BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Vs Mansfield Efl Cup

If we get knocked out tomorrow, it will be the fifth consecutive season that we've been knocked out by lower league opposition (and on each occasion it was our first game in the tournament).

At least Coyle can do no worse than his predecessors.

Fabulous Venky's track record in a competition we won recently...

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we please just play our strongest team, in their strongest formation (4-4-2) and get on with it. I think mediocre players are far more comfortable in that formation as everyone has a back up. When you start trying to force players into different formations it almost always goes wrong.

At least Coyle can do no worse than his predecessors.

Fabulous Venky's track record in a competition we won recently...

He can. I am sure losing to Mansfield would mark an all time Venky era low as regards the opposition and were they have been recently (5 years in non league)

Yes that was my thinking on Greer, use him wisely points at Wigan are more important than this. On Henley if he can't play in his natural spot v lower opposition then he might as well be shown the door now. Loan him and use his wages towards a proper RB or LB on loan.

The performance by both team and manager v Shrewsbury last season was very poor but the pros playing second fiddle let themselves and everyone else down that night. The one bright spot was O'Sullivan I thought who at least kept trying to make things happen although they never came off.

If some of this youth are ever going to make the step up then one or two should be in games like this imo.

Unfortunately this could have been said for the matches against MK Dons, Carlisle and Scunthorpe as well as Shrewsbury...here is hoping tonight is fifth time lucky. At least its a new ground ticked off the list if the worst does happen (again). :blink:

Unfortunately this could have been said for the matches against MK Dons, Carlisle and Scunthorpe as well as Shrewsbury...here is hoping tonight is fifth time lucky. At least its a new ground ticked off the list if the worst does happen (again). :blink:

It's not even a new ground for me.

True but if you can't blood a couple of them in these games when your desperately trying to protect a wafer thin first 11 then there's not much point carrying them.

I'd almost just turn out the entire academy side sometimes because I reckon out of the games you've mentioned they'd have at least got a result in one of them. Couldn't do any worse than the mixture of players that were turned out in those.

Of course fans would need pre warning well in advance before deciding whether to buy a ticket or not.

Fully expect Rovers to win tonight.

Coyle will know that a defeat tonight will only serve to dent confidence even further and ratchet up the pressure ahead of Saturday's visit to Wigan.

Think he will pick his strongest available team and we will run out comfortable winners.

L2 opponents, potential banana skin, don't buy it. We HAVE to win tonight and we will - we have enough match winners for opponents like Mansfield.

Raya

Lowe-Wharton-Duffy-Hendrie

Feeney-Lenihan-Byrne-Marshall

Stokes-Graham

I have my doubts about whether Byrne is defensively sound enough to play in a two-man midfield, but Mansfield seems like a good place to try it out. Hendrie can't be any worse than Henley last Saturday, Wharton is part of the squad now and needs to be blooded, and I still believe that Raya has enough about him to outcompete Steele.

Fully expect Rovers to win tonight.

Coyle will know that a defeat tonight will only serve to dent confidence even further and ratchet up the pressure ahead of Saturday's visit to Wigan.

Think he will pick his strongest available team and we will run out comfortable winners.

L2 opponents, potential banana skin, don't buy it. We HAVE to win tonight and we will - we have enough match winners for opponents like Mansfield.

We'll that's nailed it for me.

Mansfield 3 Rovers 1 (550 unhappy Roverites, but how will they react ? )

If Mercer's saying a win for Rovers then I fully expect an absolute caning.

Mansfield 4 Rovers 0.

A foretelling of fire, devastation, death, disaster, locusts, gimp masks, Coronation Street omnibus, tripe sandwiches, donuts for tea and monogrammed socks for the first eleven. And that's just the rest of this week.

• Backroom

Let's be honest no Matter how bad we are we should still expect to win games like tonight.

No excuses for playing a 'weakened' side we don't have the depth for that nor many on the fringes worth trying

With most of our current crop being league 1 standard anyway this isn't as much of a mismatch as some would have us think.

Away from home, clueless manager and Mansfield winning away from home on Saturday:

2-1 Mansfield

• Backroom

I'd give Mahoney and Doyle (classic cop duo) a go tonight, maybe even Wharton. We need to see how they cope as we might need them later in the season.

I agree to an extent, but would prefer this to be from the bench. We need to start with intent imo, meaning the eleven vs Wigan.

I'd give Mahoney and Doyle (classic cop duo) a go tonight, maybe even Wharton. We need to see how they cope as we might need them later in the season.

Cue the detective jokes. I hope we are going to be true professionals tonight.

Mercer why are you doing the whole 'Rovers to win comfortably' thing again given your pitiful success rate last season and for game week 1?

We SHOULD win comfortably.

We are a Championship side playing a L2 side and there is a huge gulf in class between the two divisions.

Our lot have a lot to do to redeem themselves after Saturday's shambles.

We need some confidence and momentum and Coyle has to play his strongest team available.

If the likes of Conway, Marshall, Graham, Stokes, Byrne etc have not got enough in their locker to see off Mansfield with some ease then we really are in trouble.

Surely this is as logical as Wednesday following Tuesday ?

Not a new ground for me either, my last visit was in the seventies I think

Same as me. I recall a 1-0 win for Rovers with a Micky Hickman header. The Leyland Blues were directly behind the net when he scored.

Until I saw this thread I thought we were playing Cardiff away tonight.

Archived