BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlie Mulgrew

Iceman

1 minute ago, Rogerb said:

Charlie included in Scotland squad for away games against Peru and Mexico at the end of the month. On that basis he may get a months rest at most!

He will report back for pre season later than the others. Lenihan and Williams will also do the same.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Rogerb said:

Charlie included in Scotland squad for away games against Peru and Mexico at the end of the month. On that basis he may get a months rest at most!

Why the hell are Scotland taking him for pointless friendlies? , they should be trying out younger players for their forthcoming failure in the European Championship Qualifiers

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a new poster on here, but just looking back at some of the comments on page 1 about the madness of CM being given a 3 year contract in 2016 tickled me... Hindsight eh?! Just goes to show that all our well-reasoned & principled speculation about this season's need for signings of proven Championship quality, youth over experience, need for pace etc can turn out to be complete guff!! ?

1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

I'm a new poster on here, but just looking back at some of the comments on page 1 about the madness of CM being given a 3 year contract in 2016 tickled me... Hindsight eh?! Just goes to show that all our well-reasoned & principled speculation about this season's need for signings of proven Championship quality, youth over experience, need for pace etc can turn out to be complete guff!! ?

It was madness as he couldn’t stay fit and we were relegated. He has become a Rovers hero on the back of a season in League One. Let’s see how he does this coming season back in the Championship before crowing.

16 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

In fairness it's Mowbray that has said all that.

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

It was madness as he couldn’t stay fit and we were relegated. He has become a Rovers hero on the back of a season in League One. Let’s see how he does this coming season back in the Championship before crowing.

He made 32 appearances for Rovers that first season. 

16 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

The number of times Rovers have been stung by those types of signings it's no wonder there was concern and there is only one set of people to blame and it isn't the fans.

Thank god CM worked out ok as I can quote you a list of players as long as my arm that didn't.

I remember a number of experts on here saying they didn't rate Bale and wasn't worth signing.

Football message boards are generally full of uninformed guff.

Just now, toogs said:

I remember a number of experts on here saying they didn't rate Bale and wasn't worth signing.

Football message boards are generally full of uninformed guff.

That disclaimer should be legally required on the front page of every football message board!   

• Backroom

Judging by the majority of pre and post match comments most managers and pundits are full of guff too tbf. Is there a difference between informed guff and uninformed guff? 

• Backroom
30 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They get paid for it.

So do YouTubers tbf. Some of the idiots on ArsenalFanTV have made legitimate "vlogging" careers off the back of that nonsense!

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

He made 32 appearances for Rovers that first season. 

I know and we were relegated.

Interestingly though, our goals conceded was fairly average and it was actually our pitiful lack of goals that cost us. Interesting that some people still don’t think Rhodes was any use because “all he did was scored goals”. But I digress.

We are where we are with Charlie. I’m glad he is our player having been promoted from L1 but overall our squad and “manager” - so called - weren’t good enough. Let’s hope they are this time around. My feeling is that without a new first team CB we could struggle. We could play Lenihan slightly further forward and have Smallwood as understudy. That would feel like a triple improvement: better CB, better CDM, better cover.

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

I know and we were relegated.

Interestingly though, our goals conceded was fairly average and it was actually our pitiful lack of goals that cost us. Interesting that some people still don’t think Rhodes was any use because “all he did was scored goals”. But I digress.

We are where we are with Charlie. I’m glad he is our player having been promoted from L1 but overall our squad and “manager” - so called - weren’t good enough. Let’s hope they are this time around. My feeling is that without a new first team CB we could struggle. We could play Lenihan slightly further forward and have Smallwood as understudy. That would feel like a triple improvement: better CB, better CDM, better cover.

I think you've got a good point regarding getting a more commanding centre half in with a view to Lenihan moving forward.

6 hours ago, tomphil said:

The number of times Rovers have been stung by those types of signings it's no wonder there was concern and there is only one set of people to blame and it isn't the fans.

Thank god CM worked out ok as I can quote you a list of players as long as my arm that didn't.

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

In fairness it's Mowbray that has said all that.

Both true, and accepted. It just amused me to read the start of this thread and compare those initial legitimate concerns (esp as he was a Coyle signing) to how we now view him. I suppose looking back at threads for Whittingham, Murphy, Best, Etuhu etc. might provide similar enlightenment but the opposite way round. I'm not going to check as it would be too depressing. (OK, maybe not Best)

28 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Both true, and accepted. It just amused me to read the start of this thread and compare those initial legitimate concerns (esp as he was a Coyle signing) to how we now view him. I suppose looking back at threads for Whittingham, Murphy, Best, Etuhu etc. might provide similar enlightenment but the opposite way round. I'm not going to check as it would be too depressing. (OK, maybe not Best)

Correct - most were enthralled when Whittingham signed. I am not even going to talk of Murphy, Etuhu and the like.

Works both ways fella.

Archived