BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Norwich City

I was absolutely ready to watch us get destroyed today but actually watching it was horrific, one of the sorriest displays I've seen from a squad full of utterly feckless players. Adam Henley is disgustingly bad at this level, Marshall and Akpan seemingly played wherever they wanted to, the midfield was disjointed and disorganised, it's almost as though the person supposed to organise the team is an utter incompetent.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worrying and frightening thing about today was not getting totally humiliated and outplayed at home but the very fact that many on here expected the result beforehand, there was a certain inevitability about it. Never thought I'd be sat there watching a Rovers team 3-0 down against Norwich, with all due respects, and be thinking yeah that's about right considering the difference in quality between the two sides.

The frustration is the problems that everyone knew before the game were clear to see in the game. I'm not one for overly criticising players but Adam Henley had another shocker comparable to his poor one in the FA Cup against West Ham last season. The kid was given a five year contract at the club and in my opinion, there's been no noticeable improvement in his play during that time. Everyone would love to see players from the academy come through and succeed at first team level but there comes a point where you have to say a player just simply isn't good. Our two previous managers both came to the conclusion that Henley wasn't good enough to be starting at right-back, even though he was the only natural right-back in the squad. That tells it's own story and now due to lack of investment in the team he's somehow become our first choice left-back, he's an average right-back at best and an even worse left-back. Three of the four Norwich came as a result of his poor play/down his side of the pitch. Everyone knew the fullback area was a weakness and yet we haven't brought in any players to strengthen that area other than Hendrie the loanee, who if he can't manage to displace Henley from the team I have to presume he's not very good either, although I'll hold back judgment until I've actually seen him play. I don't think Lowe was particularly good either to be honest and it is a very contentious decision to make him captain in my opinion. I think Duffy or Lenihan seem more like captain material and seem to be more leaders and communicative on the pitch.

Arguably our best fullback last season was Marshall, who maybe understandably was used further up the pitch given our lack of quality in those areas. But I'd move him back to right-back and focus on trying to bring in better players in attacking areas. He was another player who totally went missing today.

Henley and Lowe weren't by any means the only culprits in a woeful first half performance. We set up in a very defensive 4-1-4-1 formation with Lenihan shielding the back four with Akpan and Marshall in central midfield. I honestly think Coyle realised the limitations of our squad compared to that of Norwich's and thought we'll set up to keep it tight and hopefully nick a goal or keep it at 0-0 and bring some subs of the bench in the second half to try and win the game. If that was the plan it was soon out the window with us being carved open with ease.

If we can cling onto any positives it is the fact that the new signings impressed me a lot. Greer looks a potential improvement on Ward in my opinion but Hanley was always going to be a big miss both as captain and as our best defender, we are going to be a lot weaker defensively this season without him. Feeney looks much improved from his brief loan spell at the club, or maybe if I was playing devil's advocate you could say the Rovers team have dropped to his level in the time he's been away. Stokes got man of the match despite only being an half-time sub, looks a good player and a nice header for our goal. Byrne came on and made a good impact on the game, looked a very neat and tidy player on the ball. Could be just the sort of player we need in midfield, should be starting ahead of Akpan.

We won't play teams as good as Norwich every week but there's plenty of things to be worried about. We desperately need more players bringing in to improve on what we've already got. If what was on display today is the best we've got come the end of the transfer window I dare say, like many people on here fear, we could be heading for a relegation battle.

spot on

Where do we go from here?

It's all p1ss and wind, this will continue until Rome starts to burn Stuart, but sadly the majority of our spoon fed success bred fans have no idea how to fight and protest.

Best just to hide under the duvet until those thick swines in Pune decide to leave on their own steam.

• Backroom

League 1 seems obvious.

We cannot arrest the slide while Venkys are here.

Yep, League 1 is without a doubt the destination once this season comes to its bitter end. The only question is whether that's enough to push Venky's out the door, or whether their reign of terror will continue unabated.

Where do we go from here?

Akpan, Lowe, Steele and Henley must never wear a blue and white shirt ever again. They need replacing and moving on asap.

Coyle needs to learn quickly who his best team is, and on todays display it includes Byrne in midfield and Stokes partnering Graham upfront. Greer also needs to play in defence. Marshall should be given a role more suited to his abilities. We need a captain that can lead by example and doesn't shamble through the game, and actually communicates to his team mates.

And Venkys need to eff off.

Yep, League 1 is without a doubt the destination once this season comes to its bitter end. The only question is whether that's enough to push Venky's out the door, or whether their reign of terror will continue unabated.

That is the only crumb of comfort today .....What is the lowest points total in this division .....

• Backroom

Can't help but get the feeling part of Coyley's remit is to try and raise Lowe and Henley's value for more profits. Academy product + transfer fee = profits, I suppose. Why else give Lowe the armband? Why give Henley, unimpressive from day one, a five year contract? Why start Henley out of position at LB when we have an actual LB on the bench?

Fortunately, Henley at the very least is so bad that wee Owen will, much like every other manager who's had to work with him, end up having no choice but to drop him.

I genuinely don't know if league 1 would get rid of them, largely because I don't know why they are here.

You can remove certain theories immediately. Their actions are not those by people who want the best for the club.

As others have already said previously, they probably have too many skeletons in the closet and selling us will let them out.

Man for man, they looked two divisions better than us.

The lack of transfer funding over the last couple of seasons is now/will continue to bite us on the ass.

What you don't need after you've sat through a hammering is to come home and read smug and gloating posts on the match thread, that made me angrier than the defeat.

I genuinely don't know if league 1 would get rid of them, largely because I don't know why they are here.

You can remove certain theories immediately. Their actions are not those by people who want the best for the club.

As others have already said previously, they probably have too many skeletons in the closet and selling us will let them out.

Venkys wont know we are in league 1

Coyle can make all the excuses he wants, but at the end of the day:

He signed his own left back, then played the pitiful Henley out of position ahead of him.

He signed his own central midfielder, yet played the woeful Akpan ahead of him.

He signed his own striker,yet didn't start him.

He made one of the meekest, technically inept players you have ever seen as captain, when he shouldnt be at the club.

He played Marshall and Bennett out of position, when he had the likes of Conway, Byrne and Stokes on the bench.

Coyle out or we will go down.

Coyle can make all the excuses he wants, but at the end of the day:

He signed his own left back, then played the pitiful Henley out of position ahead of him.

He signed his own central midfielder, yet played the woeful Akpan ahead of him.

He signed his own striker,yet didn't start him.

He made one of the meekest, technically inept players you have ever seen as captain, when he shouldnt be at the club.

He played Marshall and Bennett out of position, when he had the likes of Conway, Byrne and Stokes on the bench.

Coyle out or we will go down.

When will people start to realise it's not Coyles fault, Chestons or Lamberts, it's Venkys fault and until fans start to protest against the owners it's sh1t after sh1t after sh1tt.

Moaning, whinging and bitching for 22 pages and I include myself in that.

Lamberts fault, Bowyers fault, Coyles fault, Gav's fault......

ITS VENKYS BL00DY FAULT, and the longer everyone sits on their hands doing Fook all it'll continue.

Some of you need to grow a pair of balls and get protesting, its the only way to get rid of these ****s.

1-4 thrashing at home and not even a dissenting voice against those rats in Pune.

Embarrassing.

I was protesting in the fairly early days of Kean when you were probably still celebrating the sacking of Big Sam. We had something to fight for then, our PL status and ever rising fortune in TV money. Some of repeated until we were blue in the face how that must be preserved at all costs while during the Sam era others came out with the likes of "I'd rather watch passing football in the Championship than hoofball in this league".

And who was held up as an example of a good football successful manager? That's right, Coyle!! I remember it well, him and the likes of Holloway and Laudrup.

Anyway, my main point is I protested when there was something significant to be done. What is to be done now? We get 11,000 home fans paying peanuts for their season tickets. So we have no money. No money means nobody wants to buy us, nobody of stature wants to manage us, nobody of stature wants to play for us.

Everything we had that marked us out from the Prestons/Oldhams/Blackpools of this world has gone so get rid of Venkys and what will happen? Nothing pretty much, we'll likely bounce around the Championship/League 1 anyway because that's now the revenue of the club.

Archived