BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlie Mulgrew

Iceman

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Stuart, do you always have to be "that guy"?

Ad hominem

But out of interest, why didn’t you make that remark to Biz following his dig?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Nope.

But taking that comment at face-value:

- An injury prone player joins a Championship club

- People worry he may not be up to it at that level

- He has an injury chequered season

- We are relegated

Surely the “prophets of doom” were proved right? Odd that I can’t see any gloating comments from said prophets though.

- 2 years later he is part of a team that finishes 2nd in L1

- Thread bumped

- ”Everyone laugh at the naysayers”

:) 

Wow, you’re tense at the moment Stuart, I hope everything is ok! 

Thing is, I was referring (jokingly mind) to a few on this page that I’ve had the same unbalanced arguments with on this website for years. Athlete and Rovers Shaun are fantastic examples. 

One reason for being fair, balanced and non-reactionary is so these things (in hindsight) don’t bite you on the arse.

I can guarantee that I’ve probably made a gaffe in prediction or reaction to something previously, but I guarantee you’d struggle to find many. For the aforementioned, just pick any thread created in 2012-18 ;) 

Wow it has come to this...again...lets dredge up old posts to score points.

Was Mulgrew injury prone or not before we signed him? 

If not - why would he be with us and not elsewhere?

He was injury prone and probably still is. He has had an excellent season and miraculously stayed fit.

Perhaps those that were worried should dredge up this old thread again should he suffer multiple injuries next season.

Pathetic. 

Just went into his injury record a few hours ago on another thread. It was worth the risk then (considering how limited the budget was and his talent) so saying it now without the benefit of hindsight. If it wasn't Coyle who made the signing less people would have questioned it. Some people said it was too big a risk considering how low the budget was but I couldn't agree. When the club resigned Dunn I was irritated (granted because he's a clown as well as his injury record) because the club didn't need him as much. Of course if he had been injured even more than he was the club was in a stronger position. That's exactly why I thought the club didn't need him though. If Mulgrew had been injured for the vast majority of the past 2 seasons it would have been disastrous but the clubs position was so weak it would have been foolish not to take the chance. 

7 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Just went into his injury record a few hours ago on another thread. It was worth the risk then (considering how limited the budget was and his talent) so saying it now without the benefit of hindsight. If it wasn't Coyle who made the signing less people would have questioned it. Some people said it was too big a risk considering how low the budget was but I couldn't agree. When the club resigned Dunn I was irritated (granted because he's a clown as well as his injury record) because the club didn't need him as much. Of course if he had been injured even more than he was the club was in a stronger position. That's exactly why I thought the club didn't need him though. If Mulgrew had been injured for the vast majority of the past 2 seasons it would have been disastrous but the clubs position was so weak it would have been foolish not to take the chance. 

I think he was linked to us earlier under a different manager and his fitness was pointed then as a worry. At the time though he was considered a midfielder who could cover left back. Many said if he was fit more often he would be playing at a higher level.

• Backroom

Am I right in thinking he only played half of our league games during the relegation season? If so then the questions over his fitness/injury levels were justified at the time. Goes without saying that he's had a superb year this season in terms of fitness and form, but it's at a level lower than we bought him for. Fingers crossed next season will see more of the same. 

10 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Was it not mentioned on here a few times in a couple of other threads that Lambert had arranged bringing him in and when Coyle was appointed he just went along with the deal?

Not sure if there’s any evidence to back that up outside of who said it however!

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Am I right in thinking he only played half of our league games during the relegation season? If so then the questions over his fitness/injury levels were justified at the time. Goes without saying that he's had a superb year this season in terms of fitness and form, but it's at a level lower than we bought him for. Fingers crossed next season will see more of the same. 

Big season for him next year from a personal level, captaining Scotland, captaining us, twilight of his career. A promotion to the Premiership would be a nice addition to the CV in the next couple of years. 

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, schoey said:

Was it not mentioned on here a few times in a couple of other threads that Lambert had arranged bringing him in and when Coyle was appointed he just went along with the deal?

Not sure if there’s any evidence to back that up outside of who said it however!

I believe there had been some interest from Lambert initially, but I think that's all it was, I don't think anything was in place.

At least, that's what someone said on here, so it could well be nonsense.

22 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I believe there had been some interest from Lambert initially, but I think that's all it was, I don't think anything was in place.

At least, that's what someone said on here, so it could well be nonsense.

Lets just pretend it was Lambert, lesser of 2 evils 

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

This is why he needs to continue playing at centre half. Never understood those saying he should play further up the pitch; there's a reason why he's barely been injured this season. It's so refreshing to have a decent captain leading the charge for a change.

Yep. And also, along with Danny Graham, I'd imagine his training sessions have been well-managed.

18 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

This is why he needs to continue playing at centre half. Never understood those saying he should play further up the pitch; there's a reason why he's barely been injured this season. It's so refreshing to have a decent captain leading the charge for a change.

Will some on here still be calling for Mulgrew into Centre midfield next season I wonder. I bet there will...

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Will some on here still be calling for Mulgrew into Centre midfield next season I wonder. I bet there will...

Probably, but hopefully it won't even be an option in the eyes of the few on here if we bring in one or two quality additions for the middle of the park.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Probably, but hopefully it won't even be an option in the eyes of the few on here if we bring in one or two quality additions for the middle of the park.

Even as things stand, Mulgrew in center midfield is not an option for numerous reasons. That day is gone and he and we are all the better for it 

4 hours ago, schoey said:

I don't know if it's true but I'm going to start believing it and pedalling the myth until it's as true as the zidane Sherwood story

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I don't know if it's true but I'm going to start believing it and pedalling the myth until it's as true as the zidane Sherwood story

I don't understand why you're so determined to believe something used to mock Jack.

On 9/1/2016 at 13:09, oldjamfan1 said:

Mulgrew is as good a player as we could expect under current circs. Three years seems excessive mind.

He strikes an excellent dead ball - he will certainly be useful for any free kicks from the 20-30 yards mark, either whipping them in or for a direct shot.

He is a genuine utility player but I fear he lacks pace these days to be as good a full back as he once was - will do a solid job at CH or in midfield though.

As others have said, under normal circumstances (and a shorter contract) this would be a very decent signing.

That fella knew what he was talking about.

Archived