BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Just now, RV Blue said:

Swindon fans definitely liked him in his first spell, QPR fans don't like him but he did only start 6ish games for them.

Any idea what Swindon fans felt of his more recent spells? That seems key to me.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, davulsukur said:

Too late now to find out if he's any good or not!

Actually we have no other choice but to find out if he's any good or not...this is certainly Tony's strangest signing to date. Just a body I expect. For some reason I feel reminded of the Alex Marrow signing...but I will give him every chance to prove the doubters wrong. Good luck Ben!

So Gladwin signs for an "undisclosed fee" where as the Dack fee was put out there for everyone too see. Don't understand that. Still though, another signing! It's good too see us trying to get our business done as early as we can. Smallwood Whittingham and Dack all seem very solid league one players whereas Gladwin has something to prove, hope he does prove what he can do. Good luck too the lad.

Alex Marrow was an odd case all round, I saw Marrow play in a behind closed doors game against a top league 1 side shortly before he went on loan to Palace. He absolutely ran the show and looked head and shoulders above anything on both sides, he was quick, very strong, physical, aggressive and used the ball really well, its baffling that he just fell lower and lower down the leagues without ever really making an impact.

Just now, Butty said:

So Gladwin signs for an "undisclosed fee" where as the Dack fee was put out there for everyone too see. Don't understand that.

I would imagine they wanted to announce the Dack fee to show we are willing to spend a bit for quality. And not announcing this one because we don't want to show we are willing to spend a bit for dross....(tongue in cheek, will give him every chance, and a look over his league one track record suggests he has been decent at this level before).

They purposely disclosed the Dack fee as its a substantial amount (for this league anyway) and probably to say 'up yours' to those of us saying they dont spend (which they dont until now rather strangely). The Gladwin fee is probably tiny in comparison and not something they think showing off about is worthwhile.

My sources tell me that Lewis Mansell was training last Thursday with a few first team lads.

No I don't know whether I'm reading into things too much, and maybe this is totally normal, but I won't if it's a hint that he could feature for the first time this season, maybe as back-up, or maybe a bencher....but still, food for thought. 

With gladwin, Dack, Whittingham, Smallwood in, all that is missing is McMahon, a winger and a striker and I will be delighted with this year transfer window. You can tell that there was a plan a place, we added creativity, ball winners, everything needed really

Just now, MikeRovers said:

God knows why it's taken 3rd tier football for them to start spending. The mind boggles

I wondered if it was still to do with the whole "Venkys have lost trust in an advicers blah blah blah and didn't spend because they were scared to buy a flop", but Mowbary has given them a new lease of trust maybe?

Just now, Leyland-Rover said:

My sources tell me that Lewis Mansell was trying last Thursday with a few first team lads.

No I don't know whether I'm reading into things too much, and maybe this is totally normal, but I won't if it's a hint that he could feature for the first time this season, maybe as back-up, or maybe a bencher....but still, food for thought. 

Trying? 

Just now, bluebruce said:

Actually we have no other choice but to find out if he's any good or not...this is certainly Tony's strangest signing to date. Just a body I expect. For some reason I feel reminded of the Alex Marrow signing...but I will give him every chance to prove the doubters wrong. Good luck Ben!

Fair point, I kinda meant prior to him signing but point taken.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Clean slate. He starts off as good now he's at Rovers :brfc:

That's how I used to view all signings, so yep, you're correct. Clean slate, give him a chance to prove his worth in a Rovers shirt.

I don't object to Stokes being here, if he pulls his socks up. On his day he could rip holes in League 1 defences, he showed in flashes last year the quality he has, unfortunately those flashes were few and he was unavailable for selection for vast periods. My point remains a fit, fired up Anthony Stokes would be one of the best players in League 1.

Something for the mixer - Emnes?

1.) Free agent - fact.

2.) Loved by the fans - fact

3.) Did he love the fans and the club enough to take a salary cut?  - Discuss.

Ah he would be deadly in League 1. Here's hoping. Keeping him motivated would be the struggle. In fact that will be the struggle for all our team next season. 

Something for the mixer - Emnes?

1.) Free agent - fact.

2.) Loved by the fans - fact

3.) Did he love the fans and the club enough to take a salary cut?  - Discuss.

On a free and on League 1-ish wages I would take him for sure. We need 2 strikers and we know what we would get with him.I think he'll get offers from the Championship though.

Archived