SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlie Mulgrew

Iceman

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Both true, and accepted. It just amused me to read the start of this thread and compare those initial legitimate concerns (esp as he was a Coyle signing) to how we now view him. I suppose looking back at threads for Whittingham, Murphy, Best, Etuhu etc. might provide similar enlightenment but the opposite way round. I'm not going to check as it would be too depressing. (OK, maybe not Best)

In a way the Mulgrew signing restored a bit of faith that there is quality you can get in if you pay the wage and he's of the right character, they are few and far between though.

Still can't believe clownpants had his name on the Mulgrew signing although there has been talk he was being lined up to come anyway. But then again we did get lumbered with Stokes as well so there's a downside to everything which kind of brings us back to the original point of some viewing most signings with extreme caution these days.

10 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Correct - most were enthralled when Whittingham signed. I am not even going to talk of Murphy, Etuhu and the like.

Works both ways fella.

You can look back to what I had to say about the Whittingham signing any time you like. I was concerned that it was a season too far for him.

7 hours ago, tomphil said:

In a way the Mulgrew signing restored a bit of faith that there is quality you can get in if you pay the wage and he's of the right character, they are few and far between though.

This I agree with, & with a proper recruitment team in place there could be more. I think Mowbray & Co are shrewd enough to spot them. Previous managers have signed some great 30+ players in the twilight of their careers at value for money / free (Moran, Gale, Short, Tugay etc.). Most of the rubbish ones were on Kean & Coyle's, but they're not proper managers like MacKay, Kenny, Souness & Hughes.

27 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You can look back to what I had to say about the Whittingham signing any time you like. I was concerned that it was a season too far for him.

Did say 'most' tbf

46 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Gordan Cowans and Mark Hughes too

Mark Hughes’ game was altered significantly and he played much deeper. Loved Hughsey playing for us. No nonsense. And a memory of a great period for us.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

What a volleyer!

One top goal he scored that you see very rarely  these days is the one in the early 1990's for United v Barcelona in a really big game , a final ? 

He's through the middle on a break away, the Barca goalie comes flying out of his goal  forcing him out wide on the right. As he catches up with the ball the Barca defence is streaming back to cover the line with the goalie out of the game. If he side foots the ball towards goal the defenders will get back in time. So he absolutely hammers it into goal, like threading a needle. The sort of goal only the players with the very best technique can score.

It'll be on the internet somewhere.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

One top goal he scored that you see very rarely  these days is the one in the early 1990's for United v Barcelona in a really big game , a final ? 

He's through the middle on a break away, the Barca goalie comes flying out of his goal  forcing him out wide on the right. As he catches up with the ball the Barca defence is streaming back to cover the line with the goalie out of the game. If he side foots the ball towards goal the defenders will get back in time. So he absolutely hammers it into goal, like threading a needle. The sort of goal only the players with the very best technique can score.

It'll be on the internet somewhere.

This one ?

All three of them were.

The Europa League is a case in point. As it now just follows the exact format of the Champions League, it further emphasises how third rate it now is - especially with clubs knocked out the CL falling into it.

27 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I agree Stuart. It is way too convoluted which means clubs in the bigger leagues don't care until the semi finals as they are focusing on their league position. And all the Champions League drop outs should just be out of it.

Allowing CL drop outs to join the later stages was the biggest insult to the competition and the other teams involved. If it is a tournament between Europe’s also-rans the it should only be them throughout.

Mind you when a team that finishes fourth could potentially be crowned ‘Champion of Champions’ then the whole thing is s bit of a joke.

FIFA will eventually destroy the World Cup and turn the first stages into a similar snore fests.

This has completely passed me by Matt.

So it looks like there will be a seeded competition next Summer with England along with eleven other teams (4 groups of three). The winners and runners up qualify automatically and the losers have a play-off match for a final spot. So 5 teams qualify. The rest go into (relegated) to normal qualifiers?

So in essence a bit like Champions League and Europa League (spit) with the worst of the seeded teams going into the secondary pot.

This means there is less chance of the ‘better’ teams slipping up although the ‘minnows’ won’t get a top team in qualifying but they should have a better chance of making it as they are more likely to be playing another minnow.

Although I could have got that completely wrong!

11 minutes ago, Stuart said:

This has completely passed me by Matt.

So it looks like there will be a seeded competition next Summer with England along with eleven other teams (4 groups of three). The winners and runners up qualify automatically and the losers have a play-off match for a final spot. So 5 teams qualify. The rest go into (relegated) to normal qualifiers?

So in essence a bit like Champions League and Europa League (spit) with the worst of the seeded teams going into the secondary pot.

This means there is less chance of the ‘better’ teams slipping up although the ‘minnows’ won’t get a top team in qualifying but they should have a better chance of making it as they are more likely to be playing another minnow.

Although I could have got that completely wrong!

Thanks for the summary Stu, although I’m non the wiser!!

Archived