BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy Status Retained

But Lambert was called out on it.

Media training is likely however, I suspect that it was part of his handshake to keep the peace. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he signed an NDA as well. Nobody who has left the club has said anything about the club or Venkys since leaving - not even Big Sam.

Venkys have had great indirect support from the 'football family'.

The use of NDA's is usually regarded as sound business practice - except with us where its really ''hush money''.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season tickets sales lower than at any time in the last 25 years, all thanks to the Venkys

I'd say get the message V's... but clearly after 6 years it hasn't cottoned on.

12 months maximum and a relegation this year should see us in admin at there request. Question is, does anyone hold any fixed or floating charges over the club presently?

I think they'll stave off Admin whilst we have players to sell by spacing out the sales then they'll hope to have others to sell in a year or two after promoting youth. Duffy will go in Jan if he doesn't go now then another one or two in summer.

We must have been close a few times in the past but they always seem to get by just winging it. Putting the accountant in charge is probably designed to stave it off by any means possible. If they are paying off external debt then if they get a clean slate they might have license to build it up again. That means we could be stuck with them in this same situation for another couple of years :)

It'll happen one day though I think as every other club who has gone down our route ends up like that eventually I think it's inevitable.

I think they'll stave off Admin whilst we have players to sell by spacing out the sales then they'll hope to have others to sell in a year or two after promoting youth. Duffy will go in Jan if he doesn't go now then another one or two in summer.

We must have been close a few times in the past but they always seem to get by just winging it. Putting the accountant in charge is probably designed to stave it off by any means possible. If they are paying off external debt then if they get a clean slate they might have license to build it up again. That means we could be stuck with them in this same situation for another couple of years :)

It'll happen one day though I think as every other club who has gone down our route ends up like that eventually I think it's inevitable.

Aye because Cheston is the cheaper alternative to a Trevor Birch.

At least Birch knows what to do and implements on a Long Term Basis.

Club requires X and only receives a depreciating Y... A couple of years will not happen. It's a boom and bust, see the inner workings of our friends at Bolton although we don't have Moonshift Investments (E.Davies) charging the club interest granted, we still don't have the inner breakdown of what is being paid to SBOI in respect of this. You'd have to assume closing the Barclays 10 mill overdraft at the time was more expensive than lending from abroad and associated exchange rates involved.

They are running knowing the agreement is against Venkys London Ltd, a company set up on behalf of Venketash Hatataries of which under 12 months old at the time means they will be the parent company over any debt borrowed from SBOI. Hence the player sales IMO to minimise this damage scenario.

Think someone said they could even be getting the money back or interest on it by way of stealth. Looking at the increasing staff levels on the books for a few years despite supposed cutbacks and the constant huge outgoings that never seem to go down despite those cuts I'd say there is a fair chance some money finds it's way back.

Can't blame them for that I suppose as it's common in football but they shouldn't be dressed up generous benefactors. I'm sure something goes on in the accounts which a huge annual paper loss has a benefit for something otherwise you'd think they'd have taken a huge round of hefty cutbacks years ago. They might be daft but I'm sure their financiers and accountants aren't. Surely they'd have put a stop to it.

Think someone said they could even be getting the money back or interest on it by way of stealth. Looking at the increasing staff levels on the books for a few years despite supposed cutbacks and the constant huge outgoings that never seem to go down despite those cuts I'd say there is a fair chance some money finds it's way back.

Can't blame them for that I suppose as it's common in football but they shouldn't be dressed up generous benefactors. I'm sure something goes on in the accounts which a huge annual paper loss has a benefit for something otherwise you'd think they'd have taken a huge round of hefty cutbacks years ago. They might be daft but I'm sure their financiers and accountants aren't. Surely they'd have put a stop to it.

I'd almost concur at Stealth, the way to professionally move money in order to never be seen or heard off again!

A proper stealth or fund would take a substantial period to yield though, maybe you were right in cutting losses as much as they have to result this but 10 years of this is unsustainable Christ 12 months is.

The latest news of losing interest in the club doesn't stack up to me otherwise they'd have viewed the Seneca proposal more seriously.

Hiding something. I'm dammed sure IMO.

The corner shop mentality trio of the Rao's needs outing.

Although this certainly can't be described as bad news, I do wonder how relevant it is? Am I correct in thinking we're the only club outside the top flight (or one of very very few) with this status? And also category A academies can basically pluck other clubs youngsters for a pittance? Then why aren't we doing that? If the plan is to invest in youth in the hope they'll be ready more quickly for the senior squad, we need to start recruiting platers who have the core ability to succeed at that level. Rather than nurturing players who might make it at league one level. It makes me wonder if our owners are a little to hung up on the profits they made from local lad Phil Jones. Need to broaden our horizons if you ask me.

Although this certainly can't be described as bad news, I do wonder how relevant it is? Am I correct in thinking we're the only club outside the top flight (or one of very very few) with this status? And also category A academies can basically pluck other clubs youngsters for a pittance? Then why aren't we doing that? If the plan is to invest in youth in the hope they'll be ready more quickly for the senior squad, we need to start recruiting platers who have the core ability to succeed at that level. Rather than nurturing players who might make it at league one level. It makes me wonder if our owners are a little to hung up on the profits they made from local lad Phil Jones. Need to broaden our horizons if you ask me.

I'm maybe showing my ignorance here PV but is that not how we got Hanley? (from Crewe)

I'm maybe showing my ignorance here PV but is that not how we got Hanley? (from Crewe)

I'm far from an expert in this field (or any other truth be told) but I'm sure I recall something being mentioned about this. Mainly from lower league clubs who signed up to the scheme knowing their young talents could be plucked for sod all. I think the kicker was a payment all top flight clubs make lower down the divisions. I'm sure I've got that wrong. But the worry was definitely voiced. Anyway, I believe the thinking was only premier league sides would be able or willing to achieve category A status. But we seem to have maintained it. Therefore it baffles me that we don't utilise it. Why pay for the upkeep and then never use the benefits.

Regarding Hanley, I'm fairly certain he'd have been signed before these revised rules came into play. I think these rules or regulations came into force long after he joined our ranks.

I'm far from an expert in this field (or any other truth be told) but I'm sure I recall something being mentioned about this. Mainly from lower league clubs who signed up to the scheme knowing their young talents could be plucked for sod all. I think the kicker was a payment all top flight clubs make lower down the divisions. I'm sure I've got that wrong. But the worry was definitely voiced. Anyway, I believe the thinking was only premier league sides would be able or willing to achieve category A status. But we seem to have maintained it. Therefore it baffles me that we don't utilise it. Why pay for the upkeep and then never use the benefits.

Regarding Hanley, I'm fairly certain he'd have been signed before these revised rules came into play. I think these rules or regulations came into force long after he joined our ranks.

Wonder how much of Hanley was indeed down to Terry McPhillips who Joined us from Crewe around the same time?

Glad we have got the accreditation, mad that Cheston references the owners, because without them it would be a run of the mill event, rather than positive news.

Not sure that it is positive news. Venkys always do what suits them, It's never about the club or the fans.

It seems to me that this is the one area of the club's operations that Venkys are interested in. Why would that be?

To build up a Premier League class home-made squad or to create a conveyer belt of young stars they can sell for big money which we will never see?

It won't work anyway, nothing they do ever does for a start and we can hardly compete for the best youth players against Premier League clubs.its no substitute for properly financing the senior squad.

Further it's a longer-term strategy which means a) we won't be promoted anytime soon and B) Venkys will be around for years awaiting the results.

I just want them gone.

No, there are a lot of clubs outside the Premier League with Category 1/A status. Ourselves, Wolves, Villa, Newcastle, Fulham, Norwich, Reading and Brighton. Bolton also had the same status until they gave it up as a cost cutting exercise.

I think it is something to be proud of that we boast the highest standard academy status. It shows that Jack Walker's legacy continues to live on at the club in some form and that in some respects we still sit at the top table in English football. Our academy is miles ahead of clubs like Burnley, Palace, Watford and Bournemouth.

The day we lose our status as a Category 1 academy will be another dark day in this club's recent history.

The other point is that the academy has actually paid for itself over the last 5-6 years. I'm not sure on the precise figure, but running a Category 1 academy is expected to cost between £2 and £3 million per year. Two of our academy products in Phil Jones and Grant Hanley have been sold for a minimum of £23 million since Venkys arrived on the scene, and that huge chunk of cash ought to fund the academy for up to 8 years.

I'm not sure how much credit Venkys deserve for maintaining Category 1 status. Obviously they could have cut funding and lost the status if they had wanted to, however the club already boasted the majority of the facilities before they arrived, the funding and infrastructure was all in place before their takeover, so in many respects allowing it to continue is merely part of their obligation as club owners in meeting our annual running costs. I'm not sure what improvements or changes have taken place at Brockhall in recent years to continue to meet the criteria.

But, as I'm not sure, well done Venkys. The academy is something this club should be proud of and thankful to Jack Walker for. Presumably part of the reason they are content to keep funding it is because they see it as an alternative to pouring money into transfers and hope that the club will unearth another Jones/Hanley in the next couple of years to make a huge profit on.

Not sure that it is positive news. Venkys always do what suits them, It's never about the club or the fans.

It seems to me that this is the one area of the club's operations that Venkys are interested in. Why would that be?

To build up a Premier League class home-made squad or to create a conveyer belt of young stars they can sell for big money which we will never see?

It won't work anyway, nothing they do ever does for a start and we can hardly compete for the best youth players against Premier League clubs.its no substitute for properly financing the senior squad.

Further it's a longer-term strategy which means a) we won't be promoted anytime soon and B) Venkys will be around for years awaiting the results.

I just want them gone.

It's amazing how they've been here 6 years yet only really seem to have taken an interest in it in the last couple of years. Needs must that's why after the parachutes can't be borrowed against anymore and the players to sell at first team level will be all but gone after the next round of sales.

Not saying it's a bad thing attention and funds are now on this but as usual with them it's the way it's come about. Proper attention to this 5 years ago and we'd be seeing the benefits now.

But Lambert was called out on it.

Media training is likely however, I suspect that it was part of his handshake to keep the peace. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he signed an NDA as well. Nobody who has left the club has said anything about the club or Venkys since leaving - not even Big Sam.

Venkys have had great indirect support from the 'football family'.

Lambert would not have signed a NDA. He resigned, you only sign an NDA as part of what is known as a Settlement Agreement if you are pushed out of the door with a pay off.

Archived