BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Rovers Ruling

I have been talking tonight to a few people and one in particular came up with an idea which I really like.

Its called "The Rovers Ruling"

For the last 5 years we have campaigned on how the Rao's passed the fit and proper?, after all even now they have no family representation on the board.

My company each year has to go through a number of accreditation audits , which got me thinking.

We cannot change how the Raos came to power but as supporters we can play a big part in ensuring the fit and proper test is not a one time thing. In essence Im asking fellow supporters their thoughts on us campaigning that all clubs owners and directors should be annually audited to the fit and proper criteria which should in itself be improved.

This could be the biggest thing since the "Bosman Ruling".

This is not accusing the authorities of wrong doing, but is promoting a rule change to protect our national game.

Thoughts???

I have been talking tonight to a few people and one in particular came up with an idea which I really like.

For the last 5 years we have campaigned on how the Rao's passed the fit and proper?, after all even now they have no family representation on the board.

My company each year has to go through a number of accreditation audits , which got me thinking.

We cannot change how the Raos came to power but as supporters we can play a big part in ensuring the fit and proper test is not a one time thing. In essence Im asking fellow supporters their thoughts on us campaigning that all clubs owners and directors should be annually audited to the fit and proper criteria which should in itself be improved.

This is not accusing the authorities of wrong doing, but is promoting a rule change to protect our national game.

Thoughts???

Great idea, I am sure the Rao's are already failing on some the FA requirements of owners and corporate governance as it is

The problem is then is what are the implications of failing it? They can't force them to sell, just like you can't force anyone to buy it. Would it go down a points deduction side? If so, surely failing the FFP shows that you're an incompetent owner and therefore that test is already in place and they have failed it.

Anything that pushes them to go I'll support anyway.

The problem is then is what are the implications of failing it? They can't force them to sell, just like you can't force anyone to buy it. Would it go down a points deduction side? If so, surely failing the FFP shows that you're an incompetent owner and therefore that test is already in place and they have failed it.

Anything that pushes them to go I'll support anyway.

Do the FA not issue a licence to operate to owners ?

I suppose you could suspend their league membership if they failed bit I'm not sure it's practical and the league wouldn't go for it because it's an owners' club.

Nice idea, but not sure it's workable.

I was think more along the lines of, as owners you don't qualify to run an English football, not suspending the club membership per se.

They would have to take measures to qualify or sell their interest

I suppose you could suspend their league membership if they failed bit I'm not sure it's practical and the league wouldn't go for it because it's an owners' club.

Nice idea, but not sure it's workable.

Wish someone would suspend our league membership having to watch the tripe we are enduring currently.

Thoughts???

Turkeys voting for Christmas, I don't think that will ever happen.

I was think more along the lines of, as owners you don't qualify to run an English football, not suspending the club membership per se.

They would have to take measures to qualify or sell their interest

I don't think that's enforceable

What would you do of they refused to sell?

What happens if no one makes an offer?

I don't think that's enforceable

What would you do of they refused to sell?

What happens if no one makes an offer?

That's an easy one for the FA, just pass it on to one of their registered Agents or former business partners with ex FA employees to run the club they are penalising , as a sports agency and agent have already done it in the last 6 years and they don't seem to have a problem with it, so why not? they could plonk one of their suits on the board of the club to make it seem normal.

I think this is a possible angle. The Finance Industry would be a decent analogy,individuals can pass exams and tests to work in it but are then subjected to regular audits and retests every couple of years as well as having to operate within ever evolving compliance guidelines. From what I have witnessed it almost appears harder to stay within the boundaries then fall outside them. The offshoot is an Industry that isn't perfect but works very hard to ensure its standards, members and reputation are not tarnished. Largely I would say it works well.

Like all elements of our problem I believe the solution is in the quality and the type of the ammunition, the target, and the timing of the trigger being pulled. The F&PP criteria has been an approach I have been mulling over for a while now but as with all of this it needs to be executed perfectly. As well as getting all the right elements of the solution lined up, you need to factor in that we probably only get one clear shot.

Im pretty sure, even in your country, you cant run any organisation with only 1 active director or board member? In no way can 1 guy be a media spokesman, doing transfer deals, finance, chair meetings, etc. Its still such a ludicrous situation at present.

Those are questions that Wheelock or whoever needs to ask Cheston. How can a club progress, when 1 man is tasked with 5 different responsibilities.

I have advocated a change of target....to simply try all means to force the Raos to sell:

-it includes support for actions on 'reputation' in India

-support outside the ground and at the Wolves TV match(we need 1000 cards to smuggle in plus scarves)

-and asking the FA to 'revise' their ruling on Fit and Proper is absolutely correct.

We are attacking the Venkys obliquely;sensibly suggesting updating the rules because of new circumstances and the experience of the FA/EFL of the last 10 years; and Venkys are bound to fail( Company Structure,lack of Directors and zero Communication)

We have sensible things to put forward that do not look 'personal' but have the correct effect. I am at the match on Saturday and soon will have more time.

Guerilla tactics are the hardest for them to foil.

I think this is a possible angle. The Finance Industry would be a decent analogy,individuals can pass exams and tests to work in it but are then subjected to regular audits and retests every couple of years as well as having to operate within ever evolving compliance guidelines. From what I have witnessed it almost appears harder to stay within the boundaries then fall outside them. The offshoot is an Industry that isn't perfect but works very hard to ensure its standards, members and reputation are not tarnished. Largely I would say it works well.

Like all elements of our problem I believe the solution is in the quality and the type of the ammunition, the target, and the timing of the trigger being pulled. The F&PP criteria has been an approach I have been mulling over for a while now but as with all of this it needs to be executed perfectly. As well as getting all the right elements of the solution lined up, you need to factor in that we probably only get one clear shot.

3 clear shots, on target, sorted,

wonder how much that would cost in India

-and asking the FA to 'revise' their ruling on Fit and Proper is absolutely correct.

We are attacking the Venkys obliquely;sensibly suggesting updating the rules because of new circumstances and the experience of the FA/EFL of the last 10 years; and Venkys are bound to fail( Company Structure,lack of Directors and zero Communication)

This would be better served through asking concerned MP's, through the Sports Minister to put pressure on the FA

This would be better served through asking concerned MP's, through the Sports Minister to put pressure on the FA

Glen

Think this would be the way to be - however I am sure this has been mooted somewhere already and possibly being discussed ( remember reading it somewhere) - possibly the FSF and in regards to Fans ownership etc so might be worth approaching them.

It's a good idea. Would take some thinking through but it could work. Difficult to think how it could be enforceable but that's no reason not to pursue it. In some countries, certainly in France, all clubs have to have an annual financial audit if they fail it they can't play in their league that season. Many clubs have been relegated over the years for failing so it can work.

The big change would be that football would have to voluntarily decide to have a regulatory body with powers and I suspect that that would be the stumbling block as nearly all the clubs are being run along lines which would make any auditor wince. I suspect that the FA, PL and EFL currently have a compliance functions with about 3 people in total which, to supervise a multi-billion pound industry, is pathetic. Compare to other industries. If they expand I might apply for a job.

Archived