SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Your formation is formatted wrongly, it comes up as gibberish. 2 strikers with 1 in behind is almost unheard of. If I'm wrong please give me some examples...

Antonio Conte at Juventus. In fact a lot of Italian managers use that formation. Holland used it in a recent tournament, likewise Van Gaal tried to use it for Utd but didn't have the players. Pep Guardiola used it at Barcelona for years.

3-5-2 is renowned to be used for a possession game, which is exactly the way TM wants to play.

Finally, but certainly the biggest bombshell, TM used it as Boro manager. Do a bit of research before calling others out.

I bet Frank DeBoer at Palace sets up similarly this year too. 

Liverpool under Brendan Rodgers had Sterling in behind Suarez and Sturridge. I would suspect we would have to have another main striker to rotate with Graham and play alongside him occasionally. If we could get a striker with pace that can play as both a winger and a striker this would be ideal and help with Mowbrays flexibility in terms of formations.

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Antonio Conte at Juventus. In fact a lot of Italian managers use that formation. Holland used it in a recent tournament, likewise Van Gaal tried to use it for Utd but didn't have the players. Pep Guardiola used it at Barcelona for years.

3-5-2 is renowned to be used for a possession game, which is exactly the way TM wants to play.

Finally, but certainly the biggest bombshell, TM used it as Boro manager. Do a bit of research before calling others out.

I bet Frank DeBoer at Palace sets up similarly this year too. 

Was actually going to say Juventus but they only used it for a season or so. Saying Guardiola used it for years at Barca is just an out and out lie, they played a classic 4-3-3. So your two examples are Van Gal tried to use it once and the Palace manager may or may not use it, fantastic. It is a very uncommon formation and I would much rather play a formation that everyone understands, is there really much wrong with that?

4 minutes ago, robbojohnno said:

Liverpool under Brendan Rodgers had Sterling in behind Suarez and Sturridge. I would suspect we would have to have another main striker to rotate with Graham and play alongside him occasionally. If we could get a striker with pace that can play as both a winger and a striker this would be ideal and help with Mowbrays flexibility in terms of formations.

Obviously there are various examples but it is very uncommon.

Yep and I don't believe we will go with 2 up front and Dack in behind. It would be very attacking and I don't see Mowbray as that type of manager based on last season. I think we need a striker to rotate with Graham and play together on certain occasions - chasing games etc.

4 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

Mowbray today talked about leaving Graham out if we played against teams that had pacey strikers.

We would defend deep, limit their space and play on the counter attack. To do so we would need a speed merchant up top.

I don't deny that we need another striker but for both him and Graham to get 20 goals means that they'd be up top together for the majority of games.

6 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Was actually going to say Juventus but they only used it for a season or so. Saying Guardiola used it for years at Barca is just an out and out lie, they played a classic 4-3-3. So your two examples are Van Gal tried to use it once and the Palace manager may or may not use it, fantastic. It is a very uncommon formation and I would much rather play a formation that everyone understands, is there really much wrong with that?

It's not an uncommon formation though. Pep did play it at Barcelona. Look it up. The classic 4-3-3 that Sky would set up as their formation is wrong. In possession Barca would be set up as that 3-5-2 with the 'false 9' type player. Note that Messi is the ultimate 'false 9' player and then he played in behind Eto'o and Henry. Sure Henry and Messi would pull out wide with Eto'o in the middle but the formation of 3-5-2 was the basic team set up. With Neymar naturally hugging the touchline that of course changed a little.

The guy above quoted Liverpool too. Another perfect example.

Conte used it throughout his Juve years not just a season or two.

Look, I'm not saying he's going to go with this formation. All I am saying is that you saying 2 up top with an attacking midfielder is unheard of is wrong. It isn't. It certainly isn't a reason to doubt the desire to sign another 20 goals a season striker. It's been used by some of the most successful managers in the world and is adopted by teams in every continent. Let's not pretend he's just throwing players into untried systems.

2 minutes ago, robbojohnno said:

Yep and I don't believe we will go with 2 up front and Dack in behind. It would be very attacking and I don't see Mowbray as that type of manager based on last season. I think we need a striker to rotate with Graham and play together on certain occasions - chasing games etc.

He generally does play attacking football. His hands were tied with players and our league position last season. 

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It's not an uncommon formation though. Pep did play it at Barcelona. Look it up. The classic 4-3-3 that Sky would set up as their formation is wrong. In possession Barca would be set up as that 3-5-2 with the 'false 9' type player. Note that Messi is the ultimate 'false 9' player and then he played in behind Eto'o and Henry. Sure Henry and Messi would pull out wide with Eto'o in the middle but the formation of 3-5-2 was the basic team set up. With Neymar naturally hugging the touchline that of course changed a little.

The guy above quoted Liverpool too. Another perfect example.

Conte used it throughout his Juve years not just a season or two.

Look, I'm not saying he's going to go with this formation. All I am saying is that you saying 2 up top with an attacking midfielder is unheard of is wrong. It isn't. It certainly isn't a reason to doubt the desire to sign another 20 goals a season striker. It's been used by some of the most successful managers in the world and is adopted by teams in every continent. Let's not pretend he's just throwing players into untried systems.

So you've now changed the argument to 3-5-2, I thought we were talking about the diamond formation? If you don't think a 3-5-2 formation is extremely uncommon you are simply kidding yourself. If more than one or two of our players have played it before I would be extremely surprised.

Rewriting history on possibly the greatest team to play football is a bad idea.

5 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

We were similar odds in pre season after the first relegation under this lot.

Winning the league still not convinced, feeling it's going to be a lot tougher than people are expecting, Promotion a genuine possibility though but remember the chicken pluckers are only minutes away on any given day of cocking things up.

Fingers crossed that Mowbray has the power that is being reported.

I think we are in for  rude awakening.  It's not going to be a cakewalk.  Tough start if we don't come out of the traps flying we could struggle.  Will need the right attitude, no complacency.  

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Raya

Mulgrew lenihan Ward

Bennett Smallwood Whitingham  Williams 

Dack

Graham   Stokes/Joe Bloggs

Joe bloggs the original "A. Trialist" 

id be looking at Omar Bogle, Nathael Julan, Louis Moult

7 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Joe bloggs the original "A. Trialist" 

id be looking at Omar Bogle, Nathael Julan, Louis Moult

Be doing well to sign Bogle. Didn't he just join Wigan in January? I haven't heard of the other two. Who do they play for and what would they bring to the table do you think? 

13 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

So you've now changed the argument to 3-5-2, I thought we were talking about the diamond formation? If you don't think a 3-5-2 formation is extremely uncommon you are simply kidding yourself. If more than one or two of our players have played it before I would be extremely surprised.

Rewriting history on possibly the greatest team to play football is a bad idea.

Of course our players have played it before. I'm not sure why you think it is so uncommon. 

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Of course our players have played it before. I'm not sure why you think it is so uncommon. 

Playing 3 at the back has been unfashionable for over a decade, it has just recently come back in fashion but as more of a 3-4-2-1 rather than a 3-4-1-2.

I think we will line up like this as Plan A

Raya; Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams; Smallwood,.Whittingham; Bennett, Dack, Gladwin; Graham

Plan B

Raya; Lenihan Ward Mulgrew; Bennett Evans Whittingham Williams; Dack; Graham, new striker

Plan A is 4-2-3-1 and Plan B is 3-5-2

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think we will line up like this as Plan A

Raya; Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams; Smallwood,.Whittingham; Bennett, Dack, Gladwin; Graham

Plan B

Raya; Lenihan Ward Mulgrew; Bennett Evans Whittingham Williams; Dack; Graham, new striker

Plan A is 4-2-3-1 and Plan B is 3-5-2

Er what about Steele whom you championed over a ex England keeper.. 

27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Be doing well to sign Bogle. Didn't he just join Wigan in January? I haven't heard of the other two. Who do they play for and what would they bring to the table do you think? 

Not forgot your list busy week! 

Moult - Motherwell 500k born finisher, poor mans Rhodes

Bogle - great with both feet, looked good in the champs, he's a Roberts type but with a better finish, 24 so will improve, 1-1.5 million Wigan will sell for.

Julan - my dark card I posted a fella called Riyad Mharez six years ago when we could get him for 450k. Julan is a tall energetic striker just broke into Le Havre (same team) my France team, first team, regular scorer for thereb team. He's potential but will be a hit in l1, raw attributed are control, medium pace, but his height must be at least six foot four, work on his spring we can find a raw rudy Gestede. 

I like the way Mowbray speaks in almost all interviews he has given. 

However you could make me Manager and I'd say the perfect words to make all the fans get behind me. He's a great PR machine for the club, and I really hope he can pull,off something of a little miracle in keeping the squad together and getting us back up. 

But the easiest bit of his job is saying the right thing. Just because he says we will be attacking and work hard, it doesn't mean we will !!!

4 hours ago, Boz said:

He spoke of the 4 new permanent signings, Whiitingham, Smallwood, Dack & Gladwin. Commented about wary of suggestion that signing League 1 players might  mean that he is settling for such standard of players, which he is not. 

A couple offers pending, one for a striker.  He wants cover at right and left back. He needs 80 goals if Rovers are to be promoted, Graham 20 to 25, plus a similar total amount from midfield and then also set piece defenders goals, means that he definitely requires another striker for a similar 20 goal tally.

Chatted about the recruitment process, Tommy Johnson chief scout and being away only back touching base with him only once a week, he'd  also like to have a team of young interns, Sports Science, each looking at  the analytics from specific leagues, for example French 2nd tier league, knowing the league inside out and highlighting the best right back for example, TM speaking with them each afternoon about players that might be a good fit and who he should be looking at. So Chaddy at al, send him your FIFA and Football manager CV.

I just love the depth to what he will talk about. This is what I wanted. Someone who will answer a question, not just skirt around something or throw a cliche soundbite back.

21 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Not forgot your list busy week! 

Moult - Motherwell 500k born finisher, poor mans Rhodes

Bogle - great with both feet, looked good in the champs, he's a Roberts type but with a better finish, 24 so will improve, 1-1.5 million Wigan will sell for.

Julan - my dark card I posted a fella called Riyad Mharez six years ago when we could get him for 450k. Julan is a tall energetic striker just broke into Le Havre (same team) my France team, first team, regular scorer for thereb team. He's potential but will be a hit in l1, raw attributed are control, medium pace, but his height must be at least six foot four, work on his spring we can find a raw rudy Gestede. 

Nice one. You should email that into our recruitment department :)

Signing Bogle for 1.5 million would basically be us saying to the other clubs "we are the Galacticos here peasants" Would that be a record fee spent by a league 1 club?  I would love it, but I can't see it happening

I don't think we are the Galacticos by the way. I think we are going to need to work very hard and scrap to get back to the championship. I feel we are in safe hands though 

Archived