BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Olympics

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Is there anything to stop someone just cycling as fast as they can from the start in the sprint? Seems weird that they do that cat and mouse thing.

I always wondered that but my girlfriend's dad said something about it being an advantage to the person behind being in the slipstream of the person in front.

Rowing, cycling, horse racing, motorsports - Great Britain king of sitting down sports!

Is there anything to stop someone just cycling as fast as they can from the start in the sprint? Seems weird that they do that cat and mouse thing.

Nope, does happen sometimes.

Don't really understand the durney bike, why not either allow them to race, or just have a shorter race?

Lots of medals for team GB but the whole games are spoiled for me because Jessica Ennis only got silver. I really wanted her to retain her gold more than any other event.

Do I fancy her - Yes I do and I'm not ashamed of that.

KJT looks terrible compared to yesterday she looks like she hasn't slept and is stomping around like a petulant teenager

Yeah. No pun intended but that was poor form. I felt she needed a shake and someone to tell her to get a grip - kind of like watching Rovers - defeated before even competing. From what I've seen of her she seems very flakey and doesn't have the mental attitude to become a champion. Even her comments at the end saying that "it's hard for her and she's only 23" seemed a bit weak - especially since the celebrating gold medallist was (is) 2 years younger than her. Regardless you'll hardly win a Heptathlon event if you've got 2 appallingly weak events.

Though even the great J Ennis - professional as she is - chose a baby over retaining her Olympic title and bowing out in style. Maybe you can blame her husband for that.

Once you lose your 'edge' or get too wrapped up in a cushy life. It can be the end for you at the very top level - Some of these guys obviously lost focus. I felt the same happened to Rutherford - when I saw his pre- event interviews about him blubbing over his baby etc. I just thought WTF this guy has lost it - and so it proved - lucky to get a bronze in the end. It happens all the time.

Rebecca Adlington anyone? I was shocked to discover she's still only 27.

Mo is a machine though. He's actually upped his game in recent years. Did anyone see that documentary about him?

I dont think KJT looked petulant, more completely lost at how to deal with the pressure.

She needs a proper throwing coach - Jess brought in Mick Hill several years ago and has improved no end - and also she needs a sports psychologist too - to try and help her deal with the pressure.

I think that's the end for Jess, I think she'll retire and have more children, do more work on coaching kids and get a spot on the couch at BBC Olympic coverage. She done incredibly well, and don't forget it took someone to get 5 personal bests in 7 events to narrowly beat her.

No, but for the vast majority of the time whoever did that would lose. The other cyclist just has to sit on the wheel saving about 20% of energy and then just accelerate past on the last lap. Occasionally the element of surprise might give someone the chance to get a gap and if they are strong enough they could stay away but it's a big risk.

[quote name="Baz" post="1683273" timestamp="1471120315

Don't really understand the durney bike, why not either allow them to race, or just have a shorter race?

The derney bike just brings the race up to a set speed (I think 40 or 45kph). If the derney wasn't there you would have a cat and mouse game like the sprint for the first few laps except with 6 riders rather than 2.

Chuffed for rose. No mean feat holding off Henrick stenson in the form of his life. The USA look very strong for Ryder cup this year so need these two at the peak of their powers.

Just watching Germany vs Canada women's beach volleyball. Dam fine sport. Hope Sweden are still in it could be tremendous Sunday evening viewing.

Think it's worth commenting on the excellent job Claire Balding is doing as the anchor woman. Her enthusiasm is truly infectious.

Just a pity the coverage is so amateurish and by that I mean chopping and changing channels for the likes of the news and Eastenders :wacko:

Turn over for 30 minutes, turn back for 30 minutes.

I like the BBC, they have to work within a budget, but my god its like going back in time chopping and changing.

Think it's worth commenting on the excellent job Claire Balding is doing as the anchor woman. Her enthusiasm is truly infectious.

I was going to mention how clueless she's been today. All over the place with her lack of info (just like the channel hopping).

The tennis final is immense - Power vs speed and fitness.

THANK GOD FOR VPN SOFTWARE! :tu: . . .as there has supposedly been a bbc Olympics coverage blackout.

Just a pity the coverage is so amateurish and by that I mean chopping and changing channels for the likes of the news and Eastenders :wacko:

Turn over for 30 minutes, turn back for 30 minutes.

I like the BBC, they have to work within a budget, but my god its like going back in time chopping and changing.

Agreed. Couple of nights ago I was watching the GB hockey team when with 10 minutes to and the game level, they cut away to show some 'live' boxing, where they showed 2 mins of build-up and interviews, then about a minute of a walk-over fight against a no-mark, then went back to show the goal they had then missed from the hockey, forgot to say someone had been yellow carded, and showed the last 3 minutes live.

Also when they are moving from BBC1 to 2 or back, theres no need to do the titles, or have Claire Balding with a quick catch up. Just keep showing the bloomin live sport. You can catch up when theres a break in play.

I was going to mention how clueless she's been today. All over the place with her lack of info (just like the channel hopping).

The tennis final is immense - Power vs speed and fitness.

THANK GOD FOR VPN SOFTWARE! :tu: . . .as there has supposedly been a bbc Olympics coverage blackout.

Interesting how opinions differ. I think the tennis final is very poor. Murray is beating himself with poor serving and plenty of unforced errors.

First gold in golf for 112 years and it's ours! Well done Justin Rose, one of the best men in sport.

Brilliant. Makes up for the lovely Jessica only getting silver.

Archived