BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlie Mulgrew

Iceman

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were rumours about Mulgrew while Lambert was still here as I recall, I think he'd have signed regardless. He'll look less of a player under our current gaffer though, of that I'm sure.

Mulgrew three four years ago yes a definite yes...but now not now unfortuantely and defo not on a three year deal

Decent player if kept fit, but he won't be. Bit of a recurring theme in our signings these days. Versatility for a threadbare squad is good, and takes a very good free kick. In our current situation he's not the worst, but the 3 year deal is just Venky crazy. He must have thought he'd misheard Coyle on the phone "How long????"

There were rumours about Mulgrew while Lambert was still here as I recall, I think he'd have signed regardless. He'll look less of a player under our current gaffer though, of that I'm sure.

Nah! coyley has his own squad and has replaced all the shirkers didn't you know?

Oh hang on......we're bottom.......erm!

Mulgrew is as good a player as we could expect under current circs. Three years seems excessive mind.

He strikes an excellent dead ball - he will certainly be useful for any free kicks from the 20-30 yards mark, either whipping them in or for a direct shot.

He is a genuine utility player but I fear he lacks pace these days to be as good a full back as he once was - will do a solid job at CH or in midfield though.

As others have said, under normal circumstances (and a shorter contract) this would be a very decent signing.

• Backroom

If he stays fit he's a decent addition, but on a 3yr contract?

That's just madness.

It's par the course for this lot. Just another player and his agent hopping aboard the Rovers gravy train, though it may not have much longer on the tracks.

The fact he was released by Celtic months ago and has only just been "snapped up" says enough. He should be good enough for League One, at least, and he's played in that division before with Southend about 8 years ago.

I would be very surprised to see Guthrie in a Rovers shirt again after his comment on the Fulham game. My respect for him has increased massively though after that.

I still cant believe he was told to find a new club. He is another player like Mulgrew, that if he can stay fit, is a good footballer.

I still cant believe he was told to find a new club. He is another player like Mulgrew, that if he can stay fit, is a good footballer.

Agreed, but sadly it isn't always about your footballing skills at the minute.

There's a video of him (Mulgrew) on Roverstalk.com under "Transfer news and speculation". Appears to be playing central midfield. Appears to take a wicked free kick.

Iceman Quote

I'm really keen to hear more on him. For a start, is he right or left footed? Can he play right back? Can Hobhan play RB, and Mulgrew into CB alongside Greer. Ill take anybody at RB to get rid of Lowe
Okay so what the hell is? A midfielder or a CB? Or one of those who we can shift all over the place to fill a gap?

He used to be a CB who could play LB but now plays CM as well. Not an out-and-out ball winner but defensive minded with a decent left foot who can knock the ball about.

Takes good set pieces and will score the odd goal from open play as well.

Bit slow for left back these days, especially against a pacy winger.

At CB I like him because, although a bit slow, he's really adept at passing out from the back.

I'm not sure how much of a leader he is, I guess he is a bit, but he's meant to be a really likeable guy who everyone in the dressing room gets on with. If that makes a difference.

I'm not positive but I think Celtic only offered him a two year deal, so presumably he was only willing to go somewhere that offered him three years.

He's injury prone but I wouldn't say he's as bad as Grella, or even Guthrie. 50 odd appearances over the past two years I'm sure I read earlier. Not too bad considering he wasn't a guaranteed starter at Celtic.

We're doomed anyway under Coyle, but just in case people are interested.

• 1 year later...

DcIA6qbXcAATuEt.jpg:large

Put the BANTZ to one side, King Charles is obviously a proper leader and a superb player to boot.

Perhaps we would have stayed up in the first place with him as captain instead of Every Blade of Grass... 

• Backroom

We were doomed as soon as we appointed Coyle, unfortunately. Our team was good enough to avoid relegation but needed more than 'doughnut tuesdays' and 'five-a-side fridays' for motivation. 

On 01/09/2016 at 13:18, DE. said:

It's par the course for this lot. Just another player and his agent hopping aboard the Rovers gravy train, though it may not have much longer on the tracks.

The fact he was released by Celtic months ago and has only just been "snapped up" says enough. He should be good enough for League One, at least, and he's played in that division before with Southend about 8 years ago.

Hah, shows what you knew, past me. Bloody good player as it turns out, although you were right about him being good enough for League One. 

50 minutes ago, Biz said:

Always the same prophets of doom isn’t it!! :) 

Nope.

But taking that comment at face-value:

- An injury prone player joins a Championship club

- People worry he may not be up to it at that level

- He has an injury chequered season

- We are relegated

Surely the “prophets of doom” were proved right? Odd that I can’t see any gloating comments from said prophets though.

- 2 years later he is part of a team that finishes 2nd in L1

- Thread bumped

- ”Everyone laugh at the naysayers”

:) 

Just now, Stuart said:

Nope.

But taking that comment at face-value:

- An injury prone player joins a Championship club

- People worry he may not be up to it at that level

- He has an injury chequered season

- We are relegated

Surely the “prophets of doom” were proved right? Odd that I can’t see any gloating comments from said prophets though.

- 2 years later he is part of a team that finishes 2nd in L1

- Thread bumped

- ”Everyone laugh at the naysayers”

:) 

Stuart, do you always have to be "that guy"?

Seriously, without rancour, it was a bloody miracle that Mulgrew played as much football this season as he did. 

I hope it continues but we can't rely on it given his history.

21 minutes ago, 47er said:

Seriously, without rancour, it was a bloody miracle that Mulgrew played as much football this season as he did. 

I hope it continues but we can't rely on it given his history.

I agree. It was always a worry for me. I was on edge every time he went away with Scotland.

I haven't checked, but I feel he has hardly missed a game....

What a leader as well.I listened to his post match interview in a Sheffield hotel room....

Again, what an opportunity for "the others" to capitalise on....

Archived