SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I would imagine TM envisages attacking football in this league. We might not have the complete squad yet but I have total faith he will have what he wants by August 5th. Already had a tenner on 3-1 win first game. 

That would be a great start. Southend won't be bad. They have Phil Brown as manager and a decent strike force in Nile Ranger and Simon Cox. Came 7th last season. 

33 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

I still think were a bit off with the automatic places. For me if there going to be spending a bit of money they will probably need to go up at the first attempt due to the more money they will probably lose this season. We need goals and Im not convinved we are a cut above the rest. We may have signed 4 new midfielders but in all honesty we have only really signed 2 decent players in dack and whittingham. Gladwin and smallwood for me are unknown. We have only 1 striker, yes graham has good experience and track record but hes another year older (im not saying that he will be rubbish because of it, but I dont expect him to be carried by him for goals over 46 games, we need more than him). We need proven goalscroers in my view and obviuosly that costs money, just becuase we are linked with a guy from reading and arsenal that they have pace and are young deoesnt all of a sudden mean we will be scoring for fun or will it mean we are adding goals, in graham we have goals, we need a nother prolific striker of his calibre imo. I feel we will have a good 7/8 players in the squad for this league but the rest might just not be enough to earn automatic. I for one wish we had Beckford in our team along with graham. I feel it may not be as easy as people make out just because we have made signings.

Exactly this. I think we will be 3rd. Wigan will walk this league scoring 40 goals between Grigg and Bogle. A large league one squad depth wise team with a far superior midfield to most. Max Power, Nick Powell, Michael Jacobs, Sam Morsy really is a very good midfield at this level and most likely the best in the league. 

Bury, Portsmouth will end up in the play offs with us and AFC Wimbledon. I think in Neal Ardley theyve the next Eddie Howe type and someone building a young team with potential but very much a respected figure. I think Peterborough will just miss out on 6th. Bradford to claim 2nd have a largely an average squad but assembled over time so quite settled and I think Charlie wyke will score goals, they've also plenty of depth and judging by recent cup runs capable of beating anyone. Pompey like Bradford will be roared on by larger crowds I think themselves will scrape 5th simply on the bounce of this years promotion whilst signing some solid players at this level like Thompson from Swindon who was once highly rated before injuries. 

Bury for 4th in o"Connell from Celtic and Rovers ex target Tom Aldred along with Cameron they've a robust central defence.

Ajose, Lowe, Beckford all have scored 20 previously at this level not long ago whilst in Jay Oshea theyve got very much a Craig Conway type. 

34 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We will have more possession than our opponents most games. This will be exciting for us fans. Also exciting for young loan players who we are after, as it is a real platform to go and bang goals in. 

Hope your right but at this moment in time you have no evidence to back this up.

The platform may not be there.

As things stand Rovers need Imo 3 strikers for what's a very, very long season with games galore.

We have a proven striker in Graham who is good for 70 minutes but struggles for 2 games in a week.

A lot seem to be raving about Samuel and he's likely to sign, but him being a success is anyone's guess, given he has not had the joy of being a 50 game a season player .

Mowbray has conceded himself we need to be finding 80 goals plus in the league and at present, after a promising start to the window we have managed.

Dack - got promise, has performed very well in this division previously but will have to rediscover previous good form, add to that the pressure of being at big club, I just hope we don't put too much on his shoulders.

Whittingham - been a terrific player over the years , but let's not get too carried away. League 1 is no walk in the park. Rovers will be seen as a big scalp to most of this division. He will need to be up for getting a good kicking as I'm sure the tackles will come flying in. Set pieces are what he brings, but with no strikers yet on board, and the squad not brimming with warriors of the past to go flying in to win those 50/50s in the box, I do feel his quality could be wasted unless we beef up with some players who will put their head ,where others won't put their feet.

Smallwood - Relegated last year and will need to show he is better than Lowe, Guthrie and Akpan who have subsequently left. A good free transfer, but when the bookies have Rovers favorites to win the division, is he really that good and that much better than what's left. People who have watched league 1 will tell you, it's like the championship except you get kicked harder and have even less time on the ball.

Gladwin - Mowbray signed him based on a game he played against coventry, whilst at Swindon. He could be anything and is a Stokes style signing , in terms of nothing ventured , nothing gained.

I'm optimistic about the new season and feel Conway and Bennett are key for us more, than what has been signed to date.

Rovers spending a little bit of money , has of course got many of us giddy, me included at the time. However on reflection, there is lots of good business going on at other clubs and we need to show more intent in my opinion and bag some proven players especially in attack, who have 20 goals plus already on their CV for a seasons work. 

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Bury have signed about ten new players. Nicky Ajose from Charlton being the latest. Should be a decent strikeforce next season with him and Beckford. Lee Clarke is certainly going for it.

I can remember buckets outside ewood not that long ago begging for money for bury as they were on their arse, close to closure.

How are they seemingly flush now? :mellow:

48 minutes ago, JAL said:

Hope your right but at this moment in time you have no evidence to back this up.

The platform may not be there.

Mowbray and Whittingham have both said that this is the plan. The platform is there. We are missing focal points in attack though. Especially if DG gets injured 

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Hope Akpan has signed for Burton on a one year deal. Describing himself on their website he says he'll 'bring energetic displays' and 'likes a tackle'. I'll have a pint of what he's having.

Another way of saying he runs about a lot and commits fouls. Not too far off the mark in fairness. 

2 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

As things stand Rovers need Imo 3 strikers for what's a very, very long season with games galore.

We have a proven striker in Graham who is good for 70 minutes but struggles for 2 games in a week.

A lot seem to be raving about Samuel and he's likely to sign, but him being a success is anyone's guess, given he has not had the joy of being a 50 game a season player .

Mowbray has conceded himself we need to be finding 80 goals plus in the league and at present, after a promising start to the window we have managed.

Dack - got promise, has performed very well in this division previously but will have to rediscover previous good form, add to that the pressure of being at big club, I just hope we don't put too much on his shoulders.

Whittingham - been a terrific player over the years , but let's not get too carried away. League 1 is no walk in the park. Rovers will be seen as a big scalp to most of this division. He will need to be up for getting a good kicking as I'm sure the tackles will come flying in. Set pieces are what he brings, but with no strikers yet on board, and the squad not brimming with warriors of the past to go flying in to win those 50/50s in the box, I do feel his quality could be wasted unless we beef up with some players who will put their head ,where others won't put their feet.

Smallwood - Relegated last year and will need to show he is better than Lowe, Guthrie and Akpan who have subsequently left. A good free transfer, but when the bookies have Rovers favorites to win the division, is he really that good and that much better than what's left. People who have watched league 1 will tell you, it's like the championship except you get kicked harder and have even less time on the ball.

Gladwin - Mowbray signed him based on a game he played against coventry, whilst at Swindon. He could be anything and is a Stokes style signing , in terms of nothing ventured , nothing gained.

I'm optimistic about the new season and feel Conway and Bennett are key for us more, than what has been signed to date.

Rovers spending a little bit of money , has of course got many of us giddy, me included at the time. However on reflection, there is lots of good business going on at other clubs and we need to show more intent in my opinion and bag some proven players especially in attack, who have 20 goals plus already on their CV for a seasons work. 

Agree glen that it will be a long hard season in which we will need players who will scrap and win ugly at times. I think Smallwood will be good however I'd like us to add one more midfield workhorse, someone whos experienced and isn't afraid to get stuck in and scrap when the pitches become poor. Yes Evans and whittingham have the quality but should they get injured you start looking at Tomlinson and hardcastle and whilst they both look promising, to get out of this league you need a deep squad with lots of experience like Sheffield united had last season. 

I think dack will do well under mowbrays influence. I personally think gladwin has been brought in as a squad player, he's got experience in this league, can  play a number of positions and was a free, has lost his way abit but a good squad player in my eyes but don't see him in the first 11. Ideally you would want 4 strikers , assuming Samuel signs that's 2 , let's hope he gets a couple more loans in for the forward line. The games come think and fast, no international breaks in this league so injures mount up and a big squad  is needed 

10 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Marquis from Doncaster signed a new 3 year deal,would have liked to have seen us make a move for him.I'm sure someone said on here he had signed for Ipswich 

I would prefer to sign a player coming down a division n to get a start rather than a lad who has knocked around league 1 for years. 

A big worry for me is our goalkeeping position.

I think retaining Raya may well prove to be TM's biggest challenge on player retention.  He looked a class act when he established himself in the latter stages of last season and other clubs will have duly noted.

Steele is a liability, even at League One level, and will not be the answer.

Archived