SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, meadows said:

Albeit he wouldn't have made that much difference to the Final points tally whatever - in a season we almost went down - as we had 7 out of 9 when he arrived. 

I'd far sooner we had kept our powder dry and waited a bit for late window signings than acquiring Murphy Etuhu and Best who all signed In good time only to contribute very little 

Not that there hasn't been a smidgen of revisionism over Best, who was still being touted as the great hope months into his second season - not least by Andy Cryer who informed us that was what we'd all been missing after he played decently in a 3-1 win at Bournemouth. 

Not sure when Sam Gallagher signed but he didn't make the 18 till the third game, started for the first time in the fifth  

You'd say he finished the season in credit, a rare positive of a dreadful campaign, and seemed to handle the trauma of moving north after the season started  

I was expecting one of them winky smiley things at the end of your last sentence Jim. Trauma of moving north?

The players you mentioned were predominantly looking for a last pay day and the regime in situ at the time gave them exactly what they wanted namely lucrative, lengthy deals for very little in return. They had little or no desire and seemed to treat Rovers as a cash cow. I don't believe that is a fair comparison to what Mowbray wants in respect of the players he is looking to sign. I think these are hungry players with a point to prove and a bit of fire in the belly.

5 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Steven Taylor anyone...?

A quick look at his Wiki to see what he is up to these days showed me the phrase 'scored his first league goal against Blackburn Rovers'...I have honestly lost track of how many Wikipedia articles on players seem to use this phrase. It genuinely seems like about 50% of players who were playing in our league when they scored their first goal, scored it against us.

42 minutes ago, Biz said:

You've nothing to back it up with... thanks for making my point here, I expect most people will make assertions, predictions and cast their viewpoints from things that will "back up" those views. Otherwise, what's the difference in saying you think they'll invest a fortune in players, give season tickets away for free and get John Williams back?

You also said we'd spent/signed some players for an outlay of 1.25m, so how does this paranoid illusion stack up with the potential money to sell Lenihan as; never "being seen again"? You might feel that the current encumbnents would deliberately lose money and/or setup transfer business to spite and confuse the fans but that's another delusion as far as I'm concerned.  I suppose it hinges on your belief that either a or b is the scenario;

a. Our owners are clueless and inept, thus employ a poor structure

or

b. The previous 7 years are deliberate and part of a scheme to lose millions and/or force a club backwards 20 years.

We are in that debt because they ran the club poorly, and allowed contracts to be signed that went way above turnover levels. When you and others talk about money disappearing or the famous "trousering", its as if we are run by the Oyston family!

If offering big contracts to players and managers is not "being in debt from spunking it on players", then what is it? I agree wholeheartedly that the hangers on got their claws in and milked the club dry but that's not the discussion, could that happen again? ofcourse it could, and there are ample examples to back that up- most recent exhibit; Stokes!

There just is no ground to back up the initial post you made, its impossible. We are all frustrated and angry at what has gone on but a slice of reality would be nice you know, rather than just constant doom mongering predictions that bear little if any weight.

We're struggling here, Biz.

I am telling you, from the off, I have nothing to back it up with. Never once has it been portrayed as fact. Theres no difference in you saying they'll invest a fortune in players, give free season tickets away and re-hire John Williams. That's just another opinion - one that I think is a crazy one, but it doesn't necessarily mean its right or wrong!

I said I would bet on the sale of Lenihan already being agreed... which I would - in my opinion, its not crazy to think that way. Crazier things have happened at this Club in the past 7 years. In your opinion its crazy to suggest they would run it this way. 

The 1.25m figure and 'never being seen again' is on the basis that Alan Myers tweet saying the bid is around 2m + add ons is correct. I'm sure I don't have to do the maths for you, but for record it would be 1.25m spent, 750k + add ons 'never seen again'. The fact that you think that sounds delusional is again going back to where we started, opinion. 

Once again, for the big finale - which i'm sure you're going to quote me on - what you see as doom mongering, I see as reality. You call it impossible, I think its entirely plausible. I realise we don't agree on things and thats cool with me, you really don't have to keep quoting me on it! 

For the sake of everyone else, lets leave this here eh?

8 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Bids are still in for strikers and he's also happy with how the squad is coming along. It says so in the article.

Well let's prepare ourselves for more than one season in league one... It'll suit the chicken pluckers for whatever reason 

13 minutes ago, J*B said:

We're struggling here, Biz.

I am telling you, from the off, I have nothing to back it up with. Never once has it been portrayed as fact. Theres no difference in you saying they'll invest a fortune in players, give free season tickets away and re-hire John Williams. That's just another opinion - one that I think is a crazy one, but it doesn't necessarily mean its right or wrong!

I said I would bet on the sale of Lenihan already being agreed... which I would - in my opinion, its not crazy to think that way. Crazier things have happened at this Club in the past 7 years. In your opinion its crazy to suggest they would run it this way. 

The 1.25m figure and 'never being seen again' is on the basis that Alan Myers tweet saying the bid is around 2m + add ons is correct. I'm sure I don't have to do the maths for you, but for record it would be 1.25m spent, 750k + add ons 'never seen again'. The fact that you think that sounds delusional is again going back to where we started, opinion. 

Once again, for the big finale - which i'm sure you're going to quote me on - what you see as doom mongering, I see as reality. You call it impossible, I think its entirely plausible. I realise we don't agree on things and thats cool with me, you really don't have to keep quoting me on it! 

For the sake of everyone else, lets leave this here eh?

Oh I get it now, you'd like to post anything, without any substance, without question...

:) 

Just now, meadows said:

Fair points but Peter Whittingham (Who I think is a splendid capture)  on paper is not a greatly different signing to how Murphy and Etuhu were perceived at the time  ... and it's rather writing history backwards for everyone to now knowingly say they were terrible signings and We all knew it at the time

Few on here or elsewhere wrote them off as such at the time....I recall almost verbatim dozens of posts saying how Murphy would be Pirlo-like In running the midfield while Etuhu would do his donkey work for him

At least they were half right with the donkey allusions   

I'm sure Whittingham IS here  for a final pay  but if he performs with the dedication and distinction which has characterised his career And earns it then I've no problem with that....see previous posts here & there te McNamee, Moran, Cowans, Archibald etc

When it was mooted we were interested in Whittingham I feared the same given his age. I spoke to a friend who works for Cardiff and knows Whiitingham well. He told me is an excellent professional who trains hard and takes a lot of pride in his work. On the downside my friend said he comes across as aloof but when you get to know him he is fine. Like you I remember well some of the 'older' players we have had (albeit many from different generations) whose names should not be sullied because of a few arrogant has been with no professional pride.

On 2017-7-16 at 11:44, Mercer said:

I am quietly optimistic, so far, about the new season.

Think TM has made some decent signings for this level.

My big concern is the owners.  I would be very surprised if our our 'big three' (Mulgrew, Lenihan and Graham) are still with Rovers come 1 Sept..  Hope TM hasn't been led up the garden path!

I'm fresh out of rehab after you telling us all to relax and enjoy the football late last season.....

Good to hear from you again btw

1 hour ago, meadows said:

Gladwin's fee, while not necessarily substantial, wasn't necessarily negligible either. Smallwood & Whiitingham will have commanded decent signing in fees. 

To simplify that as £2m and a bit (which we haven't got yet) - £1.25 (which we haven't definitely spent yet) = £0.75m trousered/disappeared is nothing more than wild speculation and unwarranted innuendo  with 40-odd days of transfer business yet possible. 

If we do well this season I'll be happy. 

If we do well this season and show a net profit on transfers I'll perhaps be slightly more happy but inventing yet more accusatory and completely unfounded scenarios in mid close-season would seem to be the most desperate howl for attention of the rightly-ignored doom-mongerer at this stage. 

Usual over the top stuff. Why would you be more happy if we showed a net profit on Transfers? We've had years of them and look where we are!

44 minutes ago, J*B said:

Just opinion will do, Mr B. 

Nothing wrong with that, however it might help in future to base opinion on something a little more substantiated.

That way, you won't draw discussion that points out simplistic flaws. It is after all, a forum for discussing opinion on football? 

Transfer fees are very rarely paid in one instalment, additionally fees paid for accounting purposes get spread out and amortised over time on the balance sheet, i.e a 5million transfer fee player signing a four year deal would only effect the balance sheet at 1.25 million each year as opposed to a 5million lump hit. The killer has always been wages, so it makes no odds to be happy at net spending, if anything whilst we are away from FFP this year and under SCMP then we should be spending and rebuilding whilst it's easier.

Depends on the ambitions of the owners and as we know that is ZERO, in fact it's MINUS

4 hours ago, lraC said:

I think some people are forgetting just how badly this club has been shafted, just because we have made a couple of signings recently. We have paid money for players to perform in the third tier!. As you have quite correctly posted, we have spent a fortune on Best and for what? Add to that the likes of Etuhu, Murphy and more recently Stokes, amongst others. The money wasted on Keans wages and his pay off, together with the Berg fiasco and having 5 managers in one season. A few more quid went on people like Agnew being paid off and Deadly Derek and on agents fees, especially to JA and for Portugese no marks. When adding this little lot up, it doesn't take long to realise, why we are over £100 million in debt. I haven't got the patience to work out, if we have sold more players than we have bought, but I can see that either being the case, or close to it. This club has literally been torn apart, either deliberately or by total miss management, from top to bottom. Don't let anyone think that because we may now have a good manager and the slightest possibility, that a good season is on the way, that the past seven years hasn't happened.

Why would anyone think that? We all know what's happened to the club, although what we imagine to be the motives may differ. This doesn't mean things can't possibly improve at some point with the right manager. I think that seems to be the contentious point for some.

13 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Why would anyone think that? We all know what's happened to the club, although what we imagine to be the motives may differ. This doesn't mean things can't possibly improve at some point with the right manager. I think that seems to be the contentious point for some.

Even if things improve id discount this year completely. One relegation is bad two shouldn't happen.

We could win the prem under these Indian chancers and I'd still want them out. They'll never be forgiven or wanted.

9 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Even if things improve id discount this year completely. One relegation is bad two shouldn't happen.

We could win the prem under these Indian chancers and I'd still want them out. They'll never be forgiven or wanted.

If we won the Premiership in the next 3 seasons I would forgive them :lol:

17 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Completely meaning home & away?

Sad that a character like yourself wont be giving a match presence opinion/voice this coming season. Don't get me wrong I fully understand your view and others alike too, but its the rest of us that will be missing out.

As for winning the premiership...... League 1 Champions will do me at the moment. The rest is out of our control.

venkys out!

3 hours ago, meadows said:

Fair points but Peter Whittingham (Who I think is a splendid capture)  on paper is not a greatly different signing to how Murphy and Etuhu were perceived at the time  ... and it's rather writing history backwards for everyone to now knowingly say they were terrible signings and we all knew it at the time

Few on here or elsewhere wrote them off as such at the time....I recall almost verbatim dozens of posts saying how Murphy would be Pirlo-like running the midfield while Etuhu would do his donkey work for him

At least they were half right with the donkey allusions   

I'm sure Whittingham IS here  for a final pay  but if he performs with the dedication and distinction which has characterised his career & earns it then I've no problem with that....see previous posts here & there re McNamee, Moran, Cowans, Archibald etc

Whittingham was offered a new deal at Cardiff but chose to come here to play and for a fresh challenge (According to Neil Warnock). The wage offered by both clubs was believed to be 7k a week. On paper a very good signing to pull the strings. Our central midfield looks far stronger now then the last couple of seasons. Bennett will be extremely important this year. He can cover both wings but I think he can shine in the middle of the park. Great stamina, decent pace and wonderful attitude to cover the pitch.

Archived