BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

I honestly don't believe that Mowbray would be putting bids in that he knows won't happen. He does not strike me as the sort who will spout nonsense, for the sake of it, unlike his predecessor.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Butty said:

Will the Mahoney money not have too go to a tribunal? Or is that only if we don't agree with the money Bournemouth offer us for snatching him? Either way that could take time. 

The main bonus of him going to Bournemouth for us should be that if current Prem spending, and Bournemouth recently are anything to go by they hopefully won't mess about and we might get more than if it went to a tribunal.

Just now, lraC said:

I honestly don't believe that Mowbray would be putting bids in that he knows won't happen. He does not strike me as the sort who will spout nonsense, for the sake of it, unlike his predecessor.

But who is making the bids? If Mowbray wants a player is he the one ringing/faxing the clubs and offering them various levels of cash? Or is it one of the others? Who decides how high we go or how low we start?

Still so many questions and so few answers about how this club is operating. Having binned off the D of F experiment after 4 months are they now seriously expecting Mowbray to recruit/train/coach/prepare and manage every facet of the football operation on his own?

7 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Whilst I'm pleased to see is look at the RB issue, is McMahon any better than Nyambe? Nyambe was poor last year but a level down may surely help? Bostock Peterborough linked another 29 year old clogger who can't run. Is this a name mix up with The ex Spurs lad?

Got to say bar Dack I think the recruitment looks poor, lacks any long term planning.

Signing players experienced at this level shows no long term planning? How do you work that one out? The long term plan is dictated by building a team to get us out of League 1 first and foremost. 

Just now, JHRover said:

But who is making the bids? If Mowbray wants a player is he the one ringing/faxing the clubs and offering them various levels of cash? Or is it one of the others? Who decides how high we go or how low we start?

Still so many questions and so few answers about how this club is operating. Having binned off the D of F experiment after 4 months are they now seriously expecting Mowbray to recruit/train/coach/prepare and manage every facet of the football operation on his own?

Training is a few hours a day. Why can't Mowbray be making phone calls re players? Maybe Venus is doing it? 

16 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Whilst I'm pleased to see is look at the RB issue, is McMahon any better than Nyambe? Nyambe was poor last year but a level down may surely help? Bostock Peterborough linked another 29 year old clogger who can't run. Is this a name mix up with The ex Spurs lad?

Got to say bar Dack I think the recruitment looks poor, lacks any long term planning.

?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Training is a few hours a day. Why can't Mowbray be making phone calls re players? Maybe Venus is doing it? 

Its an archaic system. In 2017 a football manager shouldn't be expected to do everything on his own.

It might have worked in the 70s and 80s when things were much more simple and the game wasn't run by agents and the media, but have a look around and we're very much in the minority.

Every other club has a structure that the manager/head coach can work within and rely upon. It doesn't need to be a Director of Football, but an MD/CEO/Chairman/Sporting Director, call it what you want, everyone else has one apart from us.

Amidst the excitement of signing 2 players it seems to have escaped people's attention that the same failed structure remains in place only this time with a nice guy in the dugout instead of a clown.

At this point last season I would wager most fans would have been happy if we'd brought in Whittingham and Dack by now, yet 12 months on and in a league lower they're somehow an issue? I expect there will be departures this summer but until they are concrete it's unreasonable to expect Mowbray to bring in replacements. On paper the additions of Whittingham, Smallwood and Dack add balance to what currently looks like a strong league 1 team.

None of us have any idea what the team will look like come August but for the time being it's been refreshing to see moves being made on transfers before pre-season has begun.

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

There is but I just cannot accept that we will start on August 5th with a rag, tag and bobtail team and we bring in several players on August 31st. There are a lot of points to play in the interim and getting a good start is imperative to me. The end of the window signings should be stocking fillers for me.

We signed 2 so far, and its appears that we are set to Dack and Gladwin this week so that would be 4. Plus linked with RB and striker. so if we got them then that would be 6 players. only need a couple more in then barring any sales but

3 hours ago, Beanie01289 said:

Adam Armstrong has been made available on loan by Newcastle I wonder if TM will make a move for him after working together at Coventry.

Hope we can but expect him to go Preston or someone like that

13 hours ago, JHRover said:

On the contrary, I'd suggest 9 weeks remaining is MORE of a reason to panic than less....plenty of time for Venkys to pick up that phone and sanction a sale or two....

In terms of incomings we need the business done by the time we're kicking off at Southend. Mucking around bringing people in whilst the season is underway won't be good.

I would expect 6 or 7 signings in by the 1st game of the season

36 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Tony McMahon apparently the RB we are after 

Thanks

31 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

McMahon brings experience and can play either full back position and Mowbray knows him from his Boro days I think.

Bostwick isn't being mixed up with Bostock as the Peterborough owner confirmed we made a bid but it was rejected.

Recruitment looks poor? give it a rest lad for god's sake. Much better than last year and at least there is a proper recruitment plan in place and players being signed to fit the tactics unlike last season.

Whittingham is experience, brings good passing and set pieces skills, scores goals. Smallwood is hard tackling midfielder.

we look like we are bringing in Dack and Gladwin, both players who has scored goals at this level and performed aswell

17 minutes ago, lraC said:

Exactly. Mowbray is running the recruitment side of the club and being left to do the work without any influence from anyone,

Just now, JHRover said:

Its an archaic system. In 2017 a football manager shouldn't be expected to do everything on his own.

It might have worked in the 70s and 80s when things were much more simple and the game wasn't run by agents and the media, but have a look around and we're very much in the minority.

Every other club has a structure that the manager/head coach can work within and rely upon. It doesn't need to be a Director of Football, but an MD/CEO/Chairman/Sporting Director, call it what you want, everyone else has one apart from us.

Amidst the excitement of signing 2 players it seems to have escaped people's attention that the same failed structure remains in place only this time with a nice guy in the dugout instead of a clown.

Mowbray has already said that Venus is helping him with recruitment process. Also we have scouting department aswell to help,

Training will be fitness base in the 1st week so Mowbray wouldn't need to be there all the time as Lowe and Fitness staff can do all that.

Wonder if Robert Coar is helping running the club at the minute in a CEO type of role?

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Signing players experienced at this level shows no long term planning? How do you work that one out? The long term plan is dictated by building a team to get us out of League 1 first and foremost. 

No it's not that's short term well summed up there. Sign a host of players for a few years like McMahon and co and we will end up promoted, they are not good enough in the championship so end up on the wage bill being very hard to shift. Wages bill rises considerably signing more players leaving those then having to be paid off or loaned at only a percentage of wages paid.

its not difficult to comprehend that goes for chaddy too

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We signed 2 so far, and its appears that we are set to Dack and Gladwin this week so that would be 4. Plus linked with RB and striker. so if we got them then that would be 6 players. only need a couple more in then barring any sales but

Hope we can but expect him to go Preston or someone like that

I would expect 6 or 7 signings in by the 1st game of the season

Thanks

McMahon brings experience and can play either full back position and Mowbray knows him from his Boro days I think.

Bostwick isn't being mixed up with Bostock as the Peterborough owner confirmed we made a bid but it was rejected.

Recruitment looks poor? give it a rest lad for god's sake. Much better than last year and at least there is a proper recruitment plan in place and players being signed to fit the tactics unlike last season.

Whittingham is experience, brings good passing and set pieces skills, scores goals. Smallwood is hard tackling midfielder.

we look like we are bringing in Dack and Gladwin, both players who has scored goals at this level and performed aswell

Exactly. Mowbray is running the recruitment side of the club and being left to do the work without any influence from anyone,

Do you think the current structure in place at Blackburn Rovers is conducive to success?

If so why do all the other clubs from Manchester United down to AFC Fylde feel the need to employ a CEO/Chairman/MD/Director of Football?

Just now, Dunnfc said:

No it's not that's short term well summed up there. Sign a host of players for a few years like McMahon and co and we will end up promoted, they are not good enough in the championship so end up on the wage bill being very hard to shift. 

Promotion is the aim this season and that's what we should be planning for a promotion winning squad. Whiitingham and Smallwood can play Championship football. If we signed McMahon on 12 month contarct with a view to another 12 months if we are promote that would be sensible for that player age. But someone like Dack I would be looking at 3 or 4 year contract at least.

Just now, JHRover said:

Do you think the current structure in place at Blackburn Rovers is conducive to success?

If so why do all the other clubs from Manchester United down to AFC Fylde feel the need to employ a CEO/Chairman/MD/Director of Football?

Mowbray has already said that Venus is helping him with recruitment process. Also we have scouting department aswell to help,

Training will be fitness base in the 1st week so Mowbray wouldn't need to be there all the time as Lowe and Fitness staff can do all that.

Wonder if Robert Coar is helping running the club at the minute in a CEO type of role?

Venkys don't think they need a Chairman or MD mostly during their tenure(I think we need a MD to work with Mowbray) as they deemed it not needed. From my point of view it looks like Mowbray runs the Football side of the club with Cheston/Coar running the admin side the club.

w

3 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Would be great, but have a feeling he'll want to stay in the Championship, at least...

I totally agree he probably would want to stay championship in the article I read it says he is wanted by Bolton and a clutch of league one team's. While I think Bolton would be favorite's I would be hoping the fact his best season of his career came under TM and maybe that could sway him.

Promotion is the aim this season and that's the only planning we should be making. Whiitingham and Smallwood can play Championship football. If we signed McMahon on 12 month contarct with a view to another 12 months if we are promote that would be sensible for that player age. But someone like Dack I would be looking at 3 or 4 year contract at least

Venkys don't think they need a Chairman or MD mostly during their tenure(I think we need a MD to work with Mowbray) as they deemed it not needed. From my point of view it looks like Mowbray runs the Football side of the club with Cheston/Coar running the admin side the club.

w

You haven't answered my question.

Do you think the structure currently in place at Rovers enables the club to be successful in its proclaimed aim of promotion?

If the answer is yes could you tell me why, and why every other club is wasting millions of pounds a year to employ office based staff for no benefit.

You say Venkys don't think they need a Chairman/MD and haven't for their entire tenure, so why do you think now that things are suddenly going to be better when the basic structure remains as it always has?

Paul Lambert, a vastly experienced football man who has worked in the Championship/Premier League for 10 years, said very clearly that the club needed staff in place to help the manager and help run the club. That advice has been ignored as nothing has been done to change it since he left.

The only two people we know are involved at executive level are a buffoon named Mike Cheston who has proven he shouldn't be making any decisions beyond financial matters, and a shadowy character with no qualification or track record to be running a football club.

I know what Mowbray has said. A scouting department doesn't run a club, bid for players, set budgets, sanction cash outlays. A scouting department consists of people who go to various games and scout potential signings, of which a tiny fraction join the club. Bob Coar should be nowhere near this club, in my opinion, and certainly shouldn't be making decisions about it. Is your suggestion based on anything concrete or just speculation that Coar is actually doing work at the club?

Promotion is the aim this season and that's what we should be planning for a promotion winning squad. Whiitingham and Smallwood can play Championship football. If we signed McMahon on 12 month contarct with a view to another 12 months if we are promote that would be sensible for that player age. But someone like Dack I would be looking at 3 or 4 year contract at least.

w

Mowbray can identify players but the finer details of any contract will need to be discussed between Cheston and the players representatives. Would you honestly trust Cheston (or Coar as you suggest) to negotiate a deal with all the complex legal and financial aspects that are part of a footballers deals? I really fear that we could lose some of Mowbrays targets due the the proven ineptitude of the aforementioned.

Promotion is the aim this season and that's what we should be planning for a promotion winning squad. Whittingham and Smallwood can play Championship football. If we signed McMahon on 12 month contract with a view to another 12 months if we are promote that would be sensible for that player age. But someone like Dack I would be looking at 3 or 4 year contract at least.

Promotion is the aim this season and thats what we should be planning for a promotion winning squad. Murphy and Etuhu can play Premier League football. If we signed Orr on a 12 month contract with a view to another 12 months if we are promote that would be sensible for that player age. But someone like Fabio Nunes I would be looking at 3 or 4 year contract at least.

Kean has already said that Anderson is helping him with recruitment process. Also we have scouting department aswell to help.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

No it's not that's short term well summed up there. Sign a host of players for a few years like McMahon and co and we will end up promoted, they are not good enough in the championship so end up on the wage bill being very hard to shift. Wages bill rises considerably signing more players leaving those then having to be paid off or loaned at only a percentage of wages paid.

its not difficult to comprehend that goes for chaddy too

Maybe they will be good enough for the championship. Or if we get promoted maybe someone in league 1 will sign them. 

Who would you recommend we sign? You are saying they need to be able for this division, but also the championship and also have resale value. Let's see this list :)

Just now, JHRover said:

Utd fans spent the entire summer after moyes took over giving out about their equivalent. His name escapes me 

Correct chaddy that would be sensible and what should have happened with Smallwood. Players whom have been deemed not good enough previously for the Championship. Whittingham might give you a year in the champs but after that he's freed. There is no value to had by signing players continually like this and that goes for Bostick from Peterborough too. It's a flawed process. Players won't be inclined at that age to come on 12 month deals so you in turn create a squad mix, young starlets homegrown, cherry pick lower league talent I include l1 in this, sign a Whittingham or two for experience and loan a couple who you can return.

At the moment bar Dack the rest fall into a category of not planning for the long term so you end up with the wage bill issue when going up for players possibly not being good enough, got my spare whom you can't shift. You've still got to pay them it's like etuhu Murphy best obviously on a smaller scale.

Only advantage to long contracts and wages being paid out is Cheston gets to amortinise the cost over time

Archived