BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Utd fans spent the entire summer after moyes took over giving out about their equivalent. His name escapes me 

I presume you mean Ed Woodward. He remains in place as executive vice chairman of the club. A former investment banker who was an advisor to Malcolm Glazer when taking over United. Trusted by the family who own the club to do the job, ably assisted in his role by an MD, Financial and Commercial Director, along with owners who actually take an interest.

A bit unfair on Woodward to compare him to Mike Cheston and he who must not be named at Rovers.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JHRover said:

You haven't answered my question.

Do you think the structure currently in place at Rovers enables the club to be successful in its proclaimed aim of promotion?

If the answer is yes could you tell me why, and why every other club is wasting millions of pounds a year to employ office based staff for no benefit.

You say Venkys don't think they need a Chairman/MD and haven't for their entire tenure, so why do you think now that things are suddenly going to be better when the basic structure remains as it always has?

Paul Lambert, a vastly experienced football man who has worked in the Championship/Premier League for 10 years, said very clearly that the club needed staff in place to help the manager and help run the club. That advice has been ignored as nothing has been done to change it since he left.

The only two people we know are involved at executive level are a buffoon named Mike Cheston who has proven he shouldn't be making any decisions beyond financial matters, and a shadowy character with no qualification or track record to be running a football club.

I know what Mowbray has said. A scouting department doesn't run a club, bid for players, set budgets, sanction cash outlays. A scouting department consists of people who go to various games and scout potential signings, of which a tiny fraction join the club. Bob Coar should be nowhere near this club, in my opinion, and certainly shouldn't be making decisions about it. Is your suggestion based on anything concrete or just speculation that Coar is actually doing work at the club?

I did answer by saying I would like to see us employ a chairman or MD but Venkys appears not to want that.

Its looks like they split the club into 2 with Mowbray running the football side of the club and Cheston/Coar the admin side of the club.

I think Mowbray can get us promote this season cos he is signing players he wants and clearly have a recruitment plan in place. I believe Mowbray can get us promote even with the structure not being as we might want.

Yes Lambert did say what he did cos he went through a similar thing at Villa.

Clearly the owners have given Mowbray a budget and he working towards that. its appears Mowbray reports to Pune not Ewood Park.,

It is just opinion on Coar but I did notice he was more at games than Ive seen towards the season end and was very friendly with Pasha. Plus Coar being more involved would put the FL and FA at rest about any potential problems over the ownership possibly

Just now, arbitro said:

Mowbray can identify players but the finer details of any contract will need to be discussed between Cheston and the players representatives. Would you honestly trust Cheston (or Coar as you suggest) to negotiate a deal with all the complex legal and financial aspects that are part of a footballers deals? I really fear that we could lose some of Mowbrays targets due the the proven ineptitude of the aforementioned.

I wouldn't trust Cheston at all cos he comes across as a muppet.

I think Coar has got more involved in running the club recently. just what I think but I have no evidence of this

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Correct chaddy that would be sensible and what should have happened with Smallwood. Players whom have been deemed not good enough previously for the Championship. Whittingham might give you a year in the champs but after that he's freed. There is no value to had by signing players continually like this and that goes for Bostick from Peterborough too. It's a flawed process. Players won't be inclined at that age to come on 12 month deals so you in turn create a squad mix, young starlets homegrown, cherry pick lower league talent I include l1 in this, sign a Whittingham or two for experience and loan a couple who you can return.

At the moment bar Dack the rest fall into a category of not planning for the long term so you end up with the wage bill issue when going up for players possibly not being good enough, got my spare whom you can't shift. You've still got to pay them it's like etuhu Murphy best obviously on a smaller scale.

Only advantage to long contracts and wages being paid out is Cheston gets to amortinise the cost over time

I disagree on Smallwood as he only 26. Whittingham gives you 2 years of value and a lot of experience.

Yes we bid for Bostwick but we don't know what the bids were and at least we aren't over paying for players with 12 months left on contracts

it appears that Mowbray is looking to build a squad of what you suggest above. Lets see what squad we got come September

Whoever give Etuhu a 4 year contract should have been sacked asap.

but we aren't giving playing 4 year contracts tho

1 hour ago, Dunnfc said:

Whilst I'm pleased to see is look at the RB issue, is McMahon any better than Nyambe? Nyambe was poor last year but a level down may surely help? Bostock Peterborough linked another 29 year old clogger who can't run. Is this a name mix up with The ex Spurs lad?

Got to say bar Dack I think the recruitment looks poor, lacks any long term planning.

Who'd be surprised if they sniffed getting a few quid for Nyambe and filling the hole with a freebie on same wages or less ? 

13 minutes ago, DE. said:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/bradley-dack-blackburn-gillingham-127838/

This is from yesterday... are we waiting for the Venky Light to go green?

The article doesn't go as far as saying it's a done deal. It does at least mention a figure of £500k plus possible addons.

I think that what many of us want to see happen is for a player to be bought with cash that's not outgoing transfer fee dependant.

Dack appeared the opportunity for this to happen. Now I am not so sure.

How much do we expect Mahoney to produce? I have no idea.

Mowbray and Venus are doing the recruitment. Mowbray has mentioned several times in the press how much time he is spending on the phone talking with agents and other clubs.

We need 3 or 4 more good permanent signings to bolster the squad but only if they are thought able to assist in a promo push.

I also think that later on in the window TM will try and loan a young striker and maybe a winger from the PL, he has the contacts. From a PL club who will pay rhe wages.

Just now, gazsimm said:

What the hold up with Dack? 

Are the venkys trying to sell more chickens to fund the deal

Mowbray has bid money promised to him in India but is now discovering that it isn't really there.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I presume you mean Ed Woodward. He remains in place as executive vice chairman of the club. A former investment banker who was an advisor to Malcolm Glazer when taking over United. Trusted by the family who own the club to do the job, ably assisted in his role by an MD, Financial and Commercial Director, along with owners who actually take an interest.

A bit unfair on Woodward to compare him to Mike Cheston and he who must not be named at Rovers.

Any Utd fans I know do not think much of him. He made a mess of numerous transfers and has paid well over the odds on many more. 

Not looking like any 'further incomings' in for start of pre season then.  Pretty sure Mowbray said he  wanted most signings in for then.  

After a promising start, we are now reverting into full Venkys mode.  Can't quite get deals over the line but don't worry, this crap guy is free.  Keeping hols of our existing pkayers - the ones who relegated us- that's the important thing. 

I hope I am eating humble pie later but me thinks not and my ST money will stay in my pocket.

I would say you can count on one hand the teams who have made all their signing before pre-season starts

You can also count on one hand the number of teams who have released 12 players for the second year running.

I would say you can count on one hand the teams who have made all their signing before pre-season starts

Possibly, but that would mean at least 5 teams potentially ahead of us in terms of preparation and readiness for the season ahead which, if it translated directly into results like last season, would mean a play off berth at best.... Sobering thoughts.

Come on Venkys tawts, time to sheet or get off the pot!

Archived