BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Just now, Speedie Dived said:

Went to Bolton last year with a mate who was scouting him playing for Swindon. Lad played well and scored a decent goal, looked decent on the ball.

Detested at QPR though and his career path is nothing to write home about.

Not seen much of Gladwin,does he play centrally or out wide?

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RV Blue said:

He was 2 years younger then and was thrown under the bus after he made a couple of mistakes. Was faultless at the back end of last season, he will go very far.

That's how I see it. When he played, he had Hanley and Duffy in front of him who looked like they had a lovers' tiff. I remember them bitching at each other and playing almost 40yrds apart! He did drop a few clangers, a bit overconfident with passbacks but I agree, he looked absolutely solid in the latter part of last season and I expect him to be no1 and thrive.

7 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Has anyone thought that the hold up might be Gillingham lining up a replacement for their outgoing playmaker?

Most people don't need to rack their brains trying to work out what's going wrong and why. They know.

2 hours ago, neophox said:

Dack will score alot of goals in a better side with Bennett and Whittingham in the team. Can see Bennett, Dack and Whittingham all score 10+ goals this season. Now keep the rest and get two strikers to the club and we will walk this league. Think Raya and Nyambe will have a Big season and Also think two youngsters will improve and Leninhan will be rock steady hopefull with Mulgrew at the back! Will be nice to see the yo yo test tomorrow.

Keeping Lenihan and Mulgrew is the key I think. People are assuming they will be staying but we have no clue about that. Both will attract offers.

I take back my negative posts from yesterday based primarily on venkys history of letting us down in recent seasons. £750,000 at this level is a fairly decent statement of intent. Its enough to get me reasonably excited about what more is to come in the weeks ahead transfer wise. Good stuff. :)

I can't see Mulgrew staying, he's surely got too much quality to play in League One in one of his last seasons as a player? Be a shame to see Lenihan go if he ends up going, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching him past couple of seasons, looks like he gives a @#/? and puts a foot in when necessary.

I'm happy about the signings, I really am. I cannot stop thinking why though. Even with selling players it still seems extremely out of recent character to spend that much money. 

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

How do you know we are close to signing Gladwin this week? Hope not, not only does he sound like a poor player whose not done well at all recently, but it makes no sense to waste some of our small budget on a central midfielder, when we have Whittingham, Evans, Smallwood and Tomlinson for the central midfield positions. Whereas we have absolutely no pace and only 1 out and out striker, as well as 1 senior full back.

Why do you expect 6 or 7 signings before the season?

People are alllowed to question some of Mowbrays decisions, hes not the untouchable you seem to make up. To be fair Whittingham is a good signing, and Smallwood im content with as back up for Evans, but if people question it you cant tell them to "give it a rest lad."

How do you know that Mowbray is running the recruitment side, and theres no influence? You don't, for all we know Whittingham and Smallwood may have not been recommended by him.

Firstly, Gladwin set to sign tomorrow. How do I know cos 3 different people have told me the same info. 

Supposedly we are closing in a right back. Yes I agree we need a couple of strikers and pacey winger. 

6 or 7 signings before the start of the season? We signed 3, 1 more set to sign tomorrow. Hopefully.a full back in aswell. Thats 5. Need the strikers and pacey winger in. Hopefully this can be done before the season starts. 

Influence from who?

Hasnt Mowbray already said he is running the recruitment and in charge of it? He knew Smallwood from his Boro days. 

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Dack sounds like a quality signing. I look forward to watching him.

As others have said I can't see how Mulgrew will stay. He's a full international. He can't play in League One.

He's a full international for SCOTLAND, he can..

Mulgrew staying would be a real coup, if not Ward and Lenihan are good, and we have Wharton knocking at the door. Would still like to get a centre Half in to replace Mulgrew if he leaves. 2 hot prospects in the ranks in Magloire and Platt too.

Im pleased with the 3 signings so far, Mowbray is doing a good job.

crying out for 2 strikers now.

Now is the time to sell some of the Ewood deadwood, if only for it to look like a 'new look' team. So anyone .....even Charlie(but not Lenihan) should be traded. Hope Mahoney is watching....as a good Rovers supporter he should be having second thoughts.

57 minutes ago, mhead said:

Now is the time to sell some of the Ewood deadwood, if only for it to look like a 'new look' team. So anyone .....even Charlie(but not Lenihan) should be traded. Hope Mahoney is watching....as a good Rovers supporter he should be having second thoughts.

Financially he wont be if he is joining Bournemouth. Tbh, if he goes there, i think its shows more about the guy that he is. He wont be getting minutes on the pitch thats for sure. In his shoes, other than staying on with us he should be going somewhere that will guarantee him starts, probably in the championship.

Pleased with the signing of Dack. Alongside the deal for Whittingham they are very promising signings for this league.

I know nothing about Smallwood so I can't say i'm pleased or unhappy with that signing. The same will be said if we bring Gladwin in. Sounds like both of those players careers have stuttered in the last couple of years so hopefully Rovers can get them back on track.

I'd assume if Gladwin signs then that'll be all for midfield you would think. Time to bring in a striker or 2.

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

Financially he wont be if he is joining Bournemouth. Tbh, if he goes there, i think its shows more about the guy that he is. He wont be getting minutes on the pitch thats for sure. In his shoes, other than staying on with us he should be going somewhere that will guarantee him starts, probably in the championship.

Josh King did alright - think Bournemouth have a good setup to develop Mahoney and the financial risk for them is peanuts should he fail. 

League 1 or PL at a club that transformed a players career deemed "not good enough" by Rovers...

13 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Blackburn, with the ice arena, League One status, filthy streets, entrapping bus lane cameras, toothless smack addicts and drab, dour weather. The college with foul mouthed slappers, who shreik and cackle their way to Maccy D's. On an evening, have a romantic walk along the dank canal, spotting the occasional rat or floating corpse.

Or Bournemouth...Premier League football, the beautiful Dorset coast and climate, Poole harbour 5 mins away, Sandbanks beach, great restaurants, stunning houses, a university with plenty of beautiful young women.

If I was his dad, I know which one I'd guide him towards.

I am thinking more for his career. There is no way he'll be breaking into the first team there in the near future that's for sure. Sure, Bournemouth over Rovers any time of the week as a club right now but at his age he needs to be playing.

Josh King is a bit different, he joined Bournemouth for their first season in the prem, was an established international that had played (although sparingly) a lot more games in the Championship over a couple of years compared to what Mahoney has. He also made quite an impact in a couple of cup games. Mahoney has a handful of Championship games to his belt only and hardly shook the world with any of them.

I have no qualms him wanting to leave this pile of $^%& but I would have put game time as my main motivator at his age - how many more years does he need to 'develop' without playing? he ain't that young anymore.

yes, a low risk for Bournemouth so its well worth the shot for them with little to lose...Mahoney on the other hand.

Just now, Pedro said:

Blackburn, with the ice arena, League One status, filthy streets, entrapping bus lane cameras, toothless smack addicts and drab, dour weather. The college with foul mouthed slappers, who shreik and cackle their way to Maccy D's. On an evening, have a romantic walk along the dank canal, spotting the occasional rat or floating corpse.

Or Bournemouth...Premier League football, the beautiful Dorset coast and climate, Poole harbour 5 mins away, Sandbanks beach, great restaurants, stunning houses, a university with plenty of beautiful young women.

If I was his dad, I know which one I'd guide him towards.

Have some pride in your town, you fool. The streets where I live (less than a mile from Ewood) are not filthy, but well kept, pleasant and green. The College, although not a full university, provides a platform for many young people to change their lives for the better, including offering the chance to study for a degree from a top 10 university (Lancaster). The canal does have its rough spots yes, but it is a great amenity that it under valued by many and runs through some lovely local scenery and areas of key historic significance. The people are (generally) warm and friendly - I have lived in many places around the world and trust me, Blackburn folk compare well to those in many other places, particularly large cities. We have affordable housing, excellent transportation links to major employment areas (Manchester) and tourism (Lake District, London, Wales, Scotland). The amenities are good - free parks that aren't congested and  overrun due to high population, a decent shopping centre, a good library and a healthy theatre community. And best of all, we have Blackburn Rovers - a brand that will endure long beyond the temporary tenure of the current weird ownership.

Bournemouth? Yes, of course it has a nice beach, a conference centre and a full university - but who would want to live next to Big 'Arry and his ilk, whose only concern is how much cash they can squeeze out of the system and how big their house is...

No brainer, true dat.

Venkys out! Backwards stawt.

Just now, Disenfranchised said:

Have some pride in your town, you fool. The streets where I live (less than a mile from Ewood) are not filthy, but well kept, pleasant and green. The College, although not a full university, provides a platform for many young people to change their lives for the better, including offering the chance to study for a degree from a top 10 university (Lancaster). The canal does have its rough spots yes, but it is a great amenity that it under valued by many and runs through some lovely local scenery and areas of key historic significance. The people are (generally) warm and friendly - I have lived in many places around the world and trust me, Blackburn folk compare well to those in many other places, particularly large cities. We have affordable housing, excellent transportation links to major employment areas (Manchester) and tourism (Lake District, London, Wales, Scotland). The amenities are good - free parks that aren't congested and  overrun due to high population, a decent shopping centre, a good library and a healthy theatre community. And best of all, we have Blackburn Rovers - a brand that will endure long beyond the temporary tenure of the current weird ownership.

Bournemouth? Yes, of course it has a nice beach, a conference centre and a full university - but who would want to live next to Big 'Arry and his ilk, whose only concern is how much cash they can squeeze out of the system and how big their house is...

No brainer, true dat.

Venkys out! Backwards stawt.

Calm down Jack Straw, it's not my town to have pride in and take it with a fistfull of salt and a sense of humour, you fool.

Thanks for taking the time to list the very basics that every town has though, I'm amazed you missed out street-lighting and sanitation in tourist information broadcast ?

Archived