BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

still 9 weeks of the transfer window left yet. no need tom panic just yet

No need too panic yet you tweet the same Journalists EVERYDAY asking for updates on the same players we've been linked with for weeks? Come on Chadster. Pot kettle black and all that. 

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, TBTF said:

Obviously you were born in the last month.Just to recap 

bowyer thinks he's in charge of a kitty- They sell Cairney without telling him

lambert thinks he's getting cash to spend- they sell Rhodes from underneath him

coyle thinks he's getting cash to spend- they sell Hanley and Duffy and pocket the cash

mowbray thinks he's got a transfer kitty- ................Bump

I agree on the Bowyer/ Cairney scenario.

Lambert knew all along that Rhodes was going. He thought that cash was for him to spend on new players. Legend has it that when Rhodes came back from a failed trip to agree personal terms at Boro Lambert told him to get back is his car and make it happen.

Coyle knew Hanley and Duffy wanted out. Stupid git kept Duffy in the team whilst his head had gone.

I agree that the Raos lied to Lambert on funding, not sure on Coyle as I think he was complicit but will do with Mowbray. 

We appear to be rumoured to be (lol) making lots of bids. If we are then they will be well below asking price imo.

Peterborough come into the storyline because, very conveniently, their club policy is to put ALL their players who are in the final year of a contract on the transfer list, which is available to all other clubs. If the asking price is met they may be sold and if not offered new terms.

This makes it easy for any club to be interested in Peyerborough players and if the offer is low it will never happen...but looks like activity.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

still 9 weeks of the transfer window left yet. no need to panic just yet

There is but I just cannot accept that we will start on August 5th with a rag, tag and bobtail team and we bring in several players on August 31st. There are a lot of points to play in the interim and getting a good start is imperative to me. The end of the window signings should be stocking fillers for me.

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

We appear to be rumoured to be (lol) making lots of bids. If we are then they will be well below asking price imo.

Peterborough come into the storyline because, very conveniently, their club policy is to put ALL their players who are in the final year of a contract on the transfer list, which is available to all other clubs. If the asking price is met they may be sold and if not offered new terms.

This makes it easy for any club to be interested in Peyerborough players and if the offer is low it will never happen...but looks like activity.

Darragh McAnthony likes the sound of his own voice and has been known in the past to give interviews about his players to create a Dutch auction situation.

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Are the prices Peterborough put on players representative of their quality? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Are the prices Peterborough put on players representative of their quality? 

Presumably under the preferred high player turnover system they operate then Peterborough would be pricing at a level they felt would attract players. How far below they would go I have no idea. As they have so many under offer they will not perhaps be desperate to get rid of a particular one. Those they have already given frees too.

I would say that I too would expect a prospective buyer to bid low on first call.

Clubs know what the asking price is.

Just now, Beanie01289 said:

Adam Armstrong has been made available on loan by Newcastle I wonder if TM will make a move for him after working together at Coventry.

Would be great, but have a feeling he'll want to stay in the Championship, at least...

11 hours ago, JHRover said:

On the contrary, I'd suggest 9 weeks remaining is MORE of a reason to panic than less....plenty of time for Venkys to pick up that phone and sanction a sale or two....

In terms of incomings we need the business done by the time we're kicking off at Southend. Mucking around bringing people in whilst the season is underway won't be good.

Season starts in 5 weeks ?! Why drop 4 games maybe 5 through lack of players?

To be honest I don't understand the panic. We have Smallwood, Whittingham in, Bradley Dack looks almost signed, just need a one or two faces in before start of the season and we can then look to add a couple more before the window closes. 

Just now, roverstdt said:

To be honest I don't understand the panic. We have Smallwood, Whittingham in, Bradley Dack looks almost signed, just need a one or two faces in before start of the season and we can then look to add a couple more before the window closes. 

Only if no one leaves, which seems highly unlikely.

We need a full squad, fit and ready to go from matchday 1, if we are serious in anyway shape or form about promotion. Which means they need to be here as early as possible to benefit from pre-season.

No we need players in asap, or we risk playing catch up.

With Raya, Fisher, Steele, Nyambe, Ward, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Williams, Doyle, Wharton, Bennett, Conway, Evans, Feeney, Tomlinson, Whittingham, Graham, Stokes, Smallwood. We are at 19 players get another 3 in (including Dack) we are at 22 even if one or two go just be down to 20 which is more than enough for a strong starting 11 with subs. 

I think its because of the chaotic summer we had last year and the role that played in our relegation. Last summer we began by offloading a huge amount of players and ended up with no squad. We then quickly signed a few decent looking players soon after Coyle arrived which got people thinking everything was positive. Then things went quiet for a couple of months with no more incomings, we started the season miles off where we needed to be in terms of fitness, depth and quality. We then sold Hanley and Duffy before they sanctioned some more signings which were mainly loans and arrived when the season was underway and we were playing catch up from the start.

Compare and contrast to our current situation and I'd suggest as we are the situation is almost identical to last year.

A mass exodus of out of contract players, a few decent looking free agents recruited early doors, still no money spent, and still miles short of where we need to be numbers wise to even discuss promotion next season. We're currently 10 down on last season's squad. I would suggest we need at least another 6 on top of the 2 already signed. They need to be in place, fit, ready, raring to go for Southend away. We can't be starting the season like we did last year.

Only 2 differences so far. One is that Mowbray is running it rather than Coyle. Mowbray is clearly a better manager and better man, so that should help with the fans and also help with the fitness/organisational aspect of pre-season, but in terms of the rest of it the situation is as it was. Absentee silent owners, strange bloke lurking in the shadows running the club, clueless Cheston still in place but at least keeping his trap shut this summer.

I'd be astonished if they didn't sell anyone this summer because for the last 3 years that's the only consistent they've offered. Start selling people from a 15 man squad on the eve of pre-season and its time for forget about promotion.

The potential Dack signing seems to have gone a bit quiet of late, does anyone have any good info as to how close this one actually is?

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Tony McMahon apparently the RB we are after 

Whilst I'm pleased to see is look at the RB issue, is McMahon any better than Nyambe? Nyambe was poor last year but a level down may surely help? Bostock Peterborough linked another 29 year old clogger who can't run. Is this a name mix up with The ex Spurs lad?

Got to say bar Dack I think the recruitment looks poor, lacks any long term planning.

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Tony McMahon apparently the RB we are after 

Another player who Mowbray knows so I guess that's a plus. Pretty steady away type player, solid enough for this level. My only concern is we seem too apparently be putting all these bids in for players, could it be a smokescreen to look like we are trying to spend, but in reality we are making derisory bids for a load of players with no expectation that these bids will be accepted? A negative way too look at it I know but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet until we've got a few more deals over the line. 

Just now, Butty said:

Another player who Mowbray knows so I guess that's a plus. Pretty steady away type player, solid enough for this level. My only concern is we seem too apparently be putting all these bids in for players, could it be a smokescreen to look like we are trying to spend, but in reality we are making derisory bids for a load of players with no expectation that these bids will be accepted? A negative way too look at it I know but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet until we've got a few more deals over the line. 

Exactly this. Some people seem to think making bids and talking about bids is the same as spending money. It isn't. We could make a bid for Ronaldo knowing full well it isn't enough and isn't going to be accepted by his club.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong. Maybe the Mahoney money coming in soon will be Mowbray's transfer fund. Time will tell but talking about money is cheap, spending it isn't.

Just now, JHRover said:

Exactly this. Some people seem to think making bids and talking about bids is the same as spending money. It isn't. We could make a bid for Ronaldo knowing full well it isn't enough and isn't going to be accepted by his club.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong. Maybe the Mahoney money coming in soon will be Mowbray's transfer fund. Time will tell but talking about money is cheap, spending it isn't.

Will the Mahoney money not have too go to a tribunal? Or is that only if we don't agree with the money Bournemouth offer us for snatching him? Either way that could take time. 

Just now, Butty said:

Will the Mahoney money not have too go to a tribunal? Or is that only if we don't agree with the money Bournemouth offer us for snatching him? Either way that could take time. 

Bournemouth will make an offer and if we don't like it then it will have to go to tribunal. Yes it will take time but the money will come eventually. Venkys might be prepared to stump up short term on the basis that they will get it back in a few months once the Mahoney deal is sorted.

Archived