BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy Status Retained

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A welcome bit of good news.

"It comes with massive benefits for the football club, in terms of the calibre of player we can go out and recruit, both locally and nationally, as well as the games programme and the quality of opposition our youth teams will compete against, which can only be beneficial for their development as young players.”

• Backroom

Hopefully at some point the academy will start producing players who can have a serious influence on the first team. Lenihan aside the last few years have been utterly barren.

Hopefully at some point the academy will start producing players who can have a serious influence on the first team. Lenihan aside the last few years have been utterly barren.

Another legacy of Kean/Anderson/SEM.

I'm sure Myles will break through eventually to replace Hanley

Genuine question... did this need saying as the opening sentence...

Rovers Director Mike Cheston said: I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Owners for their continued support for the Academy. Without their financial backing the Academy would not have been able to achieve Category 1 status once again."

It just come across as brown-nosing.

That aside, this is another contradiction. When Venkys finally leave we will lose the Academy status, if Cheston's comments are true. So even though we are being treated to the worst football, under divisive conditions and crowds are suffering, we are still nowhere near being self-funding.

We can't expect to have decent players because we can't afford the wages let alone fees, and we need to be able to cut our cloth accordingly. Yet we have youth facilities at a standard beyond the club's means.

If it's costing Venkys more to run than the club gets in return then what is the point? How does this benefit us? Unless we are reducing the club's total running costs to prioritise the academy? But that's a gamble as relegation from the Championship would mean that we don't have much of a shop window to sell to. I wonder if paying £8m for a League One player gave them ideas about the kind of money you could make there!

Everything Venkys do is backward. Or so long term that they get bitten when the reality dawns - with things like relegation, or a proper manager walking - that a football club is nothing without the success of its first team.

Great news. Well done to all the staff involved in our academy doing brilliantly to maintain it at the top level, in spite of all that has gone/goes on above them.

However, I shan't thank Venky's for funding something I believe they have a duty to.

Genuine question... did this need saying as the opening sentence...

Rovers Director Mike Cheston said: I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Owners for their continued support for the Academy. Without their financial backing the Academy would not have been able to achieve Category 1 status once again."

It just come across as brown-nosing.

That aside, this is another contradiction. When Venkys finally leave we will lose the Academy status, if Cheston's comments are true. So even though we are being treated to the worst football, under divisive conditions and crowds are suffering, we are still nowhere near being self-funding.

We can't expect to have decent players because we can't afford the wages let alone fees, and we need to be able to cut our cloth accordingly. Yet we have youth facilities at a standard beyond the club's means.

If it's costing Venkys more to run than the club gets in return then what is the point? How does this benefit us? Unless we are reducing the club's total running costs to prioritise the academy? But that's a gamble as relegation from the Championship would mean that we don't have much of a shop window to sell to. I wonder if paying £8m for a League One player gave them ideas about the kind of money you could make there!

Everything Venkys do is backward. Or so long term that they get bitten when the reality dawns - with things like relegation, or a proper manager walking - that a football club is nothing without the success of its first team.

I noticed that and thought if he isn't on the wind up then it was something pre-wrote for him.

Investing and providing "upkeep" to the stadium facilities and academy/training grounds are exempt from FFP regulations they are also excluded from Profit lines and forms of VAT. This cock womble doesn't realize we've sold 30 million quid worth of players for 2 million change in the academy.

I was at the ground though at the end of last season, is it me or does even that look like it's declined in recent years. Needs a good wash and paint job in places.

I noticed that and thought if he isn't on the wind up then it was something pre-wrote for him.

Investing and providing "upkeep" to the stadium facilities and academy/training grounds are exempt from FFP regulations they are also excluded from Profit lines and forms of VAT. This cock womble doesn't realize we've sold 30 million quid worth of players for 2 million change in the academy.

I was at the ground though at the end of last season, is it me or does even that look like it's declined in recent years. Needs a good wash and paint job in places.

It certainly does!

Re the 'Thank the owners' thing; its just standard PR - even Lambert said similar in his exit interview. Don't recall anyone describing it as 'brown nosing' then?*

*Disclaimer - this does not make me a Venky apologist/Lambert basher/Cheston lover. Just stating a fact.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Owners for their continued mismanagement of the Club. Without their financial ineptitude the Club would not have been able to achieve £100m+ of debt or assemble the worst squad in living memory.

To the Rao family, we are truly grateful.

It's sickening yet again, maybe the clubs income of something like 300 million in the last 6 years might have something to do with running the academy as well as the rest of the club. His words should have been we thank the owners for not closing it down and realising that in a couple of years this will be our sole source of players for the first team.

As always with Venkys there is no credit to give unless we see receipts.

It certainly does!

Re the 'Thank the owners' thing; its just standard PR - even Lambert said similar in his exit interview. Don't recall anyone describing it as 'brown nosing' then?*

*Disclaimer - this does not make me a Venky apologist/Lambert basher/Cheston lover. Just stating a fact.

It surely didn't need to be the opening line.

How about, "this is great news for the club and for the academy players and staff"? Maybe even "this is great news for the long term future of the club and the fans should see this as really good news"? Even if we may have more pressing concerns.

How about coming out and explaining the long term plan for the club? Because at the minute it's all just words. The facts of the matter are that once again the first team players are being sold and advertised and the academy is being protected. The immediate future does not look good, so what's being traded? Talk to us, Cheston. Talk to all of the fans, not just a select few. What is the big secret? Lack of openness, together with visible reduction in quality (again) leads to lack of trust. Every decision or appointment is now under suspicion. Why is there no money? Why can't our caring owners find a way around FFP like every other club seems to?

Wolves, Brentford and Rovers are the only teams with a current window income to have spent nothing on transfer fees, and our profit is double theirs - combined - at £5.5m.

Last season we spent nothing on transfers either and yet brought in £22m - in transfers alone!!

Where is all of the money going? Because £2m for the academy is chicken feed in comparison.

really pleased that we have kept our status.

hopeful starts to bring through some players. we should producing at least 2 players a season imo

We'll have to bring 2 through. These lot like to sell their best 2 players a season.

• Backroom

I remember quite a few people, including myself, expressing irritation at that line to be fair.

It surely didn't need to be the opening line.

It was also Paul Lambert's, which was the point I'm making Stuart. I don't think we are disagreeing here really, I'm just pointing out that people are overreacting to what is essentially just media training in action.

I remember quite a few people, including myself, expressing irritation at that line to be fair.

Fair do's DE - I was another who was not happy that he used it either, given his reasons for walking away!!

It was also Paul Lambert's, which was the point I'm making Stuart. I don't think we are disagreeing here really, I'm just pointing out that people are overreacting to what is essentially just media training in action.

But Lambert was called out on it.

Media training is likely however, I suspect that it was part of his handshake to keep the peace. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he signed an NDA as well. Nobody who has left the club has said anything about the club or Venkys since leaving - not even Big Sam.

Venkys have had great indirect support from the 'football family'.

Glad we have got the accreditation, mad that Cheston references the owners, because without them it would be a run of the mill event, rather than positive news.

Archived