SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dunnfc said:

He should have buried it but cech gets the touch to flick onto the bar is my best memory of it without looking for it.

Said last year before he signed in January for Wigan about Omar Bogle, he's very much a good Jason Roberts in the making. He will be top scorer this season. Wonder how much they'd take for him!

No, if it's the semi-final we are talking about he was unmarked at back post and headed straight onto it. 

Gutting

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

We need a battering ram with pace. A Jason Roberts style player - another who's hard work went largely unnoticed by a lot of the Ewood faithful because his finishing wasn't great.

Whilst we are at it..a David Thompson in midfield too. What a cracking little player he was and he would have been effective in any of the English leagues.

Liked Thopmson, too bad about the knees crackin little player.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I was quite high up side of the pitch perfect view.

I will never know how MGP missed that open goal. Haunts me.

I was up in the air celebrating. Can still see it now. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

I was up in the air celebrating. Can still see it now. 

Me too with my two eldest boys. Five other family were behind the goal.

Travelled back into the centre on a train with lots of Chelsea, all said that they had been lucky and also thought MGP had scored..

Just now, Biz said:

both correct - makes a good save at 1-0 then the miss is at 1-1. Roberts first goal for rovers also... 10 years ago! 

Thanks for posting. This is first time I have watched match highlights of the game as I always avoided them.

I had forgotten the other good attempts that we had so I'm glad I watched.

Also it looks like Roberts actually meant to score! From where I was seated I thought it had just hit him and deflected in!

That was a superb performance against Chelsea, second half especially.

Thinking about it, three excellent performances in the brilliant 2000-2010 decade actually resulted in defeat - Celtic away in the Uefa Cup, Spurs at the back end of 05/06 (lost 3-2, Bellamy season) and then the FA Cup semi v Chelsea. If we'd have got the results our play deserved we could have been looking at a good European run in 02/03, Champions League qualification in 05/06 and an FA Cup final in 06/07.....

43 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist - Verbal Kint (The Usual Suspects, 1995). Well, actually the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to destroy a football club, take the @#/? out of the fans, drag them through hell, avoid any heat from the authorities (because they chose the most poorly regulated multi billion pound industry in the world), and all the while telling them that they care about the club and remain committed to its future success, and somehow convince the fans into believing them at every point (even to shout down non-believers), whilst delivering abject failure and a miserable matchday experience. (Venkys, 2010-2017)

French poet Baudelaire "The Generous Gambler" 1864

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Thanks for posting. This is first time I have watched match highlights of the game as I always avoided them.

I had forgotten the other good attempts that we had so I'm glad I watched.

Also it looks like Roberts actually meant to score! From where I was seated I thought it had just hit him and deflected in!

Was about 11 on this game, couldn't believe the atmosphere we created that day. Absolutely out-sung Chelski from start to finish and should have won the game. Other than the result one of  the best atmosphere's I've experience. Me and me brother started singing "we love you rovers we do" and a few blokes joined in and before you know it the whole crowd was singing it. I've remembered that ever since and I'll never forget it! Those sort of memories Venkys can't destroy. 

42 minutes ago, LewisF said:

Not denying those facts, but still during the time he was fit (which was admittedly not too often) he was criminally underused imo. Performance against Stoke in the FA Cup showed what he could do 

When he could be bothered, was awful most of the time for us due to attitude imo, Bowyer must take some flak for this for not motivating him properly. 

Anyone remember his performance against watford away when we lost 4-0, shocking and couldn't be bothered. but then again against bournemouth away when best scored he tore them a new one all afternoon. 

Quite often when i saw him play his first touch was shocking and his second touch was either a throw in or a goal kick. 

Just now, JayPeeBee40 said:

King gets more time on the ball in the premier league, along with more space created by the superior players who are now his team mates..

Right or wrong..?

yes and no. whilst he obviously has a better team around him, he seems to pull his finger out more nowadays and work harder. he used to just stand there waiting for the ball and not look to get into space or make runs when i saw him for rovers.

Just now, watford-rover said:

yes and no. whilst he obviously has a better team around him, he seems to pull his finger out more nowadays and work harder. he used to just stand there waiting for the ball and not look to get into space or make runs when i saw him for rovers.

In other words, he's more up for it playing at prem league level.

5 hours ago, neophox said:

Mowbray happy to keep players but Feeney and Steele can leave. Also think Mulgrew got interest but High wages and likes Rovers.

I always said that Steele and Feeney will leave

4 hours ago, davulsukur said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/june/magloire-signs-pro-deal/

Another Academy graduate signs a pro deal.

Played in pre-season a little bit for the first team last year. See how he gets on.

Anyone know if he's anygood? Parson?

spotted him at Ewood Park when I was down there buying the new shirt, He seems very happy today and was there with his family

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Latest twitter rumour 

BREAKING NEWS: Blackburn Rovers have made a bid to sign 27 year old Barnet striker John Akinde. Fee believed to be around £600,000. #BRFC

Yes Jamie McConnell mention that this bid had gone in for him shortly after an article on Football league world mention we should go for him.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Conor Mahoney apparently off to Bournemouth - well done him, surprised he's got straight to the premier league though 

If he goes there, I think he will be making a huge mistake. The lad needs to play and develop and he aint going to do that at Bournemouth. Big mistake if he goes there

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

We need a battering ram with pace. A Jason Roberts style player - another who's hard work went largely unnoticed by a lot of the Ewood faithful because his finishing wasn't great.

Whilst we are at it..a David Thompson in midfield too. What a cracking little player he was and he would have been effective in any of the English leagues.

Dunnfc has mention this before we need a Jason Roberts type of striker

Just now, JayPeeBee40 said:

In other words, he's more up for it playing at prem league level.

Which is pretty much what i put in my other post, like the FA cup against stoke, Knew it was on telly and his deal was nearly up. Pulled his finger out and showed what he could do to get a decent move away and it worked. not blaming him I wouldnt like playing 4th fiddle behind chris brown but if he actually tried would he have been down the pecking order. 

Just now, watford-rover said:

Which is pretty much what i put in my other post, like the FA cup against stoke, Knew it was on telly and his deal was nearly up. Pulled his finger out and showed what he could do to get a decent move away and it worked. not blaming him I wouldnt like playing 4th fiddle behind chris brown but if he actually tried would he have been down the pecking order. 

I'll never understand footballers who don't give their all in any circumstance. I gave my all at 7 a side every week for nothing! ;)

• Backroom

Agree about signing an ugly striker but not sure it would work with Graham.

When I used to play for Langho I was rubbish but I was fast enough, one season had a big lad up front with me who won everything in the air and bullied defenders, that season I scored about 20 just from the sheer amount of space and chances that bloke created.

Just now, Tom said:

When I used to play for Langho I was rubbish but I was fast enough, one season had a big lad up front with me who won everything in the air and bullied defenders, that season I scored about 20 just from the sheer amount of space and chances that bloke created.

Kenny was certainly a fan of the battering ram and goalscorer approach, with Newell/Speedie, Newell/Shearer and Sutton/Shearer.. Even after Kenny went Sutton/Gallacher worked well too..

Just now, Tom said:

Hi Tom, what are you doing from say... 4 weeks time until the middle of April next year? 

• Backroom
Just now, J*B said:

Hi Tom, what are you doing from say... 4 weeks time until the middle of April next year? 

Mainly making brilliant message board posts and having twitter meltdowns 

Just now, Tom said:

sometimes during the season we are going to needed a Jason Roberts type striker. He could replace Graham after 60 mins or so. we need Graham wont play every minute of the season

Archived