BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Why do people keep bigging up Elliot Ward? He has hardly been an inspiring player for us. His first half performance in the 1st home game against Norwich last season was ranked amongst the worst performances I have ever witnessed. Flat footed, slow and not good enough at picking up his man or reading the game. Granted this a lower level but I'm hardly counting him as a player to build a squad with. He's hardly got youth on his side either.

Tomlinson is an unknown entity - had you said Wharton I may have agreed.

Mulgrew may be off.

We do need a centre half.

Apologies, meant Wharton.

There is no point signing players in case someone leaves. Can't see us doing that. 

Ward was injured a lot, but I thought he was decent when he came back. Apart from the Bristol city game. 

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, roversfan99 said:

Ward was decent in the season with Lambert, you cant judge him on 20 minutes in a terrible team performance before he was injured, he was good when he came back in at the end of the season, he is experienced, he is comfortable on the ball, and he is better than the level of player we can attract.

Only reason we would need a centre back is if we don't have one of Mulgrew, Lenihan, Ward and Wharton, which to be fair is likely. All 4 I would be more than happy with.

We need a right back as first choice, a left back to compete with Williams who is poor, we really need a pacy winger, and 2 strikers.

Hopefully Gladwin and Smallwood can compete with Whittingham and Evans, and Stokes can compete with Dack as a number 10. 

That game just put the final nail in the coffin for me. I've long thought he is an overrated player.
He is comfortable on the ball though, but at this level with the quality of some of the pitches we will be playing on this year the last thing you want is a CB that has the potential to lose it and not the speed to make it back.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Apologies, meant Wharton.

There is no point signing players in case someone leaves. Can't see us doing that. 

Ward was injured a lot, but I thought he was decent when he came back. Apart from the Bristol city game. 

Wharton, Mulgrew & Lenihan I agree with you. Ward I don't.

I'm not saying Elliot Ward isn't a reasonable player. I just don't think relying on a 32(?) year old with injury problems - in a league with as many games as this - is sensible with only Wharton & Tomlinson as back up. Especially considering our other experienced CB has his own injury problems. If he stays, of course.

The only positive is Williams can play CB. With that in mind we need a left back as well as this right back we are chasing.

I don't think anyone can deny we need to improve on our defensive side after last season.

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

50% of them are bankrupt within 5 years of retiring because they are @#/? with money. Not because they're not paid enough. For a lot of them it doesn't matter what you pay them, they will misspend it.

I wish someone would offer me those peanuts.

That's true. But the short career still stands.

Let's be honest here, Dack, Smallwood and Whitingham have not signed for us because they have dreamt of playing for us, we have offered them a better deal than elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Anyone seen Gladwin play? Haven't read many rave reviews about the bloke. Happy to trust TM on this but seems an odd one.

Seen him once, in a side "managed" by Sherwood. Played well that day, tall, gets about, could pass a ball.

QPR fans are not having him at all though.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Actually we have no other choice but to find out if he's any good or not...this is certainly Tony's strangest signing to date. Just a body I expect. For some reason I feel reminded of the Alex Marrow signing...but I will give him every chance to prove the doubters wrong. Good luck Ben!

A lot better on the ball than Marrow. Played right in a middle three when i saw him.

Still looked raw, if that makes any sense.

2 hours ago, Butty said:

So Gladwin signs for an "undisclosed fee" where as the Dack fee was put out there for everyone too see. Don't understand that. Still though, another signing! It's good too see us trying to get our business done as early as we can. Smallwood Whittingham and Dack all seem very solid league one players whereas Gladwin has something to prove, hope he does prove what he can do. Good luck too the lad.

I would take an educated guess that it all revolves around tax, from the agents point of view. 

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

That game just put the final nail in the coffin for me. I've long thought he is an overrated player.
He is comfortable on the ball though, but at this level with the quality of some of the pitches we will be playing on this year the last thing you want is a CB that has the potential to lose it and not the speed to make it back.

Wharton, Mulgrew & Lenihan I agree with you. Ward I don't.

I'm not saying Elliot Ward isn't a reasonable player. I just don't think relying on a 32(?) year old with injury problems - in a league with as many games as this - is sensible with only Wharton & Tomlinson as back up. Especially considering our other experienced CB has his own injury problems. If he stays, of course.

The only positive is Williams can play CB. With that in mind we need a left back as well as this right back we are chasing.

I don't think anyone can deny we need to improve on our defensive side after last season.

If we could sign a utility player who can cover another position as well as centre half I would be in. What are Chris Sutton or Dion Dublin doing these days :) 

Just now, ewoodpo said:

From Alan Nixon on his Twitter feed. 

Blackburn. McMahon thing hit a snag. Won't happen immediately. Lifeline for Bradford??

Nixon is a pain in the ass, always bad news :)

See Andy Cryer on Twitter said Rovers will walk the league next year. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we could sign a utility player who can cover another position as well as centre half I would be in. What are Chris Sutton or Dion Dublin doing these days :) 

One is a legend and Dion is making his own musical instruments, selling houses on telly.

Just now, Eternal Optimist said:

Really??? He's 35 now! 

Mark Hughes was 36 I think when we signed him, played a full part in promotion, then the next season Man of the match in a major cup final we won.

Lambert would be the perfect target man/battering ram addition imo.

Archived