, we are back in the same place (the Championship - of the future, not the past) that they deemed it not worthwhile finding a way to stay in last season.

When they get us back, how will they not find themselves in exactly the same predicament? Still the only club "prevented by FFP" from investing further, possibly even prevented from paying their League One wage bill because of the different rules (unless the players have promotion clauses to reduce their wages to ensure FFP compliance :unsure::wacko:). What actually changes? Will they find ways to circumnavigate FFP rules that they didn't think of, or couldn't be bothered to do, last season? The past is the best way to learn for the future. It may be the past to you now but in reality we are going to have to give them another go at it.

But, still, this argument ignores the reality that we have massively reduced the wage bill and are now putting together one or two replacements, with lower quality/experience/ambition - and some fans are lapping it up. Good old Venkys!

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist - Verbal Kint (The Usual Suspects, 1995). Well, actually the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to destroy a football club, take the @#/? out of the fans, drag them through hell, avoid any heat from the authorities (because they chose the most poorly regulated multi billion pound industry in the world), and all the while telling them that they care about the club and remain committed to its future success, and somehow convince the fans into believing them at every point (even to shout down non-believers), whilst delivering abject failure and a miserable matchday experience. (Venkys, 2010-2017)

Just now, JayPeeBee40 said:

He got merciless stick for 'missing' one at middlesboro I remember, last minute of an fa cup tie. It was very unfair. The ball bobbled off his shin.

The "Jason Roberts finishing masterclass" was golden haha!

Just now, watford-rover said:

Ill always remember the sitter he missed from a few yards out on an open goal in big sams second game in charge i think, vs sunderland which ended 0-0.

just an appalling miss. 

I couldn't remember who it was against, brain isn't what it was, and it was never much..! Thanks for confirming that as I remembered it's goryness! 

Just now, watford-rover said:

just an appalling miss. 

That's the one I meant. It bobbled onto his shin ffs..

16 minutes ago, LewisF said:

Appleton was here for a couple of months, whereas Bowyer had years to find an effective role for King

Think some are forgetting King was constantly injured, poor when played and nothing like what you see at Bournemouth. We had Gestede and Rhodes ahead of him. He's another like Mahoney, Duffy,  Marshall, Hoilett and co whom were made offers either to late or just derisory.

8 minutes ago, Biz said:

United at home in Vogels debut, Roberts bullied vidic and Ferdinand all day. 

Issue is if he had to think he'd miss and scuff it, not thinking he scored. Leverkusen miss sticks in my mind if I remember rightly and also his Chelsea equaliser two moments in football we are unlikely to ever see again.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Think some are forgetting King was constantly injured, poor when played and nothing like what you see at Bournemouth. We had Gestede and Rhodes ahead of him. He's another like Mahoney, Duffy,  Marshall, Hoilett and co whom were made offers either to late or just derisory.

Not denying those facts, but still during the time he was fit (which was admittedly not too often) he was criminally underused imo. Performance against Stoke in the FA Cup showed what he could do 

Just now, Dunnfc said:

United at home in Vogels debut, Roberts bullied vidic and Ferdinand all day. 

Issue is if he had to think he'd miss and scuff it, not thinking he scored. Leverkusen miss sticks in my mind if I remember rightly and also his Chelsea equaliser two moments in football we are unlikely to ever see again.

Pedersens missed header in that game (Chelsea at OT) will make me cringe till the day I die! 

Just now, LewisF said:

Not denying those facts, but still during the time he was fit (which was admittedly not too often) he was criminally underused imo. Performance against Stoke in the FA Cup showed what he could do 

True but by that time he was leaving any ways. I'm pleased for him.

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

?..I thought it was just an awful miss

He should have buried it but cech gets the touch to flick onto the bar is my best memory of it without looking for it.

Said last year before he signed in January for Wigan about Omar Bogle, he's very much a good Jason Roberts in the making. He will be top scorer this season. Wonder how much they'd take for him!

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

?..I thought it was just an awful miss

Just now, Dunnfc said:

He should have buried it but cech gets the touch to flick onto the bar is my best memory of it without looking for it.

Said last year before he signed in January for Wigan about Omar Bogle, he's very much a good Jason Roberts in the making. He will be top scorer this season. Wonder how much they'd take for him!

both correct - makes a good save at 1-0 then the miss is at 1-1. Roberts first goal for rovers also... 10 years ago! 

Archived