Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iceman

[Archived] Charlie Mulgrew

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Rogerb said:

Charlie included in Scotland squad for away games against Peru and Mexico at the end of the month. On that basis he may get a months rest at most!

He will report back for pre season later than the others. Lenihan and Williams will also do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rogerb said:

Charlie included in Scotland squad for away games against Peru and Mexico at the end of the month. On that basis he may get a months rest at most!

Why the hell are Scotland taking him for pointless friendlies? , they should be trying out younger players for their forthcoming failure in the European Championship Qualifiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have McKenna and Hendry plays and Souttar has been called up Robertson and Tierney been rested so Mulgrew wil back up the left back Douglas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why wouldn’t the national team captain go on this trip and play the games.? He’ll have a couple of weeks off now, a few after the trip and then probably an extra week on top. No need for concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a new poster on here, but just looking back at some of the comments on page 1 about the madness of CM being given a 3 year contract in 2016 tickled me... Hindsight eh?! Just goes to show that all our well-reasoned & principled speculation about this season's need for signings of proven Championship quality, youth over experience, need for pace etc can turn out to be complete guff!! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

I'm a new poster on here, but just looking back at some of the comments on page 1 about the madness of CM being given a 3 year contract in 2016 tickled me... Hindsight eh?! Just goes to show that all our well-reasoned & principled speculation about this season's need for signings of proven Championship quality, youth over experience, need for pace etc can turn out to be complete guff!! 😁

It was madness as he couldn’t stay fit and we were relegated. He has become a Rovers hero on the back of a season in League One. Let’s see how he does this coming season back in the Championship before crowing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"it is getting bigger and bigger and soon its going to be massive"........:unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

I'm a new poster on here, but just looking back at some of the comments on page 1 about the madness of CM being given a 3 year contract in 2016 tickled me... Hindsight eh?! Just goes to show that all our well-reasoned & principled speculation about this season's need for signings of proven Championship quality, youth over experience, need for pace etc can turn out to be complete guff!! 😁

In fairness it's Mowbray that has said all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Stuart said:

It was madness as he couldn’t stay fit and we were relegated. He has become a Rovers hero on the back of a season in League One. Let’s see how he does this coming season back in the Championship before crowing.

He made 32 appearances for Rovers that first season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

I'm a new poster on here, but just looking back at some of the comments on page 1 about the madness of CM being given a 3 year contract in 2016 tickled me... Hindsight eh?! Just goes to show that all our well-reasoned & principled speculation about this season's need for signings of proven Championship quality, youth over experience, need for pace etc can turn out to be complete guff!! 😁

The number of times Rovers have been stung by those types of signings it's no wonder there was concern and there is only one set of people to blame and it isn't the fans.

Thank god CM worked out ok as I can quote you a list of players as long as my arm that didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember a number of experts on here saying they didn't rate Bale and wasn't worth signing.

Football message boards are generally full of uninformed guff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, toogs said:

I remember a number of experts on here saying they didn't rate Bale and wasn't worth signing.

Football message boards are generally full of uninformed guff.

That disclaimer should be legally required on the front page of every football message board!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging by the majority of pre and post match comments most managers and pundits are full of guff too tbf. Is there a difference between informed guff and uninformed guff? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DE. said:

Judging by the majority of pre and post match comments most managers and pundits are full of guff too tbf. Is there a difference between informed guff and uninformed guff? 

They get paid for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They get paid for it.

So do YouTubers tbf. Some of the idiots on ArsenalFanTV have made legitimate "vlogging" careers off the back of that nonsense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14 May 2018 at 20:45, arbitro said:

He will report back for pre season later than the others. Lenihan and Williams will also do the same.

Williams ? Who does he play for - Treasure Island ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DE. said:

So do YouTubers tbf. Some of the idiots on ArsenalFanTV have made legitimate "vlogging" careers off the back of that nonsense!

Incredible 

When I see the money some of those Youtubers make, I lose faith in our current society 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hasta said:

He made 32 appearances for Rovers that first season. 

I know and we were relegated.

Interestingly though, our goals conceded was fairly average and it was actually our pitiful lack of goals that cost us. Interesting that some people still don’t think Rhodes was any use because “all he did was scored goals”. But I digress.

We are where we are with Charlie. I’m glad he is our player having been promoted from L1 but overall our squad and “manager” - so called - weren’t good enough. Let’s hope they are this time around. My feeling is that without a new first team CB we could struggle. We could play Lenihan slightly further forward and have Smallwood as understudy. That would feel like a triple improvement: better CB, better CDM, better cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stuart said:

I know and we were relegated.

Interestingly though, our goals conceded was fairly average and it was actually our pitiful lack of goals that cost us. Interesting that some people still don’t think Rhodes was any use because “all he did was scored goals”. But I digress.

We are where we are with Charlie. I’m glad he is our player having been promoted from L1 but overall our squad and “manager” - so called - weren’t good enough. Let’s hope they are this time around. My feeling is that without a new first team CB we could struggle. We could play Lenihan slightly further forward and have Smallwood as understudy. That would feel like a triple improvement: better CB, better CDM, better cover.

I think you've got a good point regarding getting a more commanding centre half in with a view to Lenihan moving forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tomphil said:

The number of times Rovers have been stung by those types of signings it's no wonder there was concern and there is only one set of people to blame and it isn't the fans.

Thank god CM worked out ok as I can quote you a list of players as long as my arm that didn't.

 

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

In fairness it's Mowbray that has said all that.

Both true, and accepted. It just amused me to read the start of this thread and compare those initial legitimate concerns (esp as he was a Coyle signing) to how we now view him. I suppose looking back at threads for Whittingham, Murphy, Best, Etuhu etc. might provide similar enlightenment but the opposite way round. I'm not going to check as it would be too depressing. (OK, maybe not Best)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

 

Both true, and accepted. It just amused me to read the start of this thread and compare those initial legitimate concerns (esp as he was a Coyle signing) to how we now view him. I suppose looking back at threads for Whittingham, Murphy, Best, Etuhu etc. might provide similar enlightenment but the opposite way round. I'm not going to check as it would be too depressing. (OK, maybe not Best)

Correct - most were enthralled when Whittingham signed. I am not even going to talk of Murphy, Etuhu and the like.

Works both ways fella.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, toogs said:

I remember a number of experts on here saying they didn't rate Bale and wasn't worth signing.

Football message boards are generally full of uninformed guff.

JAL? It was JAL wasn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.