SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

2 strikers plus pacey wide player and a versatile defender?

9 hours ago, bob fleming said:

And you? Positive or miserable? Happy or sad?

I'll add to that, personally I'm fluctuating at the moment between Joy Divisions Unknown Pleasures and The Peel Sessions. The difference between dark and shade is astonishing. But hey, I keep smiling!

(the peel sessions are brilliant by the way)

quote from the fast show "this week I am mostly feeling Positive"

10 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

At the fans' meeting Mowbray described Mulgrew as the one they all look up to.

I honestly think this was part of the problem last year. The person given the arm band was not the person the rest of the players looked up to. I hope Mulgrew stays this season and can keep himself fit. A lot will depend on Strachan.

Good post by @bob fleming earlier. Things do feel different.

Mowbray v Coyle is a no contest. Fans despised him from the start (for good reasons) - mainly he was more of the same bs, and even his appointment stank the place out. Mowbray meanwhile, in following him, was on the front foot as soon as he walked in the door. Fans want to support the team - even the NAPM. He was a breath of fresh air, a straight talker and it's easy to put one's faith in him.

A clear out of some dead wood, and chiefly the non-captain will now be replaced with a proper leader (I hope). Hopefully contract negotiations are going on to improve Mulgrew's terms and make him captain. I'll confess that apart from Whittingham, I've never heard of the others. May be hidden gems, may be plodders but as long as they manager is happy.

There is no obvious bogey man off the pitch - and no sign of in-fighting or different agendas or agent-led agendas - maybe Mowbray is just better at making it seem that way. This was a feature of the early Bowyer tenure - another man who followed a major period of unrest and benefitted from it - although even that was different to now. Every season there has been a Agnew, Shaw, Singh, Senior (ASS'S) one might say. Only Pasha now sits in the shadows - at least as far as we know. But even so, on the face of it, it looks like Mowbray is getting the players he wants. Now this could still be Senior's B list coming to fruition, we'll never know - although I'd like to think it's because Mowbray and Venus are working their balls off behind the scenes. At the very least, if these are Tony's men then that's as much as we can hope for.

Its a shame really for those principled folk who have nailed their colours to the mast and boycotted. That was a strategy for some time ago - when we were still in the PL. When we needed to get rid of Kean. Protests never reached the necessary numbers and they have remained a minority ever since. I expect part of the boycott is down to feelings not only towards the Raos but also contempt towards fellow fans. An understandable view. We are now past the point where boycotts will have any affect - aside from maybe lowering the blood pressure of the individuals involved - as we now have a normal, maybe even above average, lower league crowd. If Rovers return to the second tier - and dare I say the PL one day then, assuming Venkys don't then sell, a lot of good, long-standing Rovers fans will be out in the cold, while the glory-hunting, plastic, klingons will return to cheerlead and pretend they never left.

Yes, things feel different for those who have stuck it out but I make this point because for a small but important group of people, nothing will feel different at all: same bad owners, same downgrading of the team, same lowering of expectations of the fans, same excuses, and the same gnawing feeling in the pit of their stomach.

#rememberingthefallen

12 hours ago, Mark Atkins' Bald Patch said:

Lenihan for captain? Young yes, but a hard worker, will put the boot in when needed, has a history with the club, seems to be vocal and seems to have the respect of his teammates.

Captains can be effective in many different ways... I once played in a team that was captained by one of the most quiet guys at the club. However he could tackle through a brick wall and could lift the entire team performance by 50% by crashing into someone and winning the ball back for us. 

Captains have to be dominating and a good player, Lenihan is neither. He's a tryer and I think has the club at heart but new captain for me is Bennett, against Villa and Brentford etc he was the one who looked like giving a damn and was physically urging those besides him on. Really hope we keep him technically he's probably our best player left.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Thinking Mulgrew might be off before the season starts is what I call " realistic " thinking. This lot have previous regarding selling our better players.

Genuinely I'd love to keep Mulgrew but if he goes and TM gets the funds a player who I recommended last year whilst on a free was Ryan Tafazolli. He's at Peterborough now but within our range especially with a fee and wages recouped from Mulgrew whom I think only starred in 28! Games last season. As good as he is and I bloody love him he doesn't offer "value" at a reported higher salary of this club. 

9 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Captains have to be dominating and a good player, Lenihan is neither. He's a tryer and I think has the club at heart but new captain for me is Bennett, against Villa and Brentford etc he was the one who looked like giving a damn and was physically urging those besides him on. Really hope we keep him technically he's probably our best player left.

In your opinion Lenihan isn't a good player dunnfc.I think that is absolute rubbish.Like when you said Danny Graham wouldn't score goals for us

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

In your opinion Lenihan isn't a good player dunnfc.I think that is absolute rubbish.Like when you said Danny Graham wouldn't score goals for us

Danny Graham let's be honest prior to here struggled so that's different as we could only look at form. Graham or Rhodes would we have gone down with Rhodes, no.

Im yet to see what Lenihan stands out at, no one can suggest anything. He will be a Jason Lowe type 

16 minutes ago, Stuart said:

@bob fleming

Its a shame really for those principled folk who have nailed their colours to the mast and boycotted. That was a strategy for some time ago - when we were still in the PL. When we needed to get rid of Kean. Protests never reached the necessary numbers and they have remained a minority ever since. I expect part of the boycott is down to feelings not only towards the Raos but also contempt towards fellow fans. An understandable view. We are now past the point where boycotts will have any affect - aside from maybe lowering the blood pressure of the individuals involved - as we now have a normal, maybe even above average, lower league crowd. If Rovers return to the second tier - and dare I say the PL one day then, assuming Venkys don't then sell, a lot of good, long-standing Rovers fans will be out in the cold, while the glory-hunting, plastic, klingons will return to cheerlead and pretend they never left.

Yes, things feel different for those who have stuck it out but I make this point because for a small but important group of people, nothing will feel different at all: same bad owners, same downgrading of the team, same lowering of expectations of the fans, same excuses, and the same gnawing feeling in the pit of their stomach.

#rememberingthefallen

I'm glad that for you and many others things feel different now. I can understand why. But whilst Venky's are here it can never really BE different. We all know they can go from appearing normal to refusing to communicate except to authorise sales of any player we have whose actually any good in the blink of an eye. We all know they are not to be trusted. Their promises have been broken so many times from the moment they walked in. I've been duped a few times by them when they make apparently sensible decisions but not again. Even if we were to get promoted I'd not be back. I couldn't do it. I'd be delighted but a choice has been made. It's annoying because it means I look like I'm not supporting Mowbray and it's  not true. I desperately want him to do well, especially with his Boro connections and being a fellow Smoggie. I desperately want Rovers to do well, to sweep all before them and get back up. But we all know we're one Venky's stupid decision from messing it up so although it may feel different, may even currently BE different , we all know that with the same structure and Venky's as owners it probably isn't. 

13 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Danny Graham let's be honest prior to here struggled so that's different as we could only look at form. Graham or Rhodes would we have gone down with Rhodes, no.

Im yet to see what Lenihan stands out at, no one can suggest anything. He will be a Jason Lowe type 

Danny Graham had a terrible time at Sunderland but Danny Graham scored goals in the premier league Jordan Rhodes hasn't.

You have to take into account that Lenihan has had long spells out as a young Player which would have put back his development.When he was on loan at Burton Jimmy floyd Hasselbaink spoke glowingly about him,saying he had the potential to play at the top.

Lenihan was one of if not our best player last season imo

13 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Danny Graham had a terrible time at Sunderland but Danny Graham scored goals in the premier league Jordan Rhodes hasn't.

You have to take into account that Lenihan has had long spells out as a young Player which would have put back his development.When he was on loan at Burton Jimmy floyd Hasselbaink spoke glowingly about him,saying he had the potential to play at the top.

Your on something concerning lenihan lol! He's meh middle range an average youth product similar to Alex Mowatt at Leeds in which after 40-50 games didn't kick on lost his "yoof" tag and was sold to Barnsley for 500k, the same with lenihan, he's not very good. His best attributes are physical but he gets a buy with fans because he spent a few years in the development teams, moved from belvedere in ROI as a sixteen year old I think so not exactly one of ours. Appreciate that bit about hasselbaink he has very good application, physically good but talented footballer, no way I think his physicalness masks his deficiencies technically. 

Best player? Whilst that wasn't difficult he was a consistent player I.e most weeks in a relegated side. 

18 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I'm glad that for you and many others things feel different now. I can understand why. But whilst Venky's are here it can never really BE different. We all know they can go from appearing normal to refusing to communicate except to authorise sales of any player we have whose actually any good in the blink of an eye. We all know they are not to be trusted. Their promises have been broken so many times from the moment they walked in. I've been duped a few times by them when they make apparently sensible decisions but not again. Even if we were to get promoted I'd not be back. I couldn't do it. I'd be delighted but a choice has been made. It's annoying because it means I look like I'm not supporting Mowbray and it's  not true. I desperately want him to do well, especially with his Boro connections and being a fellow Smoggie. I desperately want Rovers to do well, to sweep all before them and get back up. But we all know we're one Venky's stupid decision from messing it up so although it may feel different, may even currently BE different , we all know that with the same structure and Venky's as owners it probably isn't. 

Pretty sure I said exactly this in my post.

13 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Fact. no need for the 'imo'.  I'd be gutted if he left. He was immense at Burton when he played for them in midfield in League 2. Their fans raved about him.

We need to keep him.

1 minute ago, Dunnfc said:

Your on something concerning lenihan lol! He's meh middle range an average youth product similar to Alex Mowatt at Leeds in which after 40-50 games didn't kick on lost his "yoof" tag and was sold to Barnsley for 500k, the same with lenihan, he's not very good. His best attributes are physical but he gets a buy with fans because he spent a few years in the development teams, moved from belvedere in ROI as a sixteen year old I think so not exactly one of ours. Appreciate that bit about hasselbaink he has very good application, physically good but talented footballer, no way I think his physicalness masks his deficiencies technically. 

Best player? Whilst that wasn't difficult he was a consistent player I.e most weeks in a relegated side. 

I'm glad you don't do our scouting. Lenihan is quality.

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'm glad you don't do our scouting. Lenihan is quality.

I'm glad I'm not blind either. He's pap. Tell me a championship side he'd get into? I wouldn't say he's awful but he's not good just a very ordinary youth product, if we can fleece a million for him get shut.

6 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

This is one of those divisions where only being physical as a best attribute can serve you well though so I think he'll be ok this season so i'd prefer to keep him to be honest. I'd swap him for an Andy Morrison type though B)

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

This is one of those divisions where only being physical as a best attribute can serve you well though so I think he'll be ok this season so i'd prefer to keep him to be honest. I'd swap him for an Andy Morrison type though B)

I agree the gulf in quality in this and the championship cannot be underestimated, lenihan will do well in this league as its his level

Just now, Dunnfc said:

I agree the gulf in quality in this and the championship cannot be underestimated, lenihan will do well in this league as its his level

He did well in the Championship, ergo that's his level at the moment. 

How many times did you see him play again? Once?

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

He did well in the Championship, ergo that's his level at the moment. 

How many times did you see him play again? Once?

He didn't do well he might have stood out in a rovers team but technically he's very very basic and hasn't kicked on. I asked you to name me some championship sides he'd start in, I'm waiting.

25 minutes ago, gumboots said:

This bit. And you'd have to say that it's odds on that they will mess it up. It's the one thing they've been consistently good at. That and not turning up. In fact they've done more boycotting than most boycotters! Clearly their utterly disgusted at their own incompetence.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

He didn't do well he might have stood out in a rovers team but technically he's very very basic and hasn't kicked on. I asked you to name me some championship sides he'd start in, I'm waiting.

It was such a stupid question I ignored it.

So, just to confirm, you've never seen him live?

Archived