BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Burton Albion Game Thread.

One thing I did notice on Saturday was we seemed to keep and pass the ball much better than last season when we constantly gave the ball away.

The possession stats don't back that up Paul, Vital football has it down as 58/42 in Burton's favour.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stuff the stats. Paul was at the game.

Surprising and disappointing comment that Al if you don't mind me saying.

My response was in no way derogatory to Paul, just stating a fact.

I know you (quite rightly) dislike anyone questioning your right to go to Ewood whereas your comment seems to question my right to comment on an openly available stat based on the fact I didn't go to the game.

Stuff the stats. Paul was at the game.

The statts provide proof that Burton were the better side.. And yes I was at the game and definitely thought we were second best.. IMHO a better team than Burton would of killed us off before half time despite conways strike.. Burton are not a favorite for the drop for no reason with every major bookie

I"d be careful about that claim. It doesn't matter for a start,the objective of the game is not to hold on to the ball for longer than the opponent but to score more goals.

See the stats on Burnley v Liverpool from MOD? Burnley had less than 18% of possession but won 2-0. A historical low from Burnley apparently!

So who was the better team?

I bet Sam has no doubts!

I"d be careful about that claim. It doesn't matter for a start,the objective of the game is not to hold on to the ball for longer than the opponent but to score more goals.

See the stats on Burnley v Liverpool from MOD? Burnley had less than 18% of possession but won 2-0. A historical low from Burnley apparently!

I bet Sam has no doubts!

Ha ha your right there it's all about putting the ball in the net yet some on here advocated selling our leading goalscorer not very long ago.

As for Saturday we rarely threatened..

I know you (quite rightly) dislike anyone questioning your right to go to Ewood whereas your comment seems to question my right to comment on an openly available stat based on the fact I didn't go to the game.

We now get the fans who are attending stating that other fans have no right to comment. How daft.

Those attending get hot and bothered if it is suggested they shouldn't go. But then they get hot and bothered about those not going commenting on the matches the hot and bothered person attended. Then those not going get hot and bothered with those attending supporting the clueless owners and managerial patsy with their finances.

Round and round we go. I think hot and bothered is the new blue and white. Think its all a tad childish to be fair.

From the word go I wanted a united front from the fans. Six years on we are as far away from that as before, even though more have cottoned on of late.

One thing I did notice on Saturday was we seemed to keep and pass the ball much better than last season when we constantly gave the ball away.

Difference Paul - we gave the ball away under Lambert in the opposition half because we had a more direct style of play. We also had the organisation to be pressing in the right shape.

The grim reality of Saturday for me is that is all gone. I watched the defensive line to see if we pressed but it appeared nobody would move without Greer! Who is understandably likely to be deeper without pace to cover. The centre mids pressed the ball but the gap between caused us havoc from second balls and knock downs. Without the shape to stop this, we couldn't get the ball... At home to Burton!

I think coyle recognised this at one point and put Lenihan (as opposed to thinking we needed to up the tempo all round, get more width and find the target men!) on to sit and break up play, but we scored from the next set piece (against run of play) and then sat back in our own half!

The very basics of defending are gone. I appreciate the change in personel is partly to blame but we need a proper defensive shape when being attacked - only one of the wingers is helping out, Marshall deserves a lot of stick for his part in our poor defending, he's got to help out - Conway did well in the first half against Burton with Lowe on right, but the goal is another cross that should be stopped from the left! I thought Hendrie was marginally better than Henley, and that's a relief.

Organisation is key, people who have noted DGs lack of impact so far are pointing at his contract! It's not, it's just misuse of his abilities. We don't have a player in the team who can hold the ball up for others like DG but he was often last man on Saturday or from a long ball ignored for Gallagher. We had some periods of short sideways passing (which causes the illusion that we are "playing good football") because of a lack of movement coupled with Burton having an organised back line and midfield.

I was as grim at 90 minutes as I have been for some time.

That too is a disappointing comment if I'm allowed to say. Personally I'd take Paul's (who was at the game) opinion before statistics and someone who did not attend any time. You know the saying, lies, damned lies and statistics.

The statts provide proof that Burton were the better side.. And yes I was at the game and definitely thought we were second best.. IMHO a better team than Burton would of killed us off before half time despite conways strike.. Burton are not a favorite for the drop for no reason with every major bookie

Stats prove nothing but if you were at the game I'll respect your opinion even if I do not agree with it.

We now get the fans who are attending stating that other fans have no right to comment. How daft.

Those attending get hot and bothered if it is suggested they shouldn't go. But then they get hot and bothered about those not going commenting on the matches the hot and bothered person attended. Then those not going get hot and bothered with those attending supporting the clueless owners and managerial patsy with their finances.

Round and round we go. I think hot and bothered is the new blue and white. Think its all a tad childish to be fair.

From the word go I wanted a united front from the fans. Six years on we are as far away from that as before, even though more have cottoned on of late.

How daft? I think that is fair comment. How can you comment on what you have not witnessed?

• Backroom

How daft? I think that is fair comment. How can you comment on what you have not witnessed?

I agree with this tbh. At best, you can make your opinion vicariously through others or listen on radio, watch highlights, read reports etc. But any opinion based on such media must be clarified as such.

You can't be the evidence of your own eyes when watching football, and it will always hold more weight than a vicarious opinion.

I bet Sam has no doubts!

I agree that stats are meaningless and quite often managers hide behind them. The only stat that matters is goals and on Saturday Burnley scored 100% of them.

That too is a disappointing comment if I'm allowed to say. Personally I'd take Paul's (who was at the game) opinion before statistics and someone who did not attend any time. You know the saying, lies, damned lies and statistics.

Stats prove nothing but if you were at the game I'll respect your opinion even if I do not agree with it.

I was and unfortunately the only game I've missed was Cardiff and after watching utter garbage all season I'm debating whether or not to bother tonight

I'm not getting Into the boycott debate but if the dross served up on the pitch not helped mind you by the clown Coyle.. I reckon the boycott will grow

I agree with this tbh. At best, you can make your opinion vicariously through others or listen on radio, watch highlights, read reports etc. But any opinion based on such media must be clarified as such.

You can't be the evidence of your own eyes when watching football, and it will always hold more weight than a vicarious opinion.

Some people can watch a game and still not have a clue.

I believe LDRover did qualify his opinion insofar as making it clear he was commenting on statistics.

There's a certain level of feistiness on here at the moment, probably because everyone has had enough of being VenkyBitches

The boycott debate has become a whole new issue in itself. Those that boycott think they're far more advanced in their anti-Venky campaign than those that don't; those that don't boycott believe their opinion to be superior to the boycotters. Useless argument really.

However, I do lean towards the fact that boycotting doesn't work. And, using much loved stats, the attendance has dropped by 60+% since Venky's have taken over and we are no closer to having them gone than we were when everyone attended and launched vociferous in-ground protests. Combine this with my real-life view of what goes on in the ground and the lack of support for anti-Venky sentiments in the ground it is clear as day to anyone that we need those boycotters to come back and help out. The social media campaign has drummed up a lot of support but doesn't come close to a hostile match day atmosphere.

Sadly the view the boycotters will hold is: "I'm not putting anymore into the Venky's pockets!", which is false in itself as the money is going there anyway and the amount they'd make from STs is a drop in the ocean financially compared to a storm they would make protesting, or the old "I respect your decision, you respect mine" which, rightfully, I do. That doesn't mean we can't say that boycotting clearly hasn't worked - the proof is in the pudding.

Ultimately some people that boycott on here also advocate complete disengagement with the club under the guise of "doing something over and over again and expecting different results is insanity" - yet they continue to stay away from the club, and therefore become more and more disengaged, pick up new hobbies, find different ways to spend their saturdays, and it is having 0 impact on them. I would put everything I own on it that if everybody suddenly appeared for a game, launched a hostile in-game protest that either disrupted the match or even just rocked the stadium with Venky's Out chants (Which would pick up pace with more supporters in) would have far more of an impact than if we had a gate of say 3k.

Archived